Less modern laguna.. For SALE! Terrible price, £200, you have until monday at 9am to stake a claim!

beko1987

Your Tigger mug gets into more photos than Billy's pooch. I found myself trying to spot the mug more than looking at the car!

It's a shame that car has lost the satnav and stuff, I know it was probably sixteen years out of date and still showed the locations of all Renault dealers long since closed, but I like seeing OEM hifi stuff.

No I don't think it's anything to do with the handbrake, looks like a cradle for a phone or something, just with the holder missing

I mean underneath that electronic crap is the emergency release.

Time for another SiC tip or trick...

post-5612-0-62288900-1489868625.jpg

When a Renault is saying OIL OK you can tap the stalk end (or trip counter reset if you have no stalk button) and it'll tell you how many bars of oil is left.

Guest Breadvan72

BTW I have totes libelled the giffer in that E30 - it's a 320i, not a 318i.

There is a white E30 320i convertible in a village down the road from me.  It is driven by a hot blonde who likes to hoon.  V good cars (325i even better) but now getting a tad spenner.

Why have you got the key card in the slot? It's keyless entry and start!

So why's it got a slot?

No I don't think it's anything to do with the handbrake, looks like a cradle for a phone or something, just with the holder missing

It's a 'telephone preparation'. Got one in the work car. Complete waste of time and space, sort of an in-between technology, created in the five minutes between phones becoming capable of doing stuff that might be useful in a car, and Bluetooth being invented.

Lagunas is gr9. Those flash door pockets fell off mine every time I opened them, the tyre pressure thing never worked properly, and it smelt of sick. I'd have another though, handsome looking things.

This looks smart!! I have to say though I couldn't avoid messing with stuff that's broken, most on here would and indeed are telling you just to forget about stuff that doesn't work, my OCD would get the better of me and I'd need to fix it because I can't abide cars having things fitted to use that I can't because they don't work.

I also think if the car behaves itself over a fair period of time/mileage it earns the right to have some wedge spent on it, not immediately but if you get a year/20K miles out it without spending much and then it needs a not insignificant sum of money spending on a repair I think it's earned it.

Re the auto wipers, like SiC says, that's an older Renault thing, I'm sure my 2009 mk3 Clio didn't need to have the stalk moved from auto/intermittent position back to off and then back to auto position again to rengage auto wipe every ignition on/off cycle but my 2004 mk2 Clio did, kinda defies the point of auto wipers when you need to switch them on every time you start the car.

That thing under the dash looks like some sort of mobile phone cradle or carphone.

Shame the OEM stereo/nav has been removed as the Renault Cabasse ones are quite decent and an aftermarket one looks very out of place in the Lag dashboard but then it's one less thing to go mega wrong.

I've had a few cars with cruise but never had an auto with cruise, sounds a mega laugh watching it catch itself out on hills, or being able to resume 80mph cruise from 30. Can't do that in a manual without ragging fuck out of 3rd gear and redlining a 2 litre diesel which hits the limiter at 4.5k RPM.

Looking forward to seeing it minty fresh in a detailing world-esq update.

I'm not a beard person really, I grow it out of laziness, then get rid of it! Really need a haircut but amys friend is busy so that's not been done!

I mustard mitt I was looking at scrapped lagunas with the view to buying the whole cabasse system cheap and reinstating it, but as the wires are cut about, im not sure I want to go there. It will be nice to have it, but every thread I've read says the satnav is kind of shite. Having never had a system like it before I don't miss it, so I'll probably leave it.

Im going to do free/cheap tinkering with it, I enjoy tinkering. The only reason I stopped tinkering with the xantia was the rust, it seemed like a lost cause, I can't weld so it seemed a bit pointless. I want to give the gooner a service, partly so I can crawl over the engine bay and see what goes where. Was thinking I would swap the wheels about to see if they are buckled, or if it sorts the shake. Wont do that this weekend though (possibly)

So why's it got a slot?

