How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Xantia. - I just needed to hit it harder.

Supernaut

• 4 weeks later...

AUDIO SUCCESS!

The right rear speaker was sounding a bit flatulent. I took it out to discover it was properly gubbed.

Luckily, Brothernaut handed me a pair of JBL 5" speakers that fitted perfectly. He said he wasn't using them and had them sitting about a while (judging by the amount of dust on them, I'd agree with that). When I removed the left rear speaker, the magnet fell off the back of it, so that definitely needed done too.

Then I moved onto the front, because I had some speakers from the front of a Peugeot 306 estate sitting about, which were in much better condition than the ones in the Xantia, and were the exact same model of speaker, with the same plug on the back too. Easy swap, and the front left was discovered to be one mounting screw short. I have plenty of spares though, so that was sorted and got rid of the buzzing from that corner.

I then managed to bodge my aerial connector on the back of the stereo by squeezing it back into shape with pliers. I now have radio too! I celebrated by listening to some Classic FM on my now silky smooth, non-flatulent sound system. Lovely.

I could do with a replacement heater blower motor to put the icing on the cake, really.

The one in there, even though I greased the bearings as best I could (they don't look serviceable, really) is squeaking a little bit again. Just now and then.

Today, I learned something:

Hurr. Who'd have thunk it?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how to put this.

This car is sort of for sale, I guess. I'll listen to offers for it. I've no idea how much it's worth though, as every time I've tried to sell it, it's been met by a huge cold front.

Basically, it's a mechanically solid and low-mileage Xantia, but cosmetically it's utter shit. Anybody want it?

It's really nice to drive, but it doesn't set the road on fire. I feel like I want something utterly stupid again.

Well, if I still have this in September I'll be doing a mega-cheap roffle.

I plan to buy my brother's Civic Aerodeck off him once he's finished with it, and he says he'll probably sell it in September. It's absolutely mint, and I have no need for two cars.

• 1 month later...

After over a year of trouble-free motoring, I fired it up earlier this evening to be greeted by this:

post-19977-0-04532500-1502227728_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...

I then decided to open the bonnet.

post-19977-0-82259000-1502227761_thumb.jpg

Oh, shit!

post-19977-0-67517000-1502227782_thumb.jpg

On closer inspection, there seems to be a pinhole in the thermostat housing. I think it's been leaking very very slowly for the past couple of weeks. When the engine is up to temperature, a fine spray comes out of the left edge of that indented circle. I've currently got a big bottle of water in the boot, and it seems happy enough once topped up. Obviously not a long-term solution though. Liquid metal time?

Is the thermostat housing part of the head?

I don't think so. It looks removable. I know where you're going with this. Do it properly and replace the housing.

I'm thinking short-term to get it going again, liquid metal, if it would help, while in the meantime trying to source a thermostat housing.

The fine spray of coolant has made a lovely mess though. It's hit the top hose and then completely covered the engine bay side of the radiator in brown sticky goo as well. Beautiful.

Aaaaah!

So, how does one replace a core plug? Never done one before.

I dunno, these seem expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PEUGEOT-CITROEN-1-4-1-6V-1-6-16V-3-0-V6-2-0-HDi-25mm-CORE-PLUG-023308-/361962652124?hash=item5446a7c1dc:g:jC8AAOSwWiBY~yzo

Why not just get some JB Weld instead?

On the other hand...

https://www.howacarworks.com/cooling-systems/replacing-core-plugs

Core plug due on Friday or Saturday morning.

I need to be in Glasgow on Saturday evening. Train ticket? Naaaah.

I've been told on the French Car Forum to put a meaty self-tapping screw into the old core plug then use a claw hammer to pull it out. Then clean up the mating surface and tap the new one in with a block of wood and a hammer. Easy!

As mentioned before, I can fall back on brothernaut's Civic, but where's the fun (and waft-factor) in that?

Lacquer Peel has just left my house, with his intercooler and air filter.

He gave me a hand with the job on the Xantia. We got so close, yet so far....

Firstly, we drained the coolant:

post-19977-0-58604100-1502394434_thumb.jpg

Fucking grim!

Then we removed the old core plug by drilling a pilot hole, driving in a self-tapper and pulling with a claw hammer. Woo!

Well, a couple of pilot holes. The first was a bit too loose, so I used a smaller drill bit for the second one.

post-19977-0-91112100-1502394663_thumb.jpg

We then found out that the core plug I bought is 25mm, the core plug I need is 30mm. Shit. It seems a fairly common part so surely a local motor factors will have one in stock. Once I source one, bash it in and fill with coolant!

Now, LP did suggest I run it with just water for a few days to flush the cooling system. Would I be ok to do this from Aberdeen to Glasgow and back at the weekend? Then I could drain it on Sunday and fill it with proper coolant.

What the fuck has happened to motor factors?

Nobody in Aberdeen keeps core plugs in stock! Nobody! I'd have thought it's a fairly universal part, but nope. They have to order them in, apparently. Autosave said they do keep them in stock, but according to the spiel I got on the phone, they order them in a big box of various sizes and try to use up the whole box before ordering more, and the only ones left in the bottom of the box are 32mm and they didn't want to get in a whole box. WTF?!

Some stupid people run their motors on water all the time; there are two reasons for anti-freeze/coolant, the most obvious being the clue in the name and the other is to inhibit corrosion caused by there being dissimilar metals in close proximity with water. It's the middle of a fairly mediocre scottish summer* but I think the risk of freezing is low even in sub-tropical Aberdeenshire and the amount of corrosion that will happen in a few days can safely be ignored. A dob of soap powder or a dishwasher tab in the water might help shift stubborn lumps of shite in the cooling galleries.

The internet happened.

Even Halfords used to keep core plugs and manifold studs and stuff like that. Then people realised they could buy it online for pennies and Halfords decided that the space would be better served by selling pink fluffy steering wheel covers and camping stoves.

It all sucks massive, dry, cracked, suppurating elephant scrotum....sure, its nice to be able to buy shit online for cheap, but thats fuck all use when you need something straight away, and while online savings for a stereo or something are probably worthwhile and you can wait for delivery, saving 6.3 pence on a core plug but having to wait 4 days suddenly seems like a farce.