Will Z3's become desirable/classic (expensive)?

The Reverend Bluejeans

I was watching 'Goldeneye' earlier where Pierce Brosnan angered Bond bores by driving a 1.9 Z3 when, as everyone knows, Bond only ever drives an Austen Fartin (apart from when he drove a Sunbeam Alpine, Lotus Esprit, 2CV).

It got me thinking - Goldenring is now 22 years old and the Z3 is the same. I never liked these much but I spotted this on Ebay and thought how simple and crisp it looks in a nice metallic pale green. The pre facelift version looked best.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-T-REG-BMW-Z3-GREEN-SPARES-OR-REPAIRS-NO-MOT-/311828246602?hash=item489a69704a:g:rPQAAOSwuxFYtW6F

Lots to recommend these. 

They don't rot badly

Based on E36 so no parts cost more than £13

Simple manual hood

Drive quite well

Worth fuck all

Cons?

You cannot be seen driving it with another chap in the passenger seat.

I reckon these might be the next 'thing'. Drive an MX5 and you're branded a track day bore. Anything British was shite to start with, costs £10'000 upwards (Cambridge Sports, Shitfire) and had been stripped and nailed back together 19 times.

Thinking of bidding on this green one, that's all.

post-3069-0-44495100-1490055495_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-56523900-1490055498_thumb.jpg

there is already some 'hammer' for them in UK from what I can see; mainly the kit car contingent - I think its 'legacy' or something kitcar company that make moulds to turn them into 50's ferarri look alikes (if you squint/don't know the difference); prices are on the rise...

I drove one here for a days or so, a good while back that a seller mate had for punting on; hooning it about getting the back to step out when the road was clear; good fun, but I wasn't exactly scaring myself silly... they share a lot more with bmw e36 compacts, rather than any other e36, from my scant knowledge; pan back axle wise...

Admittedly haven't check on the prices of these for a few years, but having seen a fair few having been 'Stanced' it should't be long until the prices slowly start to go up.  Also with it being part E36, surely parts are interchangeable and the cheapo one's will/have been gobbled up to maintain some of them?  

I know prices of the coupe are rather high these days though. 

Personally, can't stand the things, but I blame an ex for that...

Will unquestionably become 'Desirable'. Prob only the six cylinder ones, the fours will be allowed to generally die quietly (those that don't get upgunned to a six). It is one of those cars that is around the bottom of its depreciation curve and finding a good one to keep nice and flog to some hipsters in a couple of years will be a nice earner. 

As above - I can't stand the things either, years ago I dated a lady who had a 1.9 Z3 & thought the world of it, I personally thought it was an awful, dog-slow PoS to be honest. Not driven a six but still wouldn't part with money for one. The Z4 is better looking IMO but I don't want one of them either. 

The thing I find with these is that rather like the Scimitar SS1 the windscreen angle is too upright and also the hood when up looks too high. I saw one last week in the office car park and next to my MGF the forementioned angles give a top heavy and less sporty look.

The coupes however are a different thing altogether and as only higher versions were sold in the UK are not tainted by pov spec mules. They also have a strange look to them almost like an early Marcos but I do find these attractive.

The z3 is the basis for a number of kit car companies products where testing is avoided by panel changing rather than using a new chassis, if the faux Ferrari are avoided there are some good original designs that are better resolved than the original BMW, in my view.

It is interesting that these have languished mostly unloved whereas the MX5 from the same period is already classic material, I haven't driven one but I doubt these have the feel of the Mazda on the road, which is hard to beat for the money.

It is interesting that these have languished mostly unloved whereas the MX5 from the same period is already classic material, I haven't driven one but I doubt these have the feel of the Mazda on the road, which is hard to beat for the money

That's because they don't drive anything like an MX5. They are poles apart, about the only thing in common is they are both 2 seater convertables. My Mk1 '5 is a proper affordable sports car in the tradition of things, not everyone's taste or desire but I love them. It's not really fair to compare the two as the Z3 is not really a sports car as such, it's too stodgy and heavy, I see it as more a tourer/cruiser/GT type thing, more pose than use (designed primarily IIRC for the US market) - but then, I'm biased!!!!

I hope it doesn't get that expensive now that Spring is here.

The colour isn't my cup of tea but I believe it's quite a rarity being pistachio green and quite sort after and that interior looks lovely with the leather sports seats plus it's got the James Bond wheels on that green one but check the mirrors aren't broken as these are expensive even second hand and normally snap if they don't get pushed in from time to time. But there is a really good fix for the mirrors though as a German company now makes new mirror bases out of a plastic resin that eliminates the problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162435947875

My ex also had the MX5 in the past and although it handles slightly better I find the Z3 better suited for our potholed roads with softer suspension and I find it great fun to drive and you don't have the worry with rust like on the 5 and if it has any it will only be cosmetic as all the panels can be had cheaply secondhand and are bolt on.

