Toyo proxes any good.

Vince70

I know we're not piston heads so tyre threads aren't the done thing unless we are talking a Chinese remould crossply but I need some new boots on the E36 and I can't afford going back to putting a couple of Pirelli tyres back on the motor but I've seen down the local se tyres that toyo proxes can be had fitted at £50 each which seems a real good deal.

And even tyre leader etc are coming in over £10 more when You Include fitting etc and the last place that fitted my tyres via the net made a right pigs ear of the job as I couldn't even remove the wheel using a scaffold pole and the alloys got damaged,

But wondered if anyone has experience with toyo proxes, I don't like going down the Chinese flipflop linglang rubber route if I can help it but these can be had for only a couple of pence more.

Which Toyo Proxes are you talking about? In my experience T1-R's are alright (although wear quite quickly) having used them in the past and I've got a pair of Proxes 4's on the back of one of my 205's and haven't disappeared through a hedge backwards yet despite driving it in a fairly exuberant manner at times.

Neither are the best rubber out there, but they're unquestionably far better than your average Chinese budget rubbish if that's what you're used to.

It's very much dependant on tyre size, but what else is there for similar money? Last time I went for Dunlop Bluresponse Sport's on my 306 and they're brilliant frankly despite the eco insinuations and a notable step up from likes of Toyo's especially in the wet - yet were just a couple of quid more per tyre when I bought them.

I've used toyo t1r on my mx5s for years but recently changed to uniroyal rainsport3s, in the dry they are pretty well matched, the uniroyal are significantly better in the wet. When the back end does let go, it is a breeze to catch it and have some fun. At around the same price, I wouldn't go back to the toyos.

Neither lasted very long but that is mostly due to the way the mazda gets driven :)

I think the tyres are CF2post-9282-0-59570000-1490009223_thumb.jpg

I'm not that worried about them wearing out as I only do about 2/3000 a year and the tyres that are coming off still have plenty of thread but all of them but have a big crack around the complete circumference of the tyres but I'm only doing the two fronts for now.

The last tyres have been on the car since Jan 04 so I guess it's time for a change.

I've used toyo t1r on my mx5s for years but recently changed to uniroyal rainsport3s, in the dry they are pretty well matched, the uniroyal are significantly better in the wet.

Good call on the Rainsports - had them a few years back on my Eunos and can echo your comments about them working well.

Just checked and in my size (195/50R15) they're within a few pence of Toyo T1R's too from Camskill (£36 each)

I have T1R's on this.

IMG-20161202-WA0039_zpsxo945yss.jpg

20150402_123615_zpszkjtbdac.jpg

215/45/16 and 245/45/16 that cost about £300.

It is running around 270BHP at the minute and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Over at least 3K miles, many of these 'enthusiastic'. Throw in a few launches etc and I am amazed that they are still at 90%, all over. The fronts almost look brand new and the best bit is that they seem to come with deeper tread than many others.

I agree about wet grip not being the best, but then I don't really use that car in the wet.

For a fun, summer car I would (and do) recommend T1R's, every time.

Maybe you will be better off with the Rainsport's, though!

I can't fault T1Rs.  I've had them on the back of the 840 for three years now.  They have no issue channelling 280 irresponsibly administered  horse powers.  I have to mirror what Anthony said about the latest dunlop blue responses though,  they really are excellent.  

The same tyres are on the camskill site cheaper but by the time I've added the price of delivery and I've paid for fitting etc it will be more expensive so I might as well use the local tyre fitters as its just over £100 for the two fitted plus there's a decent cafe next door and the tyres can be fitted tomorrow and I need the car for a 100 mile trip on Wednesday for an all day hospital appointment.

Also when the damaged tyre is pumped up it lasts about 20 minutes so I can get there without changing over wheels etc which for a lazy sod like myself is a real bonus and the weather is horrible so I don't fancy changing wheels over in the P)£&;ing rain.

But I've got a set of spare Z3 wheels in the garage with some odd tyres on which I'm sure if I hunted about I would find one the same size with and old tyre on that fittedpost-9282-0-08594000-1490021012_thumb.jpg

I've already taken off the nice original metal Bmw dust caps as I don't want them changed over to those horrible plastic things.

T1R's probably the grippiest tyre i ever put on the Merc (which is running 225/45 x 17), downside was noise and harsh ride, currently on Rainsports and they are the dogs danglers in all conditions, can't comment on snow grip cos global warming innit.

Rainsports and Rain Experts don't last long but they do stick like the proverbial and they're bloody cheap so easily forgiven.

Vredestein Sportracs grip well too as do Nokian Line's, if you happen to spot any of those at a bargain price.

The 2 weeks I've had brand new Avons on the xantia have been excellent!

I found rainsports wore very quickly on my tracked a d balanced zx, were fucking good though. Always looked soft on the sidewall though even when a few psi over it

The gooner has alright tyres on it atm, so I'll wear those down a bit first before looking.

I've run hankooks before on my puma and they were bloody amazing too, expensive in the zx's size hence why I chose rainsports.

I've got a couple of 245 /16 landsail tyres on the back plus some tyres on the the front called sava on the Z3 and to be honest in the dry they are very grippy and just won't wear out.

I didn't put them on the car though and wouldn't go for them through choice but I've had the car for a good couple of years now and they still look like new after all that time.

But it does tramline a bit compared to the E36 but the might be down to the width of the tyre rather than the tyres themselves and I've driven it in some terrible weather during the floods so they can't be all that bad.

I guess tyre technology has moved on so a modern Chinese tyre would be as good a tyre that was designed 20 years ago and we didn't go around crashing our cars back then too much.

But I must be getting old as back in the day it was any old second hand from the scrap yard or a part worn would do but I guess tyres seemed more expensive 30 odd years ago.

And a partworn was a tenner even back in the mid eighties for a MK2 Cavalier which I'm guessing would be about a 155/165 13 on a 1.6L