Adventures with a roffle range rover

meshking

It's definitely time for a thread to cover my new ride. As most of you will know, I won the lottery a couple of weeks back. It genuinely was a great surprise - I have never won any raffles before.

It was pushed into weekend use straight away, my kids love it and it's very useful. Already done a number of Wickes trips and a few tip runs.

Here it is on the way home, drooling oil whilst staring at its natural environment of a petrol station.

a77893f7aacb27443abb0ff9544ac2f5.jpg

This morning I wanted to try and take out the worst of the scratches. With advice from a paintshop owning friend some farecla g10 was purchased, along with some new pads for my buffing machine.

Before

4a55334b9bbe8defda8d471aec2271fd.jpg

After

c43ce41f22caaf611b2c446a8491fc6f.jpg

Seems to have got the lighter ones out.

The bonnet, on the other hand, is a bit too deeply scratched

263f9935db840fec13762426d9471daa.jpg

Not sure what to do with that.

Fed the seats with Gliptone conditioner, but they need a good deep clean.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

You could have left me in a solitary island with nothing but a Range Rover, a buffer and a pot of GC10

and still, for the rest of my days, it wouldn't have occurred to me that I could polish it.

If it were a disco or 90/110 I wouldn't have polished it. Need to fit in with the rest of the range rovers around here ( ie never off roaded, always shiny)

Am I alone in being unable to tell the difference between before and after pics?

I'm certainly fucked if I can see what's wrong with the pic of the bonnet.

Thank the absolute fucking fuck that I didn't win it eh?

Very hard to see the scratches, but they are there. I'm not worried by them, just enjoying trying to improve the car.

All I can see is your crazy paving, car washing utensils, leaded bay window with firewood stacked underneath, curtains, DPM, washing utensils, tidy brickwork, security light and something rather modern and silver on the drive which is reflected in the house glass. You, sir, need a muddy puddle to cover up all that dodgy shiny paint and perfect doorskin.

All I can see is your crazy paving, car washing utensils, leaded bay window with firewood stacked underneath, curtains, DPM, washing utensils, tidy brickwork, security light and something rather modern and silver on the drive which is reflected in the house glass. You, sir, need a muddy puddle to cover up all that dodgy shiny paint and perfect doorskin.

You missed the yellow bucket of rubbish ready to go to the tip, but nice round up :)

Silver modern thing is the family smax. Apologies, next time I will shuffle the chod collection around for maximum shite reflection.

Also, must try harder in taking photos of minor scratches.

Only one bucket, and certainly no gravel guards.

Apologies, next time I will shuffle the chod collection around for maximum shite reflection.

Yup, a 2cv reflected in a Range Rover would be rather splendid, as would an Elan. Manage to include them both and I'm sure everyone will understand why you need such mirror-surfaced carriages of such gilded opulence.

Aaaaargh another ebay ad designed to upset anyone with sense. Since when has something less than 20 years old been a 'barn find'?

Before a couple of weeks ago I'd never have thought of running a Range Rover, luckily this thread has reassured me all you need is a pot of polish and it'll run forever without fault. I do genuinely hope this turns into the dullest thread ever, consisting of just weekly valeting updates rather than any of the major issues we're all secretly betting on happening behind meshking's back.

• 1 month later...

When I picked up the range rover, the SRS light was blinking. On a recent trip to my friendly MOT station with one of my moderns, I mentioned this light in the hope that the friendly tester might suggest a blind eye could be turned for said light. Unfortunately not.

Much googling shows many resolutions for the lights for later vehicles "it's always the driver or passenger side connector". Being an earlier P38, there are no under-seat connectors and also the lights are permanent until the fault is resolved - that is, they don't reset themselves if the fault disappears.

I had "The Airbag Man" around to pull the codes. Open circuit to airbag was the result - so either passenger or drivers airbag. Quickest to check was the passenger side - which found us a loose connection. 10 minutes of chop chop solder solder and we have a light staying out.

a869d86fd1ade668bfc33426912dad48.jpg

Hopefully the light will stay out now, but time will tell.