Free '98 VW PASSAT TDI B5. MOT AUG.

Dermist

The sad day has come when we have to part ways with our Passat.

280K miles. Never failed to proceed.

Nebio Blue (light blue to you and me)

It has been a faithful servant to us for 15 years and we bought it at 108K. It has been to switzerland x2 Germany x3 south of france last summer.

I cannot bring myself to scrap the car as it deserves better than that and will provide reliable cheap transport for someone for a few more years yet.

With the rose tinted spectacles off for a moment, there are 1 or 2 issues.

Airbag light doesnt extinguish however whenever it goes for an MOT they plug it into the computer, this resets the light and a pass is given, it comes on several days later.

There is a leak into the rear drivers side footwell via the ECU hole in the bulkhead. This is a known issue with the B5 and can be fixed with silicone etc. I was going to do this but having had to do a similar job on the passenger side because of the pollen filter hole (same issue different side) i can't be bothered.

Passenger rear door intermittently unlocks with the central locking, I expect this is to do with the various dunkings the CCM module has had over the years!.

Brakes pads will needed soon.

There is a small bubble of rust on the roof by the rain gutter and a similar sized patch by the rear window.

On a more positive note, it is still on its original exhaust and the underside and rest of the bodywork is in very good condition for a car that has lived a lot of life!

The car is free as I realise that it is worthless to everyone else other than myself plus I was given Skizzers Dedra, and we were given our replacement car, so the karma god is watching me closely to do the right thing!

The car is currently SORN (sorry wasn't thinking) and is located in Burnham on Sea, Somerset. I can collect the lucky person from Highbridge train station or Weston is required.

All I ask is that a donation is made to daveb47 for hosting this great forum!

Any questions please ask.

Here it is in Pau last summer.

post-5182-0-69684100-1489526089_thumb.jpg

I cannot bring myself to scrap the car

I could, quite happily!

On a SRS note though, that's a kind offer (free car/or forum donation) and hopefully someone will save it and get some use out of it.

These are fucking brilliant cars, I had a few of these back in the day as cars with the job I was doing at the time. So comfortable, a real motorway cruiser, went like stink as well. Did Sheffield to Southampton and back in it in a day at hundred it was barely ticking over. I'd be all over this if I was car less. My folks live in Minehead so I'd kill two birds with one stone. Pah!!!

I should be able to offer transport via MG EXPRESS DELIVERY from the Pride of longbridge to the Dermists place on sat 15th april ( don't worry you won't get put in the cargo area) if that helps. (And indeed if that timeframe is agreeable to Mr d) As it's on my route homeward.

I should be able to offer transport via MG EXPRESS DELIVERY from the Pride of longbridge to the Dermists place on sat 15th april ( don't worry you won't get put in the cargo area) if that helps. (And indeed if that timeframe is agreeable to Mr d) As it's on my route homeward.

Worth it just for a go on an Express van  :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

I CAN HAZ PASSAT

This morning in was hanging around the house when I got a call from Sir_Kiltox of Cheltenham called me to say he was outside. Out I jumped to see my new steed.

In the drivers seat and drove myself and Kiltox northwards towards house_de_Moog as Kiltox had a date with a Skoda Felicia.

On the way I noticed the battery light had come on. No power loss and everything worked, we pulled over and in the rain and had a shifty under the bonnet. Couldn't see anything and the light had extinguished by the time we got back on the M6. However, the light did indeed come back on with a vengeance.

We eventually reached Monsieur Moogs, tea was drank, shite was spoken about V5s signed, multimeter stuck on Passat battery to see if any problems were to occur and on our way we made. At the first pitstop we took photos of our new steeds;

post-3572-0-97099500-1492367291_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-19952400-1492367352_thumb.jpg

After the second pitstop I'd decided that seeing as the Passat started at the last pitstop it'd get me home no trouble. How wrong I was...

As soon as Kiltox drove away in his Skoda onto the M6 I popped myself into the Passat aaand.... nothing...

A few tries later I knew the alternator had given up and drained the battery. So popping into the shop I exchanged 11 British pounds and 10 pence for some jump leads. A couple of lads who saw me pushing the Passat so I could bump-start it offered to help. After jump starting the Passat I got in and headed straight home.

The journey was uneventful apart from once getting off the M5 the car started beeping at me if I used anything electrical such as the wipers or indicators. Then in Kidderminster I was pulled over by the Police who thought the vehicle was uninsured. I produced my trade plates and off I went with a flea in my ear about displaying them.

Thankfully at home there was a spare car parking space going where I could leave it for a bit if it didn't start.

Home:

post-3572-0-43281000-1492368632_thumb.jpg

Now it won't start.

Passat needs;

â— New/refurbished alternator

â— Interior leaking sealed up

â— Wash/valet

I'll then offer it to Ma_Sterling. If she doesn't want it I'll offer it here free again.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone want this?

Passat has basically sat at mine since I brought it back a few weeks ago, its alternator has given up and I honestly cannot afford the time/money to sort it. Work has crashed to the ground and I'm bumping along but only just keeping my head above water.

Ma_Sterling is still on the IoW as she didn't get the jobs she was interviewed for. I've not been abke to get her to at least try even.

I still have the Sterling which is also parked up, so if work does ever pick up again I'll concentrate and trying to get this sorted or another of my 800s on the road, at the moment I don't really need 2 broken-down cars taking up space, plus I'm fearing that the parking area where it is stored may be changing it's status to non-free parking as the old buildings have almost been cleared and the council like bleeding residents out of every penny they can get.

The car is basically the same as before bar non-running issue with the alternator. It'll need changing and probably a new or charged up battery.

Known issues;

â— Alternator is borked, battery light came on by home, drove up to Accrington and back down again, and just managed to get it into a free parking space.

â— There is still leaking in the offside-rear footwell.

â— Bonnet had broke before I got it and a cable-tie was added so opening the bonnet catch isn't an issue

â— Glovebox handle broke

â— Bit of rust bubbling by near-front roof aperture.

Apart from that, in running condition, it's a good solid family car, sadly, it's not for me. I've done nothing to this car apart from a half-arsed wash.

V5 is in my name, has all paperwork neatly piled up, just under half a tank of DERV. Come and get it.