Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VW Sharan tdi - the diary of an amateur mechanic

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

The worst bit is when you have to wait at the lights for a few minutes. The windows in the back are all manual too so not easy to put down. I think I've lost a few pounds in weight today!
2004 VW Sharan 1.9 TDI SL - proving a very capable family wagon
1987 Toyota MR2 mk1 t-bar - currently SORN, need to use it more!

Previously...
2001 Peugeot 406 Estate GLX 2.0 Hdi - sold to a shiter
1993 Vauxhall Astra mk3 1.7D - sold to a shiter
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4Jtd 20v SW - sold to a shiter
2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi - dead, engine problem

#122 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

I've a few updates on this. It's all working fine and is proving a reliable old bus which I don't mind admitting I'm getting quite fond of. This is probably a bad thing as it's good to keep some distance from a vag car with high miles. I just want a few things sorting for France. Had two new infinity ecomax xl tyres on the front. I've just had a look at their website. It's not very good but confirms they're Chinese, made by the 3rd largest manufacturer in China apparently. I wouldn't usually go for such a budget option but there were hardly worn items on the front when I bought it and they've been quite impressive. No detectable slip wet or dry, not too noisy, seem to wear well. I've nowoe got a full set.

I bought an aircon recharge voucher for ATS from groupon for £28. I was wary of visiting a 'chain outlet' but I must say there were great. They couldn't charge it though as there is an obvious leak from somewhere. He used co2 I think to test it. He told me they wouldn't redeem the voucher so I could claim it back which I did within 5 mins when I got back. So, it didn't cost me anything but it's kaput. Will have to keep the windows open in France, apart from the passenger one which is currently disabled.

Finally, i changed the front drop links today. They both came off easily until the last bolt wouldn't undo on each one. One had a but on the back and the other an Allen key was needed. I tried my angle grinder but that was a bit scary and I feared for my fingers so used a file in the end. New ones fitted and no clunks! Took me about 5 hours but quite chuffed with myself as I've not done them before. Using two jacks to raise the front of the car was also a learning experience. I used 2 axle stands and also checked some wood under there as didn't want that thing on top of me!

Attached Images

• IMG_20170702_142655.jpg
  • IMG_20170702_151058.jpg

• Heidel_Kakao, KruJoe, chodweaver and 1 other like this

Previously...

#123 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 3,583 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Glad it's going well. 

They test aircon by putting a vacuum in the system (ie sucking everything out) if it won't hold a vacuum then there's a leak.

Possibly worth an investigate to see if there is an obvious leak on a pipe or something, only drawback is you could spend ages chasing it and buying parts and still end up with no working aircon.

Running the Great North Run 2017 for https://www.tommys.org/ - sponsor me please!

http://uk.virginmone...om/davidquashie

2002 Citroen Berlingo Multispace HDi
2001 Alfa 156 Rotwagon

1993 Vespa PX125
Assorted pushbikes

#124 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

Glad it's going well.

They test aircon by putting a vacuum in the system (ie sucking everything out) if it won't hold a vacuum then there's a leak.

Possibly worth an investigate to see if there is an obvious leak on a pipe or something, only drawback is you could spend ages chasing it and buying parts and still end up with no working aircon.

Thanks. He definitely pumped some gas through it. He recommended a place locally who could look at it but I'm going to leave it for the moment. A web search reveals it's not the most reliable system and plenty of people spent £1000+ when they were newer and it packed up.

Previously...

#125 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Done a few miles in this now. It feels so much better without the clunking of the drop links. Seems to have firmed things up when cornering too but that might be my imagination.

Another little job was trying to restore MW reception which was non existent. After a bit of Google research it was suggested I buy an aerial signal booster a bit like this one although mine is slightly different:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290546844402

It took me less than 5 mins to fit and it's worked. I can now listen to radio 5. It's not great reception but ok. Pleased with that.
  • Dave_Q, RichardK and SiC like this

Previously...

#126 ONLINE   cpjitservices

cpjitservices

• Full Members
  • 670 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Stripped Fred:

Ive just had a thought

Not sure whether this is applicable: but when I had my Galaxy I had the misfortune of it burning out its under the bonnet fuse box. Located bottom right of the engine bay. Very very bad news and very common. Not sure whetehr you have this on your Sharan - if you do - check it. It's about the clamps the wiring is held onto - not strong enough or something I think and it causes heat which melts the wiring and fuse box.

2 clips on the right hand side of the fuse box If I remember correctly.

Ill add a pic.

Think it was officially called the 'Battery fuse box'.

Attached Images

• sharan.JPG

• stripped fred likes this

#127 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

Decided to change the pollen filter last night as there's not much air coming through the vents. Bloody hell, it's hard to get to! Tucked right under the bulkhead at the back. I was hampered by a wiper arm that wouldn't come undone. I bought a puller a few weeks ago but I can't find it which is a bit frustrating. I managed to remove the old filter but there was no way I could get the new one in without removing more things. I also couldn't get this piece of plastic board back which slides under the bulkhead. I've not noticed any issues with leaving it off so may stay like that for the moment. No fumes coming through the events that I can tell. The photo was taken in the dark so difficult to make out.

