Two idiots and an MR2. Door sorted

HillmanImp

Since we bought the MR2 from Joe last year, we've done squat all with it, mainly because my mate whose house its at has been really busy with work and buying a new house and I've been busy with a new job and a falling down house.

Excuses aside, tomorrow is the day he moves into his new house and now we can't get into the bloody car. The lock in the door on both sides seems to have seized solid.

I've tried with a coathanger but it wont budge. My mate even managed to pry the window open and pull the door lever with a stick but where its the actual lock catch on both sides thats stuck so using the handles doesn't seem to work.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, its going to get a brick through either the passenger side window or roof (depending which we can get replaced cheaper) .

We've put plusgas as far in as possible so will see what happens in t'morning but I dont think it will make much difference.

Does anyone have any ideas before we brick the fecker?

Squirt in the plug gas and wiggle the key around. Wiggling has worked for me before.

If it is both sides, then somehow it seems both door latches have seized.

Is it a UK car? Reason I ask is mine are JDM (and tin top) so I have never owned one with factory remote central locking, if the car has it. It is a Rev 1, right?

Just thinking about the dead lock possibility, although I reckon they don't have it...

Never heard of that before. Tried asking on IMOC?

I just took two perfectly good T-Tops to the tip, the other week. Typical.

Or is it a sunroof car?

Its a t-top import and has central locking. Not sure about the deadlock, i wouldn't have thought so. I am going to try and get into the bonnet from underneath and replace the battery and see if it opens with the blipper

Might be an idea to ring the RAC though. Good suggestion, i hadn't thought of that.

Hold on - are there two keys with it? Or am I getting it confused with my Estima?

You did try both in both doors, right?

You're using the right set of keys, aren't you? Sounds daft. but I've got it wrong before.

As I remember, for this there were two similar looking metal keys, one of them a TOYOTA branded one, and a remote fob thing, which was completely bandaged up in electrical tape.

As standard it should come with a Toyota branded key and a metal one, both should be the same, though.

The door looms do break in these and can cause issues (my O/S window packed in), but this is a mechanical issue.

Keep trying the locks.

Yeah, tried them both in both llock (although I didn't know it had keyholes on both sides till tonight). Eor said it was stuck the other week. I assumed it was just the key bit that had seized over winter and that I'd just be able to get in with a coathanger but it seems not as I tried for a while but to no avail.

He's off work tomorrow so will try again in the light.

Sorry, to be clear, two different keys of a similar style (large metal keys without a placcy top), one was a copy from a key-cutter (for door), the other a Toyota branded one, I think this was the ignition key.

Though again, my Estima is like this and I might be remembering wrong!

My mate managed to get into it without a brick.

post-3133-0-40416300-1490286559_thumb.jpg

Car us now at its new home waiting for us to get off our arse and repair it.

post-3133-0-99156300-1490286604_thumb.jpg

From what I understand, in a previous attempt to open the door using the inside handle, there was a bit of Bamboo holding the handle in the open position. This meant that once the plusgas had worked, it still wouldn't unlock. As soon as he hooked this bit of wood out with a coathanger the door opened with the key. Not sure what the griff is with the passenger door yet but will update shortly. Panic over at least.

Ta for your help chaps.

there was a bit of Bamboo holding the handle in the open position.

Because that's totally normal and logical...?

Only on AS, eh. Glad you got it sorted without resorting to violent measures. Looks a lovely unmolested MR-2.

Looks tidy for a mk2 - great to see you've de-bambooed it without smashage as well.

I reckon the values for tidy, original examples is finally on the up too - they've been rock bottom for years now, but are definitely becoming a little thin on the ground.

Yep. It does look nice and tidy and original. Even down to the Rev 1 14" wheels and OMGDEATHOVERSTEER setup.

I keep mine pretty stock looking. Wheels, exhaust and brakes etc are different, along with the engine, but no wanky kits or TOMS snorkles and the like.

I have another rev 3 turbo, too. That one is totally original, even down to a CAT and airbox.

I am a firm believer that the non-wanked up ones will recieve the accolades they deserve, one day.

That said, gonna bang a turbo motor in, OP? :D

Ha ha no Josh!

P1120499_zps16a5fb7b.jpg

It was just the first image of it that I found last night - I just wanted to show Overrun which model it is.

That pic was actually at the place I bought it, but yeah, there was a shit-load of older tat that you'd love.

It was four years ago now, but I took many pics for you lot:

http://autoshite.com/topic/13392-joes-merde-more-pics-from-another-shiter/?p=410741

You're welcome!

Glad you're into it now Scotty, sorry for the hi-jack!