3 headed monster for sale

wuvvum

OK, the title is a bit of a misnomer as the engine doesn't actually have three separate cylinder heads.  It is, however, a direct descendant* of the legendary VM triple in the Alfa 33.

It's a 2004 Hyundai Getz CRTD GSI, which I bought in December and which has been doing daily duties through the winter until the arrival of the Moog Mondeo.  It's never let me down in that time and has done several longer journeys, including driving it home from Gloucestershire upon purchase and a trip down to Somerset and back last month to visit my folks. 

It does have some issues, hence the cheapness.

-Clutch is getting tired, and can be made to slip if the throttle is floored, especially in higher gears.  It's fine during normal driving, and normally copes OK with being caned up through the gears as well, it's just peak torque it doesn't like.  It's not got noticeably worse in the 3,000 or so miles I've done in the car.  A new clutch is £57 on eBay, or £40 if you're tight and just buy the friction plate.  It doesn't look like too bad of a job to do by modern standards either.  In fact I was kidding myself that I'd get round to having a bash at it myself, but realistically that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

-Engine has a bit of an oil leak, as VMs tend to do after a few miles.  Not bad enough to cause concern but it does mark its territory.

-There's a bit of lumping from the nearside front on bumpier roads - either a drop link or a ball joint probably.

-Body is mostly fairly tidy but there is a bit of grot round the bottom of the rear arches, although I don't think it's serious yet.

-Heated rear window doesn't work, and central locking works when it feels like it.

-Nearside front tyre is getting low (although still legal) - a good part worn is in the boot ready to go on.

Other than that it's all good.  It starts first time whatever the weather (although it does need the glow plugs, unlike some common rail engines), is pretty economical, turns on a sixpence, and other than the aforementioned everything works.  It's not the most refined engine at idle, being a relatively big and low-revving triple, but it smooths out at higher revs and buzzes along quite happily at motorway speeds.

I think the GSi is the mid-range model - it gets electric front windows, PAS and a couple of airbags, but no aircon or sunroof and no electric mirrors.

Here's a couple of pictures:

post-190-0-73202900-1489882525_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-32861500-1489882547_thumb.jpg

Mileage is 155K or so, although the car is wired up for A-framing behind a camper so some of those miles were presumably not done under its own steam, as it were.  MOT is to the end of June, and taxed to get you home.

In NE Norfolk.  Shiter's price £180.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Still sat here.  As is everything else, come to that.

I am greatly interested in the little Innocenti - but haven't been brave enough to say that out loud yet.  Nor did I want to get anyone's hopes up as I'm on a strict "one in/one out" diet atm.  Hopefully I'll have this big shiny Vulva out of the way before too long.

GLWS in the meantime!

Hi
I am interested, i need a small and fuel efficient motor as cheap as chips.
How bad is the oil leak ? Am I talking about topping up a litre a week or just a few drops on the driveway ?
Any chance of some interior photos and a close up of the rot on the rear arches.
Cheers
Andy