Less modern laguna.. For SALE! Terrible price, £200, you have until monday at 9am to stake a claim!

beko1987

Theft you mean ?

Most scrappies know what you are doing and charge you more for what you do pay for anyway .

Most don't charge for plastic anyway .

Never understand why people think that theft is ok from a scrap yard .Prob the same people that take a rocker cover off a good engine for a tappet nut then leave cover off and bonnet up !

Crikey, sensitive enough?

I've never actually nicked from a scrappie, I know plenty of people do but I've always tried to build good relationships with them, as I find this is the easiest and most honest way to get stuff for the best price.

I'll try and keep my flippant comments to a minimum.

In the Ford Exploder I just leave it in D and put the handbrake on at junctions, I've been told it's better for the gearbox than shifting it from N to D repeatedly.

The AW55 programming in the Laguna II box when in Drive puts it into Neutral when stopped and foot on the brake. When you release your foot, it re-engages drive.

This is all great when new, but a the box ages they can thump into Drive (see my Saab 9-5). So releasing the brake gives a 2-3 second pause, then BANG and then into drive. Volvos AW55 programming used to have this "drag reduction" mode, but they removed it in later software updates due to this problem.

That is pretty shit in this Laguna - it does do that but still shakes the dash to bits

Thats because you need 6 cylinders of petrol smoothness. At idle, its so quiet you have to check the rev counter to see that its still running.

Sticking it into first gear on manual mode will override and won't enter the drag reduction neutral mode. It also changes the shift pattern to be permanently in sport mode - this speeds up changes (making them less smooth). If you are heavy on the accelerator in full auto mode, then it'll switch to sport mode until you start driving lighter on the pedals - this also speeds up the changes, changes gear at higher revs and holds onto a gear longer before changing up.

I think it's OK tbh, when on the brake in d it vibrates a bit, then something releases and you feel it slip out and quieter down. Not noticed a clunk into d either, not one I'm worried about anyway. Compared to the xm, which is the only other auto I've had long term it's silky smooth.

The granada estate is smoother than the gooner though!

It drive home fine. Windscreen started to mist up, but I lit a rolly and cracked the window and that went. And stuck to 65 so the steering wheel didn't shake. Was lovely!

Ah i was due to open the window anyway. Yet to look at the sunroof drains, will do that soon! Then once their working I can park it on mums drive all day when the weather improves with the windows open (and the car left unlocked to avoid the alarm going nuts). That, with a few good vacuums should fix it!

You can unplug the alarm when unlocked to disable it. I didn't want mine going off at some ungodly hour and not wanting to stop. IIRC, I put in my thread on where the connector for it is (I forget!)

Somewhere I've got Renaults official documentation on wheel shimmying. Like you've noticed (and the same on mine), it seems to start at around 35-40mph getting worse upto around 60mph and then it starts easing off. Simple solution is to drive a bit quicker. :D

The alarms not gone off yet, and as the xantia is in out actual space around the corner I've been parking behind the gate so would hear it. I'll leave it for now until it goes off the first time!

Need to try and find time to swap the wheels front to back to see if the vibration changes, no idea how to find out if the wheels are buckled without paying for it. Might still get the tracking done though, disposable car or not, I'm on the motorway every day and it annoys me!

I need to find and read your thread actually, although I'm not doing a gearbox flush or owt, or even thinking about the cambelt! Best go hunting, unless you can pop a link in or bump it up?

Guest Hooli

Doesn't the hand brake work?

Ben

Renault, you need ask?

The handbrake was crap on mine, I doubt it'd hold it in drive. But as said it drops into N automatically so that should be ok then.

Beko, before you even think of anything as daft as a autobox fluid change, just check what it looks like on the dipstick. If it's not black and/or smelling of burning there might not be much point.

My dad found me a pdf of the manual, which is very handy. Looking at the tyre pressures 39psi on the front looks a bit high. Infact as mines an auto it should be 41psi... I want to check them all just because really, the pressure monitor thing doesn't display any readings by the wheels and I'm not fucking about buying sensors for it!

I do mixed mway and non mway, should I drop it to say 36 front 31 rears? Or do 39/32 and shut up? Wanna do the spare too, it feels very soft!

post-5612-0-94276200-1490091483_thumb.jpg

I run 33/30 as more comfortable. 39/32 would get you better fuel economy. On other cars (not tried the Laguna), I've found the higher pressures can make cars feel a bit wobbly and can lead to the tyres wearing in the middle more.

The end column I was going by.

Economy is fine by me, I'll try 35/31 then and see what happens!

Think I need to top the coolant up too, took 10 miles for the needle to do anything, and it didn't really go above 1 block on the dial. I'll have a look at lunchtime. Kiltox did say it sipped it a bit

Well I went to the petrol station with 50p and its £1 for air, so sod that. Then spent 40 minutes hoovering the boot, and got halfway there, the carpets just starting to come back to life, the sand is pouring out of it! I'll do more tomorrow.

Also filled up the empty expansion tank, can keep an eye on how fast it noms coolant now and see if it's worth doing anything about it!

Well if no one will let me do much mechanically, I'm going to detail it up! I never really did it with the xantia, and the interior is lush! Give it a lunchtime or two and the sand will stop coming out, then I can shampoo it.

Plus, the interior is probably worth a fair bit, so if the car does kill itself, I can probably sell the interior for a bit.

Who knows, but I'll put the vax in the car tonight, mums miele didn't like it too much!

And old? It's a fupping 55 plate, it's new!

Forgot to take any before pics, but the carpet is still filthy so it'll look the same when I next take one.

post-5612-0-14063900-1490109583_thumb.jpg

Wheel well before

post-5612-0-60954700-1490109606_thumb.jpg

I got some nice screws out of here!

post-5612-0-67238500-1490109634_thumb.jpg

After a hoover and wipe down with a damp cloth it looks much better!

post-5612-0-74066500-1490109675_thumb.jpg

Both bolts holding this on were very loose, so I removed it and vacuumed that out too

post-5612-0-25073600-1490109712_thumb.jpg

Forgot an after but it's just less bitty. Gave the trim a wipe down too, will get some metal Polish on it when I buy some.

I then vacuumed the sides of the boot that came up really well, and the backs of the seats and the various nooks and crannies. Then started on the main boot carpet but that will take a while, may jump to shampooing it as it might drag the sand out. If the weather is like this ill just leave the windows and boot open until home time to dry.

Will mix up a bottle of G101 and find my scrubbing brushes to scrub the side boot carpet too soon.