GM dizzler Mk3 Astra - £4 a ticket

RobT

The car seems very well built too, lots of chunky screws and more of them than strictly necessary, most of the plastics apart from the sun visor fixings aren't brittle yet either although the grey plastics on the doors is discolouring.

Vauxhalls of this vintage seem to be fairly robust, even if the interior colours are a symphony of grey. My Cavalier doesn't have any broken trim and no rattles either. The Astra has rattles if I remember correctly, but the diesel din drowns them out!

Just about to jump in this and head east, my time with it is nearly over.  A quick removal of copious bird crap from the freshly washed paintwork and tightening of the slack alternator belt and she's ready to go home.

This news enraged the gods, who sent a spectacular thunderstorm to North Devon at 3am to show their displeasure, however this didn't work and it's still going.  I will leave a bowl of used engine oil on the driveway and burn an old air filter as a peace offering later to settle things until the mouldy Rover gets here to readdress the balance.

Made it home fine, and zero traffic jams too as I took a scenic route via Windsor and across to Guildford so cutting out the often rammed M4/M3 bit of the M25.

Big thanks to Phil for improving the dizzler with a new headlining and battery, plus warning me that the alternator adjuster wotsit will need keeping an eye on as the belt went all baggy on him. A++ shiter, WUD LOAN CAR 2 AGAIN.

I'll get a new belt as the old one looks past its best, and change the oil as I've got a few long trips planned next month (first of which is Shitefest!).

Just got home off the train myself, not a bad day out despite some issues navigating Reading's train station layout on arrival, there was considerable confusion by phone trying to find one another until we realised we were on different sides of the station (north and south seem to be completely seperate entities).

Big thanks to Rob for the loan of the Astra, would take car again A+++.  

This takes me back down to two cars again, my happy fleet size.  It won't last.

• 2 weeks later...

OE trimz FTWibble!

Before

post-5013-0-82456200-1497033900_thumb.jpeg

After

post-5013-0-98574100-1497033927_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-65792400-1497033949_thumb.jpeg

They cost £too much but were a full set and I had to have them. A tricky fit, but careful use of screwdriver and rubber mallet means they aren't shifting.

The old Astra G trims looked fine, but these look mega.

I also added a period correct GB sticker in readiness for a trip to Holland next weekend.

post-5013-0-69110200-1497034296_thumb.jpeg

So if anyone wants these for a tenner plus postage they're going spare.

post-5013-0-48492500-1497034503_thumb.jpeg

We'll have to get the Astras together. What with lisbon_road having my old one we can have a southern shiters GM meet!

Looking good Rob. Good luck for your trip!

Thanks Paul. After my oil change a few weeks ago I've noticed it's dripping a lot, so a new sump gasket is needed. But doesn't stop it from driving obviously, I'll just take plenty of spare. Otherwise it's good to go!

I now have seller's remorse Rob! I'm glad you're giving it some use though. It was only ever a back-up car for me but I did enjoy driving it. I love the engine, not too many horses but very willing and quite grunty in an old school way. Loads of space in the back too so almost as good as a van. Plenty of miles in the old girl yet if you can keep the rot at bay.

Yep, these were OE on the early GLS models. Once I'm done with it you could always have it back, or even just borrow it for a short while. Mrs T wants to go to Croatia for our hols this year, and I've got this stupid idea of driving there. Should get it closer to the 200k mark but is probably asking too much of it, and me!

It is useful having an estate, but with the all important tonneau cover for added privacy and security, as I'm always leaving tat in there.

It is useful having an estate, but with the all important tonneau cover for added privacy and security, as I'm always leaving tat in there.

That parcel shelf cost me £25, or 10% what i paid for the car. It was off a bloke who had removed it from an astra he scrapped. He said it was the most valuable item from the car which wasn't very reassuring!

It works well but is a pain to remove as you have to slide all the poles out of the gap at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Thrilling brief update. After the Dutch trip this week and Field of Dreams today the old GM dizzler has clocked up 970 miles since last Sunday at 60mpg, and feels like it'll go on for many more. Just shy of 180,000 miles now, so a bit of use this week should see that achieved.

One job I wanted to sort was the leaky sump, so I changed the gasket yesterday. Not that interesting but here's a picture of the engine sans sump.

post-5013-0-01103700-1498431287_thumb.jpeg

My new ratchet broke when undoing the final bolt, but happily my old one was stuck on the 'do up' setting so with a bit of faff making sure the gasket was seated properly it was a fairly straightforward job. Plus I managed not to round off any heads or shear off any bolts as I was careful not to over tighten. Second oil change within a month and I think it's oil tight now, so I call that a success!

It's lovely to read the updates on this.

Does anyone on here have anything negative to say about mk3 Astras at all?

My horn has been increasingly growing to try one as a daily. I'm still feeling my way around my new* R19, so it won't happen this week, but I sense it's only a matter of time...

Do it Joe. Then if you don't like it, sell it to me! I find them great for long journeys, as the seats and driving position suit me so I can do lots of miles with minimal aches. My ears ring a bit but a price worth paying for such economy. I reckon my ideal Mk3 Astra would be an early orange indicator hatchback, in GLS/CD spec with a 2.0 8v pez engine. I think the limited edish Cesaro could be had with that engine, but not sure about other specs.