Renault Twingo Mk 1

RichardK

I figured FRICKEN LASERS would shine some light on it.

They did. It's raised*.

*was.

There's a small area of corrosion (very light textured) on the alloy head head, near a water channel but comfortably within the gasket seal, so I'm leaving that alone. Similarly there's an unused water channel that has an outlet on the block, but not the gasket or head, which had a textured feel. I was initially worried it had been blocked by some stop-leak type crap, but it cleaned up to metal. The channel used is ahead of it - perhaps different cooling designs for different heads.

Still waiting for parts now, but down to "finish cleaning, paint the block with some black engine paint and a brush, fit the shiny new Bosch waterpump kit and new timing belt to the bottom pulley, vacuum it all AGAIN really thoroughly, degrease really thoroughly, and reassemble". If my parts arrive in time I could have this bolted back together by the weekend and mobile again by the end of the month.

I have decided that there's only so far I am going to go so if there is another issue when it's reassmbled, then I'll go for buying a healthy Clio and stealing the engine from it.

Think I've managed to buy the right radiator this time. Hella, £55. Not the cheapest, but the old Valeo was utterly fucked.

eBay had two listed from suspicious places. £5.99 and £10.98. Said they were in Leicester, brand was "Dromedary". Not sure I want my radiator to retain the water, per se. Fortunately the diagrams looked like the outlets were wrong so I didn't risk it, but... a new radiator for £5.99...

I have decided that there's only so far I am going to go so if there is another issue when it's reassmbled, then I'll go for buying a healthy Clio and stealing the engine from it.

Let's hope it's ok then, so that you don't have to read quotes about 'just get another used engine man' from various characters at the beginning of this thread!

Let's hope it's ok then, so that you don't have to read quotes about 'just get another used engine man' from various characters at the beginning of this thread!

At the beginning of the thread I had an option of, and bought, a brand new engine for £475. Since those idiots dropped said engine... I also had plenty of "just swap the gasket and see" - and as predicted the costs of that are mounting and labour increasing (but then I am not equipped with the best stuff for cleaning this engine up).

All useful advice but had the new engine not been on offer then I'd probably have gone for secondhand anyway.

Waiting for things to arrive (including more sanding blocks, as I seem to have misplaced the one I was using on Monday. Lost, one WD40-soaked disgusting sanding block. If found please throw away).

Here's where I think the casting blocks a water gallery present on the block. The one beside it goes to the thermostat housing.

post-19568-0-92706900-1503483722_thumb.jpg

Lovely new water pump, fitted with belt tensioner and cleaned up + new gasket outlet from the old one.

post-19568-0-05996600-1503483744_thumb.jpg

Disgusting old radiator.

post-19568-0-75157300-1503483788_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up, rust-preventing (some surface on the inner rail where the engine mount fits) and... PUTTING THINGS BACK IN THEIR PLACES! This is where I'm just messing with wire brush and rust convertor on stupid things like the battery clamp and the bracket that holds the lower part of the engine mount.

I have new mounts for the gearbox and rear of the engine, too.

post-19568-0-47736300-1503483812_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-95980700-1503483879_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-35297700-1503483902_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-71087200-1503483930_thumb.jpg

Engine block getting stripped (still have to clean the area that was behind the alternator mount) for some black engine paint. Guess who forgot to buy brushes...

post-19568-0-00161500-1503483853_thumb.jpg

And the alternator mount and engine mount/pulley cover getting cleaned...

post-19568-0-37618500-1503483954_thumb.jpg

nigel bickle, on 19 Aug 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:nigel bickle, on 19 Aug 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:nigel bickle, on 19 Aug 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Coincidentally, there's a yellow one in Dunkirk .( Grand Synthe- which is actually closer to the Dunkirk ferry, than Dunkirk) for 200 euros!

For parts obviously, cos it'll have the standard rust- but as John F will confirm, that's no deal breaker.

200! If I wasn't bed bound, I'd be all over that.

Confirmed!

TADTS. Front inner wings behind the shocks and rear ends of the sills, particularly the driver's (left-hand) sill. Careful welding is required here because of the proximity of the plastic fuel tank, which is not easy to remove without dismantling half of the rear of the car.

Also check the back of the front wheelarches 'cos they're a notorious mud trap.

