Less modern laguna.. For SALE! Terrible price, £200, you have until monday at 9am to stake a claim!

beko1987

Not a bad result really

Could be worse. Now I'm not quite as worried, and it seems I just didn't reset the handbrake after caliper work, I'm quite glad they didn't mention the rear bushes, and that my front suspension work passes muster!

Ill have the caliper back off again and definatly not spray lithium grease around the seal, then hold the handbrake lever for 5 seconds and hope I don't hear a twang from underneath!

And replied to!

I tried holding the lever out earlier and got no second 'pull'. Plan A is to jack each rear corner up and see if a wheel spins. Plan B is, Erm...

Ill deffo wind the caliper back in, and try and follow twosmokes advice. Tempted to pull the yellow lever and see if the system self resets but that brings thoughts of doom to my head.

I did try pulling away with the handbrake on (by holding the lever out) and it didn't take much for it to pull away... (then go fecking beeping mental at me) so something isn't right somewhere

Setting up handbrake calipers 101

Slacken handbrake cable until there is free play at the caliper end

Ensure caliper arms are against their stops

Remove calipers and wind in using the wind back tool . Align the slots in the pistons to any pegs on the back of the pads

Refit pads / calipers without moving th handbrake arms.

Road test giving the footbrake plenty of pressure esp when stopped . Don't touch the handbrake

When road test is complete ( I'd do 3-4 miles )

Then try the handbrake -if there is too much free play then adjust the cable until it's taken the slack out but no more . The arms on the calipers should be against the stops with the handbrake off .

There's certainly movement on the cables, especially the passenger side as that's where I devoted my attention last time! I'll try moving the caliper piston in and out, and see about tapping the handbrake levers up and out to clean those up, have been reading that they seize up. Will see if I can grab someone to do stuff in the cabin whilst I eyeball up the caliper end! I possibly should look at rebuilding the calipers but TBH I don't think they need it, neither are particularly smeggy, indeed the drivers one is positively spotless. A good bleed may not go amiss either, infact a good bleed all round may be beneficial as I've not done that since winding them all in and tidying it up a month or so ago.

Twosmoke - All your tips are very good, but unless I can disable the auto handbrake I can't do any of it! Turn the car off, the handbrake applies (have to manually take it off again. Turn the car off, handbrake applies. I imagine I'll fuck it's little head up removing the fuse for it too!

Not sure if it's all in my head but this morning I let the car pull against it's idle (no gas to take the handbrake off) and I'm sure it twisted the car ever so slightly from the passenger side...

Hopefully it will be simple! If not I think I have a backup plan in place should the worse happen

Twosmoke - All your tips are very good, but unless I can disable the auto handbrake I can't do any of it! Turn the car off, the handbrake applies (have to manually take it off again. Turn the car off, handbrake applies. I imagine I'll fuck it's little head up removing the fuse for it too!

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Put the keycard in, let everything turn on. Push the start/stop button without a foot on the pedal. Everything turns off except the handbrake. You should be able to manually engage and disengage the handbrake with the control without the engine running.

Sounds good to me! So keycard in, handbrake off,  calipers off, push them in, calipers on, handbrake cable on, then fire up the car, push brakes to push out the pistons, then handbrake on.

I wonder if me just doing one side buggared up the drivers side... If I do it as a straight pair (so rear up on stands, both wheels off, not just one etc) it might work better.

The handbrake was defiantly off when I fitted the pass caliper as it needed to be to get the cable out. All the time the drivers side was on and trying to work, possibly buggaring up the balance?

Starting to realise all the goner hate. When the xantia's handbrake was shite I just nipped up the nut on each cable by the caliper a bit and job done!

Lots of good advice on how to do this. The only bits I will add are if the ignition won't turn on without it starting put the car in gear then foot on the brake and push start. Check the handbrake levers are both right back on their stops. The cables will normally be a little slack on these electric jobbies. If all looks ok remove the calipers without undoing any pipe work and wind the pistons in with the wind back tool. Reassemble and test as described. I have got some Laguna calipers kicking around here somewhere if you get stuck but I am in Somerset and would need to match it with your old one.

Yes, fantastic advice indeed, thanks all.

Ill probably start with as panhard describes, the handbrake stays off until I turn the car 'off', so as long as I do the road test first then turn it off, then do the 5 seconds extra pull it should be ok. I did none of this before...

I did try it at lunchtime though, I'm on an early today so parked at work on tarmac, not at mums on gravel and it takes a good 1500 revs to move it with the handbrake on (and the car beeping madly at me)

These age Renault's aren't that complex either for the handbrake. It's basically a traditional setup on the calipers. The electronic bit is just a box that pulls and holds on to the cables.

Where as VAG and other stuff have the electric motor built into the caliper itself. If these jam on, they're much more awkward to release than the Renault's.

Yo Beko

Thanks for that. My handbrake just started working! Quantum entanglement on the Renault particle I think.

Ah good, the French equilibrium works for newer shit rather than just old chod!

Mind how you go this weekend then when I attempt to fix it... Don't park on a hill without being in gear

The fault didn't come back on when I started the car again, and is still off now. Have been told to look at the EGR valve so might have that out tomorrow and see if I can clean it up with amys toothbrush and some tardis.

So, on the hottest day so far I'm out!

Handbrake off, rear jacked up, wheels off, calipers off. Wound in, refitted, went for a drive. After a few pushes of the pedal the overall braking is vastly improved!

Came home, parked up. Handbrake on. Then on some more with a second pull and hold of the lever.

But it takes even less gas to pull away with it on now... Jacked up each corner. Pass side is locked solid. Drivers side, may as well not be on, it doesn't work and the wheel free spins!

Where should I look next?

I think it's the caliper.

The wheel free spins with the handbrake on. The cable does move (collared the bloke laying some slabs 2 houses up who had a rolly and sat in the car for me).

The mechanism up top

post-5612-0-31624400-1499521169_thumb.jpg

Was seized. Some light hammer action and Wd40 got it to move, but it bounces on the spring I noticed. A quick Google revealed it to be a common fault, I think a £20 caliper may be prudent. The pass side is locked solid, and trying to pull away with the handbrake on you can feel it trying until it's overpowered and the car moves.

Anyway, I then looked at the egr valve, and after knocking it out, I gave it a clean

post-5612-0-87723900-1499521273_thumb.jpg

Wondering how I was going to clean out the one hole, I got to work and... Wait a minute, there's two holes!

post-5612-0-76829200-1499521313_thumb.jpg

Tardis, a rag, the pipe cleaner we use for the fishtank and a screwdriver got it cleaner (didn't have a can of brake cleaner as I thought I did)

post-5612-0-35095400-1499521354_thumb.jpg

Much better, will see what that improves next week.

I then swapped the wheels front to back to see if it cures/moves the wheel shake. And I think this is the 'steering rack gaitor damage' the mot picked up on

post-5612-0-26800500-1499521411_thumb.jpg

If I wasn't blowing out of my arse already I'd have wobbed it up with something but I didn't!

And now I'm showered and off to a children's pool party! Will do a test drive tomorrow and grab a caliper on monday