GM dizzler Mk3 Astra - £4 a ticket

RobT

Looks like its failed,but only a little fail.

• Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Anti-roll bar attachment bracket/mounting damaged and its strength is seriously reduced (2.4.G.1)
  • Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit 175/65/14 bald on edge (4.1.E.1)
    all underside corroded

I can live with that!  Bit miffed about the 'all underside corroded' advisory.  It isn't, albeit the boot floor is frilly (and non-existent in places...).

Looks like a re-test next week then.  We'll get there eventually with this old thing!

MoT testers do seem to like issuing spurious 'whole car rusted through' type advisories, in my case for tiny patches of surface rust. One would have thought if 'all underside corroded' actually applied it wouldn't just be an advisory item.

On another note, nobody's asked the big question yet, so I will:

Will it run on veg M8?

I'm the same. Really want to spend a day preserving my heaps with waxoil et al, but year after year, I don't  :?

We need a sheep dip- kinda setup, with approx £1,000000 of dinitrol in it, then simply drive through slowly, guaranteeing no rust forever!

Perhaps we could start with a disused swimming pool, a mile of plastic sheeting & a joblot of disposable overalls  :-D

Good news nothing like the satisfaction of an MOT pass.

Those joints on the end of the anti roll bar can be changed without even taking the front wheel off or lifting the car.   I have known them drive around with them actually broken so I don't think they do a great deal and cost next to nothing. 

I like the sheep dip idea.  I think it is worth pressure washing and painting with waxoyl or whatever, but I also don't do it as often as I would like.

As of today this is on loan to phil_lihp, who left Devon mega early this morning to come up to the smoke. It's lovely weather for a day trip too, so have a good one Phil!

In the last two weeks I've done 600 miles in the GM dizzler, so hopefully it'll prove a reliable stop gap whilst he plans for his next shite purchase.

Rob is a proper gent, picked me up from the station in a slightly shonky Safrane, made me a cup of tea and then gave me a car to go home in. He even led me to a petrol station.

post-5492-0-32543200-1491059670_thumb.jpg

I repaid this kindness by being nearly two hours late (thank you National Express) but it all worked out in the end.

Fleet services have been achieved.

post-5492-0-84683600-1491059706_thumb.jpg

The Astra is smooth, quiet and an excellent motorway cruiser, performance is relaxed but adequate and it's sipping diesel.

It's been a long day, getting a bit tired now so refueling with food and caffeine before the final 150 miles to home.

Just landed home.

post-5492-0-10737800-1491073740_thumb.jpg

Big, big thanks to RobT again, proper legend and the car is ace.  Tatty, yes, feels tired, yes but it's 25 years old and has done nearly 178,000 miles so it's allowed to look and feel much, much more worn than it does.  It managed the trip home easily, the lack of performance was only really noticeable in a couple of places on the A303 and the bigger hills on the North Devon Link Road - other than that, it cruised at motorway speeds easily.

I stopped for a quick comfort break near Yeovil and had to take a quick photo, seemed somehow appropriate.

post-5492-0-53325400-1491073750_thumb.jpg

The car thinks it's 1992.  I haven't the heart to correct it.

post-5492-0-57410000-1491073755_thumb.jpg

Plans are to run it, keep it tidy and probably treat it to an oil change, plus I may replace the headlining as I have lots of spare high-temp glue from doing the van and quite enjoy doing that sort of work.  I've bunged in a spare stereo but it won't turn on so I suspect I need an adaptor.  Certainly need one for the aerial anyway so I'll have a quick look on eBay later.

Excellent news, in that case, I won't!  It's clearly been well looked after.

I don't suppose you have the original stereo knocking about?  I got mine powered on (a spare Pioneer one, one of the power wires had come loose) but there's no sound.  There's 3 plugs on the Astra's loom and the stereo only uses two of them so I'm assuming the third one has the speaker connections.