YARF (Yet Another Rusty Felicia) - £60

kfsgo

Don't suppose anyone will want this, but you never know! tl;dr: 7 months of car available for £60.

It is a Felicia 1.3 GLi, which means you get an airbag (!) and power steering (!!) and...electric mirrors? (!!!) but not much else. I've owned it since last April, and have driven it every weekday since except for about 10 days over Christmas. About 102600mi, ~3000 of which mine.

Bad:

- Service history from about 2006 (I think?) to 2014, when it stops, bar the MOTs. Don't know if anything was done after this date, but I'm skeptical;

- Rust galore; small patches on bodywork, bits on the wheels, one slightly bad rear arch, one impressively bad rear arch;

- Throttle body needs a clean (I think, internet diagnosis) - if you remove it from gear at an rpm slightly above idle in the first mile or so of driving there's occasionally a bit of a delay between it realising it needs to throttle up a bit to idle and actually doing it. Usually inconsequential, but about 4-5 times it's taken long enough that the engine has gone off. As I've figured out how to prevent it I never bothered fixing the cause.

- No radio (caught fire last August, has been sulking in the footwell ever since);

- Sunroof leaks very slightly - not enough that I felt the need to seal it up, as I actually use the sunroof due to:

- Interior fan varies between normal, silent operation and screeching like a banshee;

- Wipers crap;

- Bottom half of the rear screen demister doesn't work;

- Boot doesn't open from the outside / with the button (though the lever by the driver's door still works fine);

- Driver's door and everything else are on separate keys (have two of each - a run-in with the world's most desperate car thief?), but central locking still centrally locks everything;

- Steering tired (bit of a knocking noise at full lock);

- Brakes tired;

- Tires are el cheapo budget things;

Good:

- MOT to the 1st of November;

- While the sunroof leaks, the windshield does not;

- Top half of the rear screen demister works! (It's the bit I look out of, at least...)

- Everything but that and the radio works, as of me last touching various buttons. Has been happy sitting in traffic for an hour on a hot afternoon or on the motorway (though it's not really a very quiet place to be over 60mph or so);

- Starts when you want it to, stops where you want it to, goes where you point it etc;

- Two spare tires, for some reason;

- Excellent faded naff dealer sticker

?:

- The chap I bought it from claimed there was an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket; there's as much oil around as there was then, and it all appears to be on the inside, so I'm not so sure about that. He gave me a new rocker cover gasket in an old coffee jar, which I put in the glovebox, where it remains.

- He also claimed he'd spent a year trying to kill it; obviously he didn't manage to. This is obviously highly underrated as a sales technique as it immediately made me want it a lot more than I did.

- I haven't technically spent a year trying to kill it, but I have spent a grand total of £0 on things other than fuel.

- Two weeks is probably about the limit for the battery to sit without running down; 10 days was ok, but made for a noticeably slower start.

I'm unsure if it'd pass another MOT but considering the one wheel arch (see photos) I'm highly skeptical.

Yours for £60; I'm off to Canada for at least several years next Tuesday so if not wanted by anyone this week it will be exiting stage flatbed next Monday. I live in Leeds - LS6.

SKDjS8P.jpg

Jbfte4H.jpg

(No, it didn't break down, I just work where they park!)

783Ey7l.jpg

KzfEKMg.jpg

XF1ELPz.jpg

HFv8geF.jpg

RU8zHr5.jpg

4WbbUcU.jpg

I have arranged to pick this up this fine automobile on Saturday. I hope my cousin wants it.

To put things in perspective, I spent £120 on 4 shirts today. This is a car for half the price.

It's also exactly as many pounds as I'll be spending to get to and overnight at Gatwick Airport next Tuesday. Funny how that goes; I'm now stuck figuring out buying a car in Vancouver, which all signs point to being a massive pain in the neck - not least in that you still have to get insurance in person!  :shock:

Might do a 'Shite of the Alaska Highway' journal if everything works out...

kOLLEKTONED this this afternoon. 

I pedaled over there on this:

post-3133-0-87520300-1490462770_thumb.jpg

As you can see my bike maintenance is up there with my cars.

Despite appearances, i'm not actually suicidal in this photo, it only looks like I'm about to blow my brains out, however. I've not actually done any work on the GT6 recently so am actually quite happy at the moment. 

Rode along the (towpath at the side of the) canal. Was pretty busy but quite nice. I seem to have caught the sun a bit. Have a facebook-esque update of my physical prowess. Get me.

post-3133-0-11529000-1490462837_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I put those 595 calories straight back on when I got home as I ate a pork pie & scotch egg, washed down with a bottle of Dr Pepper and then 2 pints. I'm also having a on my 2nd can of Strongbow as I write this.

I finally got to the destination and found the car parked round the corner next to a portaloo.

post-3133-0-46451400-1490463053_thumb.jpg

It was cleverly dong what I used to do when I was a teenager. When we used to go out clubbing I would deliberately go with my ugly mates so that I used to look better than I really do. If I'd only thought of hanging out with a portaloo all those years ago. I'd might have even smelt good next to that.

