Less modern laguna.. For SALE! Terrible price, £200, you have until monday at 9am to stake a claim!

beko1987

Guest Hooli

Thinking about it, the manual for the Saab says go for a 20 mile drive at main road speeds to get the box warm. I know that was enough to get mine to the point it played up, so hit 95c (I think you said).

So Beko's commute should be enough to check it as soon as he arrives at work/home.

IIRC the process is, keep the engine running &

put it in D for 15 secs

Put it in R for 15 secs

Put it in P & check the level

80C is the temp to read the fluid level. You need to be pretty precise. I've found the fluid going up a good couple mm on the dipstick with a couple of C increase in temperature.

If the box works for beko, I'd advise strongly for him to not to dick around with it!

Guest Hooli

I'd check it. As long as it's about right after a decent drive then forget about it, but it's nice to know there is some in there.

Mind you, mine got a lot better as soon as I topped it up. So I'd expect it to play up if it was low, but then I did put about 4ltr in.

• 5 weeks later...

MOT booked for 12.15pm on Monday!

Things to do:

Replace front sidelight and check all the other bulbs

Check it's got water and screenwash in

Turn up...

No idea what else it will fail on, hopefully the rear bushes will be fine enough, the suspension should be OK now, I'll rag the shite out of it on the way into work and then up the hill to the station, then who knows, it'll be in the hands of the french chod gods, I'd better sacrifice an Edam this weekend...

Thanks! I'm not too concerned either, just usual pre mot jitters, but if it fails on something I don't know about it!

Do have to pop into town tomorrow and grab some sidelights bulbs, my bulb kit is missing its, and whilst they look like Hoover vacuum cleaner dirtfinder bulbs, they probably aren't, or the hoover ones won't take being fitted to a car for very long! (i left it out, might compare later...)

15p later

post-5612-0-55194600-1498908659_thumb.jpg

Huzzah

post-5612-0-24759800-1498908681_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-65786700-1498908698_thumb.jpg

Just need someone to check the brake lights later and we are good to go!

I also bought some wiper blade rubbers as the rear blade on the Zafira was fucked

post-5612-0-03593600-1498908763_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-83246900-1498908781_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-37292000-1498908805_thumb.jpg

Had enough left over (1 full length) to do the drivers blade of the gooner, and it's not smeary anymore! Passenger side needs doing but I don't look out of that side of the window so that can wait

15p later

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_120343.jpg

Huzzah

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_120506.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_120540.jpg

Just need someone to check the brake lights later and we are good to go!

I also bought some wiper blade rubbers as the rear blade on the Zafira was fucked

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_115626.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_115747.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170701_120216.jpg

Had enough left over (1 full length) to do the drivers blade of the gooner, and it's not smeary anymore! Passenger side needs doing but I don't look out of that side of the window so that can wait

Youve actually reminded me of something I was going to message you and ask you, I spent a fucking rip off £34 quid on genuine wiper blades out of TPS for my car, but still im getting a smeared bit/bit that looks like the wiper is missing it on the drivers side, on closer inspection it would seem with age and worn blades they have over time finely scratched the glass in an arc shape in this one section which is presumably why that bit doesnt clear properly, they are like fine scratches in a curved angle, clear enough to see but not deep enough that a finger nail catches in them, suppose the best way to describe them is like fine light scratches on the clear coat/lacquer of the paintwork, you being more of a detailer than me, is it safe to try and remove scratches from glass or will it just make it worse? whats the best way of removing them?

Good luck with your MOT, i think usually the fact youve checked the car over, presented it well and clearly try to look after it, testers can tell these things which stands you in good stead so unless something is terminally fucked or is undoubtedly a fail and no amount of discretion could make it a pass and advise, you should be fine!

Did you wind it back after you put the cable on ? If you pull the arm forward before you pump the brakes out you need to reset the caliper .

Surprised you didnt feel the handbrake only working on one side tho.

No, I can't say I did. Please talk me through in detail what I need to do!

Never really used the handbrake, it goes into park and I walk away..

Check that they're engaging the same when the handbrake is pulled on. If all is adjusted correctly, you can pull a second time and hold the handbrake handle longer and it'll try engaging it to as hard as it can pull it. You should hear it engaging it a bit more when doing this.

Might be enough to get it through.

Speaking to the guys as I paid, it's the drivers side caliper, not the passenger one I had issues with... When I cleaned it up and pushed it back I did so as I would a normal caliper... Will look into twosmoke's advice above. It's a pagid caliper on that corner, and looks pretty clean so hopefully won't be too tricky to play with. Not sure wether to class the handbrake issue as related or not, the guy who tested it went on lunch as soon as he finished typing it up without talking to me.

I did just try pulling away at my mums (having to hold the lever on so it didn't automatically come off) and there wasn't as much resistance as I would like. I read somewhere that if I pull the emergency lever, then apply the handbrake a few times it winds the cables back in and re-sets them, but I'm not sure I have the balls big enough to do that...

Only problem is testing the bastard without paying for a re-test/another MOT (forgot to ask what the time period was but the test was only £35). Anyone know someone friendly with a brake roller near bucks/oxon?

Oh lordy: "Front Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing both (2.7.2a)"

*shakes head*

I'm tempted to find it, clean it off and see if it falls off the advisory list on the re-test!

The oil leak can stay, cant be bothered to clean all that off, there is alot of it everywhere, most possibly quite old as it doesn't drink any (all the o's on the dashboard are present on startup)