How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Xantia. - I just needed to hit it harder.

Supernaut

Yes.

Anybody up for a mini meet in Durham tomorrow? I'll be there all afternoon.

Anyway. The job interview was fine. The honda accord coupe 2.0 manual was terrible. Clutch was all but nonexistent and the seller had butchered the radio wiring to the point it was fucked. I walked away, and now rantingyoof needs to get home. He is driving me in my xantia to Northampton. Then I have the whole weekend to wander back north.

Anybody up for a mini meet in Durham tomorrow? I'll be there all afternoon.

I've a couple of tons of tarmac to shift in the morning, but would be glad to have an excuse to shuffle the lexus about.  Maybe you could persuade SoC to dig MayDay out, since the weather is nice :P

This thread TL:DR (understandable):

Supernaut set out for Manchester to collect a silver Honda Accord coupe he won on eBay.

I set out for Manchester to collect Supernaut's Xantia and bring it south to encourage its eventual sale.

As the first part failed to happen and the second part did happen (sort of) it means that Supernaut has travelled to Northampton to collect his own Xantia. Kind of?

Simple*!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Or follow your Scottish roots, and do the pilgrimage that so many of your fellow Scots have done before

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703223561616?atmobcid=soc3

Download the app to find your perfect car.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch&referrer=utm_source%3DApp%2520Share

(just realised it's a mobile link so may not work, it's a v70 2.5 in wellingborough for £500...)

I think the drive to mine with me complimenting the refinement, mid-range grunt and frankly absurdly good fuel economy all the way made him realise exactly what he'd have lost.

No need to go all stampy on the seller...I think (hope) there'll be a resolution that will see Supernaut have his deposit refunded and we'll have only lost petrol money/train ticket money and time between us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Unless anybody between Durham and Aberdeen really wants a xantia and has something interesting I can drive home, I'll keep the xantia for now. I did realise yesterday how rubbish it is from a standstill though.

This has been an interesting tour of the UK so far. Sitting in my hosts' house near Durham waiting for them to wake up. I can't even leave because their car is blocking mine in the drive. Went to Seaham yesterday afternoon though, which was nice.

I'm back home now.

That didn't go as planned.

I bid on, and won, a 1998 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 manual on ebay. It was in Manchester. When me and RantingYoof turned up to look at it on Friday evening, it turned out the description was a bit economical on the description of the faults. The guy selling it was in the middle of trying (and fucking failing royally) to fit a radio. He'd butchered the wiring loom instead of spending out £5-10 on the correct adapter.

That wasn't the main problem with it either. The biting point on the clutch was "remove foot from pedal completely" and it was slipping when trying to accelerate from 20mph in 2nd gear.

I refused to buy the Accord Coupe, and this resulted in me and Rantingyoof both being stuck in Manchester with one car, the Xantia, and Yoof needed home the next morning. I was tired. I let him drive me and my car down to Northampton. We got there after midnight, and I stayed in their spare room.

After being provided with breakfast I headed north to my non-AS friends' house near Durham. I got there at 2pm yesterday afternoon and had a nice wander around the area. We went to Seaham, see:

post-19977-0-05614400-1490548399_thumb.jpg

That was a lovely afternoon. That's Sunderland in the distance there.

Today, I had a nice drive up to Aberdeen from Durham.

This is the trip counter from the petrol station near RantingYoof's house to my house, via Durham and Seaham.

17571375_10210309777195727_571221682_o.j

This is how much fuel I still have left, after spending a majority of that distance cruising at "70mph" *ahem*

17549063_10210309778875769_175756122_o.j

This is the trip counter from leaving my front door on Friday, to returning home again. Notice it's gone right round and started again.

17571267_10210309790036048_2034942595_o.

The Xantia did all this perfectly, without a hiccup.

It has an MOT until next February, 4 good tyres, a working clutch, radio, and air con, seemingly runs on thin air, and is worth fuck-all on the open market because it's scabby and is a scary hydropneumatic Citroen. I forgot just how hilarious to drive it is on twisty mountain roads. While RantingYoof was driving it, he attributed its cornering ability to witchcraft due to it only having 185 section tyres, and commented on how comfortable and quiet it was while still somehow cornering flat.

I'm fucking keeping it. If I ever mention trying to get rid of it again. Slap me. Hard.

It's getting a well-deserved service next weekend, and I may try to tidy it up a little bit cosmetically.

Your overall mileage has not changed, it's 83990 in both images.

Yes. The photos show trip counters A and B, both after I parked outside my house earlier.

The 520 miles is from the petrol station in Northampton to my front door, while the other one (which shows 99 miles after going around the clock) is from my front door on Friday to my front door today.

I'll use this as the new thread now. The old one can sink to the bottom and be forgotten about. It was too clogged up with raffle attempts etc.

Anyway, I'm just writing a to-do list to remind myself, and for you lot to remind me about too.

- Oil, oil filter and air filter change (parts reserved in ECP's sale, £26 all-in)

- Remove hydraurincage and put LHM back in (4L of LHM in the boot already)

- Investigate earth straps and clean them up, to see if it sorts the variable speed blower motor (when I don't touch the switch)

- Investigate the squeaking blower motor. I know I can dismantle it quite significantly, but what sort of grease should I use on it? I have some for my bicycle chains which is in a nice small bottle with a long, thin neck. This would make getting it into the bearings in the motor very easy.

I'm also planning on some cosmetic mods. I'll paint the 'chrome' trim around the bumpers / doors black (and re-attach the one on the rear bumper with some tiger seal). I already have some matte black spray paint. I reckon this may make it blend in with the doom blue paintwork a bit better. I've also got some wind deflectors on order because I'm a scene twat and they were obscenely cheap on ebay for a full set of Heko ones.

I'd also like to replace the Citroen badge on the boot lid with a pair of the chevrons instead. Depends what I find in the scrap yard, really.