Off to France tomorrow so little time and enthusiasm to start taking it apart again!

Attached Images

• IMG_20170713_215228.jpg

• cpjitservices likes this

Previously...

#128 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Decided to try and replace the plastic bulkhead cover (or whatever it's called). This was removed to try and replace the pollen filter.

You have to remove the wiper arms to allow the wiper mechanism to be moved out of the way. Still couldn't get the o/s wiper arm free. Access is limited as the plastic moulding gets in the way. Decided to use a crowbar. This resulted in snapping the support arm of the wiper mechanism. Great! It's now secured with cable ties.

I started the job at 6.30pm and finished at 10pm in the dark. I did manage to change the pollen filter but it's not a lot of use as all the air from the engine comes straight through the vents which I don't think is that healthy.

I seem to be going backwards at the moment. A fast depreciating car on PCP seems increasingly attractive! I've bought a used wiper mechanism off eBay for £35 so will attempt to change that when I have a fortnight spare.

On a positive note I did manage to change a headlight bulb without fucking anything up...

Attached Images

• IMG_20170816_203508.jpg

Previously...

#129 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 3,583 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

ALL MODERN WIPER LINKAGES R SHITE.

I managed to break the linkage on my wife's 147 when trying to clear out the plenum drains to get to the bottom of a leak. 

On that the linkage is made of steel tubes with the pivot/bearing bits made of moulded plastic crimped in the end.

Obviously once these get a bit old and brittle they break as soon as you breathe on them. 

New ones were £coinage but I bodged it up with cable ties and fibreglass.

It's not pretty but it's probably stronger than the original.

IMG_20170611_164303.jpg

IMG_20170611_192658.jpg

• stripped fred likes this

Running the Great North Run 2017 for https://www.tommys.org/ - sponsor me please!

http://uk.virginmone...om/davidquashie

2002 Citroen Berlingo Multispace HDi
2001 Alfa 156 Rotwagon

1993 Vespa PX125
Assorted pushbikes

#130 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

ALL MODERN WIPER LINKAGES R SHITE.

I managed to break the linkage on my wife's 147 when trying to clear out the plenum drains to get to the bottom of a leak.

On that the linkage is made of steel tubes with the pivot/bearing bits made of moulded plastic crimped in the end.

Obviously once these get a bit old and brittle they break as soon as you breathe on them.

New ones were £coinage but I bodged it up with cable ties and fibreglass.

It's not pretty but it's probably stronger than the original.

IMG_20170611_164303.jpg

IMG_20170611_192658.jpg

Thanks Dave_Q. That makes me feel a bit better.

I'm going to have a go at changing it when I've got some time spare and not under pressure to get it done for work the next day. Will buy one of those wiper pulleys as the wiper arm is properly seized on.

Previously...

#131 ONLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,316 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

Look at that brittle VAG plastic, I'd have broken it all.

#132 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

209k ownership summary:

I've done about 9k in this car now. I really like it for lots of reasons. It was quite cheap, has more space than I've ever come near to before, think van with windows, it drives nicely, great autobox, engine pulls well and doesn't feel like some would imagine a 209k engine would (mostly the non car people, not us). Also, and some may disagree, but I think the interiors on vw's tends to be good and it all feels well out together. I also like the bus like driving position.

On the other hand, it is so hot! Think greenhouse in the summer. Now i might be going soft but i keep dreaming of working aircon. Also, the seats could do with more under thigh support so can become uncomfortable on long journeys. I need to get the timing belt and water pump done but it's always a gamble with a £600 car. I think i will do it as I need it reliable.

I've been thinking about other cars but I'm skint and I want to get my money's worth out of it. Perhaps I just use it in winter and get another car for the summer, mmmm...

Previously...

#133 OFFLINE   philsford

philsford

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 95 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

For the last 12 months I have been running a Seat Alhambra 1.9tdi 130 and while they look a bit naff I agree that they are great tools and do everything you need them to. Mine is manual and 1 previous owner and currently on 123,000 miles. I have covered about 15,000 miles during my ownership. I have just drove it 900 miles to the south of France with just a loss of boost about 100 miles short of my destination. This was quickly fixed with my code reader and the problem has not returned. I was doing 130kph with the cruise control on when someone pulled into my lane forcing me to hit the brakes, there was no boost after that and the 10k to the next service area was slow.
Before I set off I had my air con repaired and gassed as I had a leak on the high and low pressure valves which were replaced and the bill was just £90. A week later and it's still kicking out beautiful cold air. The temperature here yesterday was 37 degrees and to be honest I wouldn't fancy that with no air con.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users