There was also a c reg Volvo 200 across the road which I thought I had taken a photo of but somehow haven't. KFSGO will have to do his duty there for you all before he moves away. 

KFSGO came out, and gave me a tour of the car. TBH though, even if it was absolutely fooked, I'd have probably taken it as there was naff all chance of me being arsed to ride my bike back home again as I live at the top of a VERY big hill. However, I took it for a spin and despite some dubious gear selections (on my part, not the car), it seemed fine, very little money exchanged hands and after we spent 10 minutes trying to shut the bonnet that suddenly wouldn't latch shut, I set off home.

I have to say, I actually rate it. Its a very nice drive. I had assumed that it was based on the Polo but I have done my research (via a quick glance at Wikipedia) and see it's not, which is probably why I like it as Polos are an awful drive in my experience. 

Stopped off at the shop on the way home (see pork pie etc above) and spotted this Astra F with giffer steering lock in what is probably one of the the least crime ridden parts of the country.

post-3133-0-46547400-1490464723_thumb.jpg

Car got home and immediately knocked £3k of the average house price. Result. Not planning on moving for a bit anyhow. 

post-3133-0-02325000-1490464987_thumb.jpg 

Bike was in the back of it but it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to open the boot. I was looking for one of these:

post-3133-0-00391800-1490465226_thumb.jpg

but this one was cunningly disguised. Its that slightly raised bit next to the seat FFS.

post-3133-0-32662800-1490465259_thumb.jpg

Have reported back to my cousin and she is hopefully having it. My thinking was, even if this is absolutely awful, Volksy now runs a WBAC type company so I could just give it to him, maybe even making a profit. However, when he ran it though the system the offer came to £47. Plus I put 10 litres of fuel in the car on the way home so that wouldn't work in my favour. 

However, as it is the car is NOT awful and is actually quite nice, despite outward appearances (well, rusty arches). 

Might bung some filler and rattle-can it a similar colour if my cousin does have it just to keep her landlord happy instead of having a black Hammerite tide on it.

All in all a good day out. I even seem to have caught the sun a bit on my bike ride as it was such a nice day. Hopefully I've not got skin cancer, that would shit on it a bit. 

Thanks for KFSGO for the car, and good luck on your new venture abroad. I would buy another car off him but as he will be in the middle of Canada, distance might be an issue.

* There seems to be 2 photos of the boot release when I look at this on my computer but I can't seem to delete it. I think it must be fucking with me, I couldn't find it once this aft and now I have 2 of the feckers that I don't need.....

post-3133-0-31168200-1490465142_thumb.jpg

Are Polos considered a crap drive? My ex-Reb, ex-320t one drove okay.

I've only driven a couple, one mk3 and one mk4 and I've not been impressed. Its not that I don't like the way they drive, its that I felt like they drove like much older cars than they were. I like the way my Visa drives as it drives like an old car. I wouldn't however, expect a comparatively modern car to drive like that. I can't put my finger on the reason but they just felt like much older cars to me but with none of the charm.

Neither of the cars were new when I drove them though, and they might have been various things wrong with them but especially with the Mk4 which was on an 05 plate, I thought it was like driving a car 20yrs older than it actually was. In fairness, that particular mk4 was an absolute lemon, constantly broken but even comparing the Mk3 to the K11 Micra and Renault Clio, it just felt crappy to me. It was still nicer than a Mk1 Punto though IMO. I hated the one I hired for a week once, 

... you could let The_Moog bid on it (after his bad luck today).

He can if he wants as my cousin is having trouble getting insured on it for various reasons. She is having to look at other options for transport as if she is having trouble getting insured on this, she is probably going to have trouble getting insured on anything.

If anyone wants this for the original outlay of £60 let me know. Its got an extra 10 litres of exploding dinosaur juice in it and it has been topped up with oil.

I'm going to dump it in the car park of a rental flat we have in Bingley in between Shipley and Keighley so can be collected from there. Its right next to the train station but can collect anyone from Bradford station if needed.

It really is a nice little car to drive, I've been using it instead of the Jag for a few days and its a shame she can't have it. The V5 will be in my name and will probably arrive shortly as it was changed online.

Will actually swap for an Playstation 1 with either Wipeout 1,2 or 3 and Tekken 2 if you KAN KOLLECT 2NITE (or any other night).

At that price it'd be worth having just for spares but it's too far away. Though coincidentally I'm on holiday up there in June. Place called Hewenden Mill in Cullingworth, practically walking distance to Bingley. If you still have it then we could have a mini Felicia meet.

And no it's not Polo based, it's Favorit based.

At that price it'd be worth having just for spares but it's too far away. Though coincidentally I'm on holiday up there in June. Place called Hewenden Mill in Cullingworth, practically walking distance to Bingley. If you still have it then we could have a mini Felicia meet.

And no it's not Polo based, it's Favorit based.

It will be long gone by then (hopefully). I might end up selling it elsewhere but the offer is here first.