"Haunted" BMW E46 Shenanigans

richardthestag

Background

Mate thestag's son has an E46 318i Touring that he has run for the last 20 months. he crashed it into the back of another motorist who, by his own admission was driving erratically. Damage is minimal but the two outer edges of the bonnet do not line up with the wings and the kidney grill bits is loose. The car has all the toys and they all work except the starter which "sounds odd" it stopped working last week.

Laddo meboy found himself a Scab 9-3 vertible which he secured for a sum that would have embarrassed me (like I would have felt like a thief) buying it.

Mate thestag was going to offfload the hapless bimmer to cartakeback for a ton. Was delighted that I showed interest. 

I hate E46s, my wife is on her second convertible and I'm perpetually working through all the standard niggles these things develop after a dozen years of age. I'm convinced that 95% of Beemers are afflicted with neglectful third owners that buy them when they are two thirds of the way down their depreciation curve then don't service them for the next four years because German innit.

Bough a recon starter on ebay with 30 day guaranteeeeeee 

so start with where is the starter motor!

You might laugh but the web is rife with this question. Clue it is under the inlet manifold !

post-3439-0-60540100-1489706347_thumb.jpg

Redneck Youtube vids suggested 3h stripdown, took my 1 h 25m maybe NOT voting for Trump helped? go figure :D

post-3439-0-16055800-1489706348_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-05491100-1489706349_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-72408500-1489706349_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-47080900-1489706350_thumb.jpg

Getting this far I find the starter as if by surprise. Only it dont look proper fitted

post-3439-0-22757100-1489706351_thumb.jpg

Removing it found that it is different from the 2001 unit bort arghhhhh

post-3439-0-93631700-1489706351_thumb.jpg

Tested old starter and solenoid on the bench and found to be fine. drilled out the dowel hole on the top and refitted

post-3439-0-81237500-1489706352_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-40766300-1489706353_thumb.jpg

All went well but does he start? does he fuck! no click, no whir, no anything except light on the dash. next stop is the starter switch. No starter motor relay on these and no startey threads and questions are like a rash on da t'intaweb, Maybe lack of relay fucks the starter switch. 

post-3439-0-88975200-1489706353_thumb.jpg

Ran out of time so rolled it to one side and revisit next week with multimeter and new second hand starter switch

I hate E46s, my wife is on her second convertible and I'm perpetually working through all the standard niggles these things develop after a dozen years of age. I'm convinced that 95% of Beemers are afflicted with neglectful third owners that buy them when they are two thirds 16/16th of the way down their depreciation curve then don't service them for the next four years because German worthless shite innit.

FTFY

Looking good man, an estate in all! Could've done with one of those a few times recently. My BMW is going in for discs and pads, as well investigation of rumbling noise comjng from the front.

Question; How exactly do you drive "erratically" in a 4-pot 318i? Mine isn't exactly a power house working the same or similar engine.

there is a second fusebox behind the glovebox hidden away,that contains 2 fuses related to the starter circuit,have you tried just dropping a live to the solenoid just to check it turns over on the car?also check the oil level switch on the sump,if thats faulty it wont turn over,you can simply unplug it then try to start.if it turns the switch is borked 

Edited by matty879

Looking good man, an estate in all! Could've done with one of those a few times recently. My BMW is going in for discs and pads, as well investigation of rumbling noise comjng from the front.

Question; How exactly do you drive "erratically" in a 4-pot 318i? Mine isn't exactly a power house working the same or similar engine.

The motor in front of him was driving erratically, young lad decided to tailgate her to encourage her not to drive erratically. then the inevitable facepalm event occured :D 

Basically kissed the arse of the other car with the bit in the middle of the grill kidneys. 

there is a second fusebox behind the glovebox hidden away,that contains 2 fuses related to the starter circuit,have you tried just dropping a live to the solenoid just to check it turns over on the car?also check the oil level switch on the sump,if thats faulty it wont turn over,you can simply unplug it then try to start.if it turns the switch is borked 

Now that sounds promising. Loads of nice sensors all over the place when removing it.

I figure that I can get access to the starter terminals by removing the alternator. Long screwdriver wrapped in ductape and jump lead from the +ive terminal up by the brake master should see that discounted very quickly.