My Z3 is one of the first as we didn't get them for another year in RHD and still looks like new and is rattle free it's a 4 pot M44 and it's no slouch with 140bhp as standard I think most of the earlier 4 pots had the M44 but on the early road tests the M43 engined car was used so I imagine 115/118 bhp would be a bit lacklustre.

I bought mine on a wet January 2 to 3 years ago now and I think it was about £1350 but although it was a real goodun with low mileage it has a rip in the roof and a boot full of water and moving seats hence the price which was sorted in no time and all I've done since then is serviced the car and changed the expansion tank which was £10 for a genuine item and a 10 minute job once it arrived.

The seats on yours if you buy it will most probably have some play in the runners as most have but it's a simple fix and the parts are dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152418962290

I would say go for one as I've now had the Mx5 (well ex did) the smart roadster and the Z3 and it really is the best compromise and the most reliable out of the 3 I would say and it's the only one I can't part with plus the cheapest car and I think the best looker and everyone needs a car with side grills.

Also the base model MX5 only comes with between 90 and 115bhp and a sporty 1.8 only has between 130 to 140 bhp so performance wise the 4 pots are evenly matched with an MX5.

Recently I went on a Z3 meet and followed a beautiful late 3 litre Z3 with all the sports upgrades and to be honest around twisty lanes there was nothing in it as the 4pot is nice and light obviously on an open straight road it would leave my car for dust but I wouldn't rule out a 4 pot m44.

When I looked for mine though I just went on condition rather than engine if I'm honest but I like the M44 so much that is why I also bought the E36 Ti compact for my winter car.

If your down my way your more than welcome to take the car for a spin.

The only real downside I think with the Z3 is the tyres are just too wide with the optional wheels and on a badly rutted road it will tramline a bit but my car is on cheapo Chinese tyres so it might be the issue and the suspension etc is all original so it might need a refresh but I bought some lovely 15inch pepperpot alloys and although I've got the James Bond wheels I prefer the early smaller pepperpot wheels but I doubt I will ever get round to putting them on but at £20 for 4 decent alloys I just couldn't turn them down.

post-9282-0-11442700-1490083933_thumb.jpeg

Not my car but these are the style wheel I bought.

post-9282-0-03621800-1490096517_thumb.jpeg

Or you could always buy one of these monstrosities which I think is a MK1 mx5 with a fibreglass Z3 front and was done when the Z3 wasn't available in large numbers. post-9282-0-42027200-1490096985_thumb.jpeg

When I looked for one I did have one stipulation and it was red leather so it took awhile to find one with that interior in nice condition but looking on here it's now common as muck as us autoshiters seem to have the same spec of black with red leather lol

Id hankered over a large engined Z3 for a fair while  and kept an eye on prices, i echo what everyone on here ref prices, bottoming out and slowly creeping up. I think its the time to get an un shagged one at best price now.

We ended up getting a Z4 2.2 for Mrs 95 quid as there wasnt a huge difference in price

I think they are very colour sensitive: that black one above looks good, the light green, not so much!  They are not my cuppa tea to be honest, I don't think they look quite right, a bit disjointed in the styling department but the Z4 looks good. But, it's all about hw they drive and 2.8 litres should make it FUN!

My mother had a 2.8 litre Z3 from '98 to about 2010. It was a lovely car with  gung-ho handling of the old school. I thought it was fantastic.

I am certain the six cylinder engine cars will rise in price (they seem to be doing already) - they deserve to. I wouldn't buy a small engine one. The 4 cylinders 'narrow' body doesn't look right and the engine makes the car.

In my shed i have a 2.8 widebody in black with dark red leather, its an early one in an S plate, i bought it about 4 years ago with 90k for £1400. That was still cheap for one, but not,overly cheap. I reckoned then they were on their arse price wise then...tbh its not for sale so havent really kept an eye on values. Its Mrs ks' summer car. It has now done just shy of 100k and needed nothing up until now. It will be dragged out if the shed and need front shocks for its mot aswell as the abs light issue sorting. I aim to add pics to my thread soon.

Back in the day I used to wonder why BMW didn’t let their UK arm give these a makeover and sell them as a new ‘Big Healey’ (6-cyl version only obvs). Now I am older I realise this would have been a friggin toe-curlingly awful idea. Are these built in the states?

Ye m9 - Spartanburg [sic].