Got more sanding blocks.

post-19568-0-59730200-1503498612_thumb.jpg

The suspicious area where the gasket had failed, btw - feels completely smooth now.

post-19568-0-52989200-1503498632_thumb.jpg

(Don't worry, the engine is covered) also got some little wire brushes to help with localised rust prevention. This is barely worth the effort - a tiny patch on the slam panel - but may as well stop it.

post-19568-0-22159500-1503498656_thumb.jpg

Soon. Soon it will emerge from the dusty cavern. Once the paint and brushes have arrived, and the block has been painted and dried, I'll pour oil down the oilways to (hopefully) wash dirt and crap out, wipe the bores and so forth with a tack rag (bought new ones for this), clean the surface of the cylinder head and the engine block with isopropyl alcohol and lint-free cloth, wash hands, put on fresh gloves, and fit the new gasket. Then new timing belt on and set up according to whatever is needed, and engine mount back on, starter motor back, alternator and bracket, inlet manifold, wiring brackets, then radiator, then build up the top bits, check valve clearances while I'm at it. Retorqueing the cylinder head bolts after running will be an unwelcome faff due to the way the inlet manifold is designed, but I assume, a necessary one?

So, a rundown of what I've spent:

Random paint and consumables: About £25.

Oil filter: £6.29

Air filter: £6.50something.

Hella radiator: £55 (took ages to find the absolutely, definitely correct one, so it had better be right). EDIT: FFS, not in stock.

Febi Thermostat: £18 (the gasket had failed on the old one, plus gunk).

Bosch timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit: £78

Head gasket set: £36 (still wondering whether to pop new valve stem seals in. I have them, after all. But I'd need to buy the tool).

New NGK BRK6EZ plugs - £10

Gearbox mount: £6

Rear engine mount: £6

Bits bought in error - about £26, consisting of AC condenser, radiator for 1993-1996 model and fan for the same.

Still to buy: Oil. Maybe leads. More waxoyl (ran out after doing the inner wing behind the expansion bottle. OAT coolant. Maybe new studs and bolts for the manifolds.

Still to do when the engine is reassembled: Change the brake fluid and gearbox oil. Hope the tyres - very unworn Michelins - are still good after two years of being inflated and rolled around a bit but a lot of standing.

post-19568-0-10297200-1503498685_thumb.jpg

And then I need to track down a glovebox with red handle that isn't broken, and a new interior light plastic. That is, I think, all that the interior needs to be good.

Oh, and I need wheeltrims. Forgot those. And maybe a rear bumper so I can do a better job of fitting a foglight.

Starter motor, alternator refitted, all torqued up, wiring going back on. Waiting for radiator, looked at the hoses and might replace those, so far have lost two small speednuts that hold the water bottles on and that seems to be it for wandering parts...

If I had the tack cloths for cleaning the block, bores and head, I would have refitted and torqued down the head tonight and got the timing belt on and checked for manual rotation.

It is looking very good. Not sure how that pulley got like that, reckon it's still usable?

Getting closer. It looks so nice, can't wait until it works again.

post-19568-0-17148400-1503921442_thumb.jpg

Weird, Amazon hasn't delivered things like supplies ordered last week, but got a back wiper for it last night and it arrived on a bank holiday.

post-19568-0-83772700-1503921487_thumb.jpg

Front wiper may prove interesting to source. I'm tempted to get a whole new arm for it as it feels kinda slack. Until then, just attach the bits I didn't need to remove to change the headgasket, but had removed in anticipation of an engine swap...

post-19568-0-16681600-1503921532_thumb.jpg

So it's at this stage.

Timing marks lining up after many rotations.

Torque adhered to and torque sequence followed. Everything done in order and all wiring and hoses reconnected, so far all secure.

Can't refit mount until timing belt tensioned fully. Will try starting it when the radiator and fiters are here, but it looks like an engine again...

post-19568-0-79516800-1503952629_thumb.jpg

Why, hello, Mr. DPD driver...

post-19568-0-00402600-1504014272_thumb.jpg

Fiddly bastard to fit, but...

post-19568-0-06676800-1504014370_thumb.jpg

It drove back out of the garage fine, ran up to the cooling fan kicking it, heater is hot, drained and refilled oil, running deionised water through before swapping for OAT coolant, no smoke, no steam, no misfire, no funny noises, no lights on the dash and no spare screws.