Festival of the Unexceptional, 22 July 2017

quicksilver

ianbmw, on 23 Jul 2017 - 9:46 PM, said:

Evening All, brilliant feedback and thank you all for coming and your patience at the gate! I had the joy of trying to park the 820 modern vehicles and trying to figure out, A what language they were speaking and B if they were there for the School, the house, the wedding or the Unexceptional! So yes I was the handsome Hagerty employee on the gate upsetting TVR and 911 owners!

I must stress that we want the classic car park to be full of equally unexceptional vehicles, we did choose 5 from the car park as wild cards for the concourse, the super low mileage Peugeot saloon being my choice.

Any feedback or suggestions, please message me!

P.S I am an old car enthusiast, I enjoy my job but I won't answer any insurance questions on forums, I just want to talk about cars!

I would say this is a brilliant venue for the event.

Very minor grips:

Difficulty to get on the booking site

Two wrong post codes in the how to find instructions

Evening All, brilliant feedback and thank you all for coming and your patience at the gate! I had the joy of trying to park the 820 modern vehicles and trying to figure out, A what language they were speaking and B if they were there for the School, the house, the wedding or the Unexceptional! So yes I was the handsome Hagerty employee on the gate upsetting TVR and 911 owners!

I must stress that we want the classic car park to be full of equally unexceptional vehicles, we did choose 5 from the car park as wild cards for the concourse, the super low mileage Peugeot saloon being my choice.

Any feedback or suggestions, please message me!

P.S I am an old car enthusiast, I enjoy my job but I won't answer any insurance questions on forums, I just want to talk about cars!

I would say this is a brilliant venue for the event.

Very minor grips:

Difficulty to get on the booking site

Two wrong post codes in the how to find instructions

I'd just add that I got confused when trying to book my car in for the classic-only parking. I thought that was the concours, which I knew my car was not good enough for. Grateful to staff for letting me park in the classic section anyway.

Rob, is that the interior of Ray's Gold Medal Stellar?

To my eternal regret I never made it to the interior at SF16, I was too busy drooling all over the exterior.

No.  I think it must be the reddish Stellar - there's a bit of that colour visible in the shut line.  Mine is the same colour inside but has detail differences e.g. electric window switches on the doors, not on the central console.

It'll be ages before I properly sort out my photos, but I've just had a pleasant lunchtime playing "Where's Wuvvum".

post-79-0-63583700-1500898222_thumb.jpg

Here he ponders the lack of chrome arches whilst AS old boys yarn on about the good old days.

post-79-0-91122800-1500898275_thumb.jpg

Another big saloon catches his eye. AngryDicky can be seen in full power-dressing splendour.

post-79-0-09640100-1500898390_thumb.jpg

Ah, he's seen me.

post-79-0-81155900-1500898488_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, Hirst's Quintet was such a hit it actually had people praying to it. Quite a strong reaction, but justified.

Rob, is that the interior of Ray's Gold Medal Stellar?

The reddish Stellar belonged to a chap also called Alex, who I think is on here occasionally.

I'm disappointed that you couldn't tell from the dials that the interior photos are clearly from a pre-facelift Stellar, and hence couldnt possibly be Ray's special edition model from the following year. 3/10 Must try harder!

Hi folks, long time no post!  I had a really fab day at FOTU, my first time at the event.  I'm sorry I didn't meet with all the shiters present but a fab day had by all and great to see those who I did have a yarn with. It seems I managed to hide all the crappy bits on my Sunny's bodywork pretty convincingly too 8)  There were some awesome cars there and for me the mint 505, Tempra and trio of Stellars were real highlights along with Hirst's Quintet, a model of car I haven't touched since 1986.

Hi folks, long time no post!  I had a really fab day at FOTU, my first time at the event.  I'm sorry I didn't meet with all the shiters present but a fab day had by all and great to see those who I did have a yarn with. It seems I managed to hide all the crappy bits on my Sunny's bodywork pretty convincingly too 8)  There were some awesome cars there and for me the mint 505, Tempra and trio of Stellars were real highlights along with Hirst's Quintet, a model of car I haven't touched since 1986.

Frankly, I think the rust bubbles are what made the car a clear winner at an event celebrating the imperfect! Good to see you again.

This was a great show and it was good to see Autoshiters new and old. Now I know the guy I vaguely recognised talking to Darren ReallyLoud was the legendary Pogweasel!

Thanks are due to Six-cylinder for letting me drive his lovely little MG Metro to the event. It felt good to turn up in something appropriate for a change!

Even though I only saw a fraction of this I reckon it’s pretty much the perfect car show, for me anyway. Theres nowt wrong with car clubs of course, they are the backbone of the old car movement, but not having any present here means this show avoids the whole ‘bunting/roped-off areas/regalia/unspoken inter-marque rivalry’ bollocks afflicting most old car shows that make me feel a little bit embarrassed inside to attend (like I am a normal person who is attending a ‘Games Workshop’ miniature goblin-painting conference on the quiet away from family, colleagues etc). I think you could take anyone to this show and they would enjoy it, even if they weren’t an old car dweeb.

I must get to this one year! Everything looks in presentable condition from the photos, do they frown upon folk turning up in proper old toss with huge dents in the panels or odd-coloured doors and that?

Hey, Spottedlaurel's lad is in the Torygraph!

We saw that, I think he was quite pleased. I must print that piece out and send it to the original owner, I feel I owe her an update on how the little thing is going now I have some positive news.

P.S. Alongside the article was a link to "24 UK attractions you must take your kids to before they turn 16". I haven't read it, but I'm guessing FOTU probably isn't on the list.......