How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Xantia. - I just needed to hit it harder.

Supernaut

I won a car on ebay back on Saturday. It's in Manchester.

I have a job interview in Livingston on Friday afternoon, so afterwards I shall just continue south. Probably get to Manchester about 6-6:30pm.

RantingYoof is joining me in this insanity at that point, as he's getting a train up to Manchester which will arrive at 6:30pm. We will then collect my ebay purchase, and he will take the Xantia south, to Northampton. He reckons it may sell easier from there. The question is.... does anybody between Aberdeen and Northampton want a Xantia HDi with an MOT until Feb 2018? Here's your chance! Ideally I'd personally prefer if it ended up south of Manchester, as it makes things easier for me.

While RantingYoof is heading south in my Xantia, I'll be heading north-east towards my friends' house just outside Durham, in my latest purchase. I'll update this thread on Friday evening / Saturday morning with the big reveal.

The stupid part is that the ebay purchase only had 3 photos, and its MOT runs out at the end of April. The history on it is very clean, though. Past 5 or 6 MOTs didn't have a single advisory between them.

Are you teasing me? I thought long and hard about xantia vs goona, didnt sleep at night and tbh went for the goona a bit as it was closer, then the xant is now fucking 23 miles from my house?

Least I have a backup plan for the next week or so if the gooner shits itself properly...

Were abouts around Durham are you heading?There are a few of us shiters around here.

I don't actually know, as my mate has moved since I last visited (in that he's actually got the house he bought back in May, now).

Were abouts around Durham are you heading?There are a few of us shiters around here.

I don't actually know, as my mate has moved since I last visited (in that he's actually got the house he bought back in May, now).

Saturday morning side-by-side with an LS400?

The Xantia seems like a fine old car and it's staggering me it's not been snapped up. However, a quick glance on Autotrader and the reason may simply be location.

For a £500 bangernomic purchase, the average person (Autoshite populace, of course, being WAY above average) is unlikely to want to travel more than an hour and a bit to view and/or collect.

Within 60 miles of my postcode, there are 5201 vehicles presently for sale that are under £1000. There are 919 under £500.

Within 60 miles of Supernaut's postcode, there are, erm, 10 cars for sale under £1000. There are none under £500. Within 200 miles there are still fewer cars for sale under £1000 than there are for sale under £500 within 60 miles of me.

So, logically, the answer to this conundrum is to BRING FORTH THE XANTIA SOUTHWARDS!

The collection of the aforementioned vehicle from Manchester represents a good opportunity to do this. Therefore, the rough plan as outlined by Supernaut is for me to splash out on a train ticket to Manchester from that there Milk and Beans, taking all of 1hr 40ms. Then there is a brief walk and a forty minute bus ride which takes me to within a three minute walk of the purchased vehicle. I haven't told Supernaut this yet, but I reckon this will be easier than him trying to collect me from Manchester Piccadilly.

Assuming that the trip from Livingston to Manchester is undertaken without any mishaps (and, on a Friday afternoon around rush hour, this expectation is, I feel, completely reasonable*), a collekshun will occur, and then an interesting two-vehicular convoy will begin eastward from Manchester to the M1 via the A628, during which time it will be gauged the likelihood of the new steed FTPing on its homeward journey.

At the M1, all stuffage will be transferred from Xantia to the new steed, and Supernaut will commence northwards to FRENDZ and I will begin a 100 mile southward jaunt down the M1 from Junction 35a down to Northampton.

The Xantia will then remain within 5-10 minutes of THREE JUNCTIONS OF THE M1 and shall shortly be purchased by someone keen for hot and steamy French-LHM-action (in my head).

The only caveat placed upon this venture by MrsYoof is that I must 'wake up at home' rather than anywhere else, as we have planz on Saturday morning.

It's a rather lot of driving and stuff for me, but Supernaut is essentially going to be clocking up 480 miles in one day (I WORKED IT OUT FOR YOU I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND) and is the real hero of this soon to be story LIVE UPDATED in this very thread.

Hmmm. The car being collekshunned is south-westish of Manchester city centre, so the smaller road would be easier to get to, but if traffic is really that bad there's not much time difference going up the M6 and then down the M1 for me (and up the M1 for Supernaut).

The most complicated part of the whole arrangement is trying to time it so Supernaut (driving from Edinburgh) arrives somewhere near the new steed on a Friday at around 6.30ish at the same time I get to around the same area after using Manchester's bus service and travelling to a stop I have no landmarks to help me recognise.

Like trying to thread a needle wearing boxing gloves in a dark room.

So, standard Autoshite then.

Good luck with all this. I'd offer to be on hand for assistance, living between Manchester and the A628, alas I'll be at work in the city centre.

At the M1, all stuffage will be transferred from Xantia to the new steed, and Supernaut will commence northwards to FRENDZ and I will begin a 100 mile southward jaunt down the M1 from Junction 35a down to Northampton.

35A on the M1 is southbound only for entry: you'll want to part ways at the roundabout with a McDonald's and a Shell station just before, with Supernaut taking the A61 up to J36.

This is due to happen tomorrow.

A little bit of poo is already coming out.

I have a to-do list when I get home (early due to overtime yesterday). It includes; de-map the Xantia, put all the spare parts in the Xantia, and tax/insure the new steed.

The spare parts for the Xantia are parts I got given with it. Stuff like a green driver's side mirror, a window regulator, random shit like that.

Yep, I'm doing all this with the Xantia mapped back down to 90hp. UUUURGH!

Insurance sorted on the new steed. With Axa, who I've never been with before. Under £300 including protected no claims discount. Nae bad.

The insanity starts tomorrow, then gets into full swing in the afternoon / evening. I'm going to be doing (almost) 500 miles tomorrow. Cue that stereotypical Scottish song...

Even after those 500 miles, I'll just be outside Durham for the night. I'll do the remainder on Saturday!

My plan:

Train/lift to Milton Keynes Railway Station (30 minutes)

Train to Manchester Piccadilly (1hr 40 minutes)

Walk to Manchester Victoria (20 minutes)

Train to Eccles Manchester (7 minutes)

Walk to Morrisons in Eccles to await arrival of Supernaut (M30 0FH)

Drive remaining 10 miles with Supernaut to vehicular location (M21 7WW)

My journey should take between 2hrs 40m and 2hrs 50m all going well, so if I get a Supernaut text at 2pm, indicating an all-going-well arrival at 6.30pm, I need to get on the 2.50pm train to Manchester to ensure I'm waiting at Morrisons when he arrives.

Literally no weak points in this plan whatsoever.