For when the keyless system breaks! Incidentally I found that having the card next to my phone when I got in stopped it working.

The phase 1 Laguna had a locking mechanism for the card, where as that was ditched in the phase 2. One oddity is that when stopping the engine in keyless mode, the display on the dash flashes up "Please Remove Card" briefly, flashing the key card slot red and beeping. Then it decides the card isn't in the slot and so disappears from the screen. Makes me suspect the whole keyless start/stop thing was grafted onto the Laguna system by Renault.

I mustard mitt I was looking at scrapped lagunas with the view to buying the whole cabasse system cheap and reinstating it, but as the wires are cut about, im not sure I want to go there. It will be nice to have it, but every thread I've read says the satnav is kind of shite. Having never had a system like it before I don't miss it, so I'll probably leave it.

Get yourself down the yard and cut the plug ends and wires of a scrapper.  Then splice onto your loom and plug it all in.  I re-fitted a std Ford Radio once to replace some naff aftermarket shite that packed up.  When I took the radio out of the dash the loom was a series of about 15 sets of adaptor plugs 'cut and shut' and welded together with insulation tape.  

Guest Breadvan72

Re: Beards (and, no, I'm not talking about Brooke Shields) - I once decided to grow a goatee.  I was hoping to look like Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark/Iron Man.  Instead, I looked like David Brent.  This is never a good look. No more facial hair for me.

stark.jpg

article-0-192D5ECB000005DC-597_306x423.j

Get yourself down the yard and cut the plug ends and wires of a scrapper. Then splice onto your loom and plug it all in. I re-fitted a std Ford Radio once to replace some naff aftermarket shite that packed up. When I took the radio out of the dash the loom was a series of about 15 sets of adaptor plugs 'cut and shut' and welded together with insulation tape.

The sat nav system in mine is fully* working. It's ok and I mostly use it as a moving map display. However the 2005 DVD in mine is very out of date now. The last update DVD that Renault did was 2009 when they then moved to TomTom and completely discontinued the system. There are 2008 Laguna III owners with this system rather annoyed that they could no longer get updates for their new (at the time) car!

* Except the voice recognition button and the GPS reception cuts in and out at times.

It also has bluetooth handsfree which is probably what I use the most. However the microphone is very, very quiet. Traffic reports that it shows on the screen are sometimes useful too. The voice recognition button on the stalk has been broken since I've had it. Apparently a common fault. Going by how shit my Civic voice recognition system is, there is zero point fixing it. This is way, way before modern voice recognition of the likes like Alexia, Siri and Google Now.

If mine was missing, would I retrofit? No. You'd be much better hotmelt gluing a phone mount onto the screen to be honest!

There are 5 main bits to the system. The first is the CD Changer in the dash, secondly is the satnav system in the cubby hole, thirdly the display which links into the previous box, fourthly the controls by the hazard indicators and finally the amp in the glove box. If not all systems are present, then it will not work at all. The Renault workshop manual mentions that if you replace the system with another, you need to contact Renault HQ for an unlock code to link back into the system. Not sure how true that is, but mine never came with any codes (despite a full book pack) and it's never asked for a code. It might be that if you change the system as a whole it'll be fine?

Also depends how much of a mess the wiring is too. Sounds really bad. There are a crap load of wires that need to be reconnected. Much more than normal cat audio systems - due to the several boxes that are linked together by its own network. Get it wrong and you'll fizzle out stuff very easily.

Guest Hooli

There are 3 bits to the system. The first is the CD Changer in the dash, secondly is the satnav system in the cubby hole, thirdly the display which links into the previous box, fourthly......

We nobody expected that...

Guest Hooli

Just corrected as I re-read it before you posted! :D

Anyone watching a thread will see that I'll correct a post a good 3-4 times before I get all the errors out. Thank goodness for edit function on here. :)

For some reason I instantly thought of the Spanish inquisition.

post-5612-0-43654400-1489921793_thumb.jpg

There we go, happy now! I put the £20 in the lady gave me as per the grin thread!

