This is scheduled to return to its rightful owner next weekend so time to round up my time with it.
It's been a useful little runaround and, battery issues aside, totally reliable although it hasn't done many miles with me. The original battery died completely after being sat for two weeks while I was away, it would take a jump start but, as I discovered in a Wickes car park, wouldn't charge. Fortunately I was inundated with jump start offers and a nice old bloke with a Hyundai i10 came to the rescue.
It now sports a decent secondhand Yuasa battery, which has the bonus of holding a charge for days at a time and also spins the engine over faster than the old one ever did. Still takes 6-7 goes on the glow plugs to start but it still an improvement.
No joy on the central locking, I'm guessing it's probably the module, all it will do is 'lock' the boot, which is therefore permanently locked unless opened with the key, none of the side doors respond at all. Therefore, I turned my attention to the headlining, which resembled something Miss Havisham would wear.
The foam backing was brown, flakey and powdery, explaining the material's desperate attempts to abandon ship. Several years of inadequate glue and pin 'repairs' had not improved it, it was stained, torn and generally gross. I had a can of high-temp glue left over from my van's interior remodelling so had a crack at replacing the lining.
Bit of a war getting the old one out, which resulted in a lot of brown powder shedding over the interior and my hair, then all it needed was scraping the remainder of the foam off the fibreglass backboard and gluing on some new material sourced from eBay.
Topped it off with a thorough hoovering out of the interior and some new sunvisor clips, job done.
I still need to sort the sunroof rubber edging as it's not quite on right but otherwise it's finished.
Not my finest work to be honest, the material isn't quite what I was expecting, it needed to be a lighter grey and stretchy rather than rigid, resulting in a couple of rough edges and a few wrinkles and I'm not overly keen on the pattern in real life but I reckon it's still an improvement. I've bundled up the original lining material to stay with the car so it could be used to match some new stuff, I probably should have done that to begin with.
Next weekend it's going home to Rob, it's been a pleasure and it was ace of him to loan it to me, cheers fella!