Which trolley jack? Jack your body.

Des

I bought this from the snapon man in about 1990, 

IMG_0721.jpg

Check that Vulgalor-spec brake drum. Datsun yo!

It's been a useful tool, shamefully I've kept it outside but it's always been ready for action although getting a bit leaky in recent years. I should see if a set of seals help although I'd expect to find corroded bits. Anyway, It's a very heavy old donk, wasn't a problem 25 years ago but these days my back mithers when I throw the bastard around, I was tempted by the Costco aluminium ones years back, I believe they're a bit crap now, anyone bought a good lightweight jack lately they'd recommend? 

Have had one of those rather fancy looking 'Racing' ally jacks from Machine Mart for a good few years. It's a bit noncy-looking but is very low and easy to use. The downsides are cost (got it on a VAT-free day offer) and rating - only 1.25T.

My other heavier one is again, MM, is their 2.25T affair, I don't think it's over heavy but maybe one to check out yourself. 

Have had one of those rather fancy looking 'Racing' ally jacks from Machine Mart for a good few years. It's a bit noncy-looking but is very low and easy to use. The downsides are cost (got it on a VAT-free day offer) and rating - only 1.25T.

My other heavier one is again, MM, is their 2.25T affair, I don't think it's over heavy but maybe one to check out yourself.

+1 we have one at work and it's fine on most if if not all cars, after all you only ever jack one end up at a time anyway. I wouldn't leave it outside though.

My mate has one of those fancy pants aluminium jobbies, its a fantastic looking thing and very low so good for getting under modernz...load of rubbish at picking them up though.  His may just be borked, but trying to lift my Mk3 Mondeo up the other week I was having to use so much force to get it off the ground I was convinced that the handle was going to snap or the whole thing explode.  I bottled it in the end due to fear of imminent personal injury and just left it high enough to get under and get the new Aux belt round the crank pulley without actually lifting it off the floor.  

I'm pretty sure one corner of it is less than the 1.5T it is supposedly rated to

Personally I've always just had one of those standard looking home-use 2T affairs from Halfords and the like.

halfrauds all the way for me.

I have a 2 tonne jobby that my Range rover slipped off when jacking, that fucked that else I have found them to be pretty reliable

use a 2.5tonne high lift job now that does everything for me except fit under the jaaaag. But then it is for Land Rover duties

Loads of good second hand ones about; I use two, a BFO bus sized jack and a small Halfrauds. The little un comes in useful as I work in single garages. Don't have any cars that would require a low profile jack. What I do use a lot are lumps of timber, I dislike axle stands intensely.

Big chunks of timber spread the load, are softer and don't dig in to underseal, using a trolley jack and various bits I can slowly lift a car bit by bit way further and safely off the ground.

Trolley jacks and lumps of timber are great for pushing engines and gearboxes about when changing cambelts, clutches and suspension components about, with or without a ramp.