The jvc head unit decided to not want to work today though! It is alive as if I press eject on the cd it comes up, moves the mech then goes to sleep. Not sure if it's the unit or the car. If Amy goes out today I'll hook her head unit up just to confirm, if not I'll give the wires a stern looking at. I'm going to leave the carminat stuff out, and maybe buy a nice normal head unit that I can take from car to car, one with Bluetooth and a nice microphone, and SD card slot.

The auto lock got me too today. Got out at this lady's house, walked round to open the boot and it locked. Walked back to the drivers door, unlock. Repeated this about 3 times before I gave up and put the card in the slot. Didn't think to press the unlock button on the card...

I also took a different keycard with me this morning, and it put the passenger wing mirror to the floor. The adjuster knob doesn't work the passenger side, so I put the window down and moved the glass. Leaving the tip it did it again. Wondering wether I can clean the adjuster switch up, as the motor works in the wing mirror.

Hoping amy goes out later so I can get the vax out, I lifted the rear seats and found a lifetimes stash of loom bands!

I wouldn't be too fussed about the factory sat nav set up because most are hopeless but OEM Bluetooth, 6 disc changer and an OEM looking head unit to flow with the dash would look good, can standard lower spec Laguna head units not be reinstalled easy enough without all this bullshit about 5 sets of wires all interconnecting and needing all the parts to work etc?

I wonder if a TomTom set up from a Lag 3 or Megane would retrofit easy enough, i.e. No more difficult that reinstalling the original factory setup in it. Those systems are pretty good and it looks like the joystick in this is the same one in the later TomTom cars. Bit of an afterthought in the Clio and Scenic though, where the Megane and Laguna get the joystick built into the console they've got a remote like an old Hifi remote in a strange holder which steals one of the cup holder spaces.

I like the Laguna sunroofs, I remember doing work experience in a Renault dealership in November 2002 and the Lag was one of the first cars I've ever seen where the leccy sunroof had preset positions to open it to by turning the dial, most other cars still had manual ones where you turned the crank until you had it open far enough or if you had a leccy one you held in the button until it was open far enough.

Bad luck if it's got TPMS though, I remember this being an absolute pain in the hoop on these, the display going mental and flashing away because it thought one of the wheels was missing or you were driving around with no wheels.

One of the few cars that looks better in estate (fuck off wirh wanky names like Sports Tourer Renault) than it does hatch, but alas I think the facelift to fit with corporate identity has made it less good looking than the original ones.

The DVD drive in the dash says Bluetooth. Are all the initiale systems the same though? Ie can I just find an initiale being broken and buy bits?

I think im missing

Whatever sits in the glovebox

The head unit part.

DVD drive, joystick and screen are there.

Ill have a look and see what's been cut about, but cutting the plugs and a bit if loom may be a shout, if only 2 or 3 wires are cut the rest I can match together and that just leaves 2 or 3 to guess at...

Anyone know of any initiale gooners in their local scrap yards? We don't have proper scrappies around here, out big one is a 'vehicle recycling centre' but I may pap them an email tomorrow and see if they have anything

My local U-Pull-It type up in Yate has a 2.0dci initalie. I think you're missing the radio and the amp in the glove box. However I'd get the Satnav box too, as said earlier it could all be linked together. Don't think most places will let that stuff go cheap though.

Plus you've got to splice it all back in.

Really don't bother. There is a high chance that you'll end up with nothing working. Cheaper, quicker and easier to wait till this goes bang and get one with it all in and working already. Not as if Laguna II are expensive motors to buy!

I'm eering towards just a nice normal head unit, the screen can just be a cubby hole, or if I can find for cheap whatever bit of trim went there in a non initiale that might look better. Would like to swap the joystick for a cup holder though one day

Non-initalie had a plastic insert to make it a proper cubby hole. I'm guessing Renault couldn't think anywhere else to bung it when they did the initalie model. The amp in the glove box makes it ridiculously small too. Which is why I guess someone removed it previously.