Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why do petrol engines scare me so much?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Improving(c) The Climate(tm) for all!

• Full Members
  • 35,037 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

I also failed to do an "Are You Autistic?" self test.
I just couldn't get over the use of green colour script on pink background and Apercu typeface.

• Lacquer Peel and BenHar like this

1970 Rover P6 V8........................................................white in colour
1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1985 Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia X......................................The Beast Estate
1991 Jaguar 4.0 Sovereign.........................with fresh MoT and fucked wings
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate...................................almost mint

#32 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 6,937 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

I found the Saab 2.3 to be a very gruff unpleasant engine to listen to . Thought it was poorly when I bought it but after 30k I stopped worrying about it .
Modern diesels sound horrible under high load low rev situations but I love a big old 6 cyl diesel rumbling away . In fact any straight 6 is music to my ears . Not fussed about v8's

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#33 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,810 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I am also a tad wierd about noises.... And smells.... As do random smells when driving. A nearby skip fire recently had me on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up sniffing frantically!

When I hired a car for a weekend jaunt along the Wild Atlantic way in Ireland I thought I'd cooked the clutch until I realised it was the smell of peat fires.

• Lacquer Peel likes this

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez 

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#34 OFFLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Warm day, Mason the LS400 with cheeky stainless steel tips, both windows and sun-roof open, driving through a village with a high stone wall on one side and cottages fronting the highway the other...blipped the throttle to get up to speed and the V8 grumble converted me forever.

Also, having now heard a TVR 290 with the Cosworth 24v lump with a stainless steep twin-pipe no-crossover set-up, I'm quite interested to find out what a Volvo five-pot would sound like with a similar arrangement.

• 17-Coffees likes this

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4 that now thinks its a Goona.

Now becoming the new 'Autoshite Bike'...320Touring is the latest lucky dawg to sample V8 smoothness.

#35 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 634 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Without my hearing aid I hear nothing.

With my hearing aid, I often hear nothing due to an ear infection blocking my ear canal. My other ear is even more useless.

It can be an advantage at times, except when someone thinks I'm ignorant.

#36 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 1,675 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

I would recommend exposure to diesels from the 60s through to 80s on a daily basis ideally from childhood to get you used to the wide variety of noises a car can make without expiring terminally.
After that petrol engines will all seem ever so refined and quiet.

#37 OFFLINE   MikeKnight

MikeKnight

• Full Members
  • 435 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationTeesside

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

I keep thinking the injectors in my Supra are too loud, but then I remember they're firing pound coins into the engine.

• Lacquer Peel, Bobthebeard and Rave like this

#38 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 5,035 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

Its not the mechanical din I over-react to, its the other cacophony you tend to get in old motors.  The clips that hold door cards on in my Morrises tend to lose their springiness and rattle in their holes.   The Cowley has a slightly under-size bonnet hinge pin which sets up a resonance right through the whole bonnet and hence the car.    

Drives me bloody mad, I haven't got time to worry about whether the engine is making an odd noise.   I was convinced the Minor had a death rattle not long ago, though, when the battery steady had got loose and dropped forward over the rocker cover..... 

There is a lot to be said, however, for plenty of underbonnet insulation.

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users