The car will sometimes start which might suggest an intermittent fault with switch or sensor. Oh the joy :D

I like Bimmers also, especially now that the official cunt of the road is more likely to be driving an Aldi

working on that 16 year old motor yesterday was quite pleasant, no seized fixings, everything came apart, even when I found the loom was in the way a tiny bit of lateral though found a way to disconnect that pat of the loom nd continue.

No nasty paper gaskits to contend with.

Nice

I love my E46, some minor issues arise due to modern production techniques (despite some luddites wishing otherwise we can't live in the 70s) but there is nothing that defies logic to anyone with half a brain. A modern car will almost always be harder to work on than our beloved classics but that doesn't make them a bad car. Compare the E46 to many contemporaries and it's a doddle to work on. EVERY car has a couple of jobs that are notoriously bad to do and the armchair experts will always list these when stating why X car is terrible.

Mine spent the last 8 years living by the sea. Every bolt underneath it has fought me.

I'm looking at E91s as a replacement, is that just a stupid idea?

Yes and no. Rust protection is vastly improved but mechanically they're often not as good. Avoid 318i/320i like the plague, they're garbage. Engine problems, diffs - a new DMF (normally fucked by 100k) are £650 from Euros. Six pot petrols better but still some nasties - ABS control unit £2000 new, no aftermarket stuff, recons rarely work for long and used ones rare and £400. But it's not that common an issue. Any engine trouble will cost a bastard fortune. Absolutely avoid anything post 2007/57 with direct injection. They can be really bad news and £350 for a NoX sensor isn't funny.

Radiators last a lot longer and don't have that stupid expansion tank that likes to explode.

Best bet - low mileage 2006/7 M47N 320d manual. Good engine, tough 6 speed box, diffs rarely fail. They suffer some of the faults with the the E46 such as seizing/snapping hinges for the tailgate glass (WD40 and exercise once in a while) plus some new ones - the electronic steering lock will almost certainly require resetting to zero and they like a door lock mech as well. Both easy enough.

As a car, the E9* isn't as rust prone and needy as the E46. Just buy the right one.

Mine spent the last 8 years living by the sea. Every bolt underneath it has fought me.

I'm looking at E91s as a replacement, is that just a stupid idea?

Personally, I Would not touch an E91....Especially the 2.0 diesels, they like to eat their timing chain....This happened to someone i know just before christmas there, 2007, 57 plate, 320d Estate, Travelling on the M8, Steady 75mph & it decided to lunch it's chain........Fucked the engine.

He still does not have it fixed as the quotes for another engine supplied & fitted etc are more than the car is worth.

Personally, I Would not touch an E91....Especially the 2.0 diesels, they like to eat their timing chain....This happened to someone i know just before christmas there, 2007, 57 plate, 320d Estate, Travelling on the M8, Steady 75mph & it decided to lunch it's chain........Fucked the engine.

He still does not have it fixed as the quotes for another engine supplied & fitted etc are more than the car is worth.

That's the N47 introduced mid 2007. Absolutely avoid like the fucking plague, The previous M47 started off in the E46 in 1999 and was developed from the old 1.7 318tds unit. They're good for 200'000.

The trouble with the E90 range - particularly 4 pot stuff - is that it's so bloody dull. For all its many faults, the E46 is a far 'nicer' car if you know what I mean. You can get a much nicer/newer Mondeo/Insignia/Accord etc for the same money although E90 saloons are crashing down in value. I just about managed to get £2000 for my 57 plater, 99'000, FSH etc. Folk are waking up to the fact that four pot petrol E90's can be a disaster. 

A case in point. What was a simple job (that rarely needed doing) on the single Vanos engine becomes a £100 three hour manifold-off fuckfest.

You try doing exhaust manifold gaskets. Jesus Christ. :-(:shock:

To be fair I let my apprentice do most of it and just helped with the tricky bits and we didn't take a fannymould off either . But three hours is about right

The M57 is the best bit of my car so would be nice to have that in a newer, non rusty car. 

They're similar - the M57N came out late 2003 and was fitted to the late E46 330d and the E60. Timing chain was improved on this model - they went from a chain driving both cams (don't break, ever) to driving one cam that drives the other one via a gear - can break. It's the same arrangement as the 2001 onwards M47N.

They do 150'000+ though. Oil changes critical - none of this extended oil change bollocks. 10'000 miles or every year.