1993 Vauxhall Astra 1.7D estate - mot fail

stripped fred

If you pulled that one on me, I'd write you out another fail for suspension prescribed area instead.

If the seatbelt mounting points are within 30cm of the suspension then that is perfectly reasonable!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I know Al as he's welded a couple of cars for me in the past. He's a top bloke. However, the car's in Ashby and Al's in Leicester so about 20 miles away. It would then need taking back to Ashby for the mot to be re-done and the flexi's, and the garage have told me they only have limited times to re-test. They're only a one man operation really. Time is my main factor. I'd be happy to bring it over to Leicester at the weekend to ask Al to weld her up but you still wouldn't have the mot. Also, if I was going to do drive it back and forth I'd probably be tempted to keep her. Happy to help though if I can and the offer still stands Rob. I think the car will be saved now, one way or another. I should have gone to Al straight away.

Could we not crowd fund another mot? Mr Clutch do them for £30, im sure others would too.

That way, take it to Al and get him to do the bizzo, fit the brake pipes the just Wang it in for another mot?

I was helped out with the xantia mot fun last year, so happy to pass the karma on and lob a few £ in a virtual pot

Might be simpler then to just bring it home and sort it later. I'm off work all week so am flexible on collection. I'll drop Al a pm as it still might be an idea to get the welding done first. Probably cheaper than around here too!

I'm off on a collection caper for this tomorrow. Plan A is to collect it from Ashby-ze-la-Douchebag, then drive it to Leicester where hopefully Al Bundy can do the necessary welding and flexis (I bought the hoses today). The extent of the welding required isn't known yet, but if it can be sorted within working hours I'll try and get the council run centre in Leicester to test it, either on Friday or Saturday, which would involve an overnight stay obviously. According to the website no appointment is necessary, and they're open Saturday 8 till 6, so that takes the heat off a bit.

If that all goes to cock I'm not sure what plan B is. It might involve driving the 130 miles home in the dead of night via fields to avoid the rozzers. Or a pre-booked MoT somewhere in the south-east early on Saturday, that I end up not attending just to get it home. We'll see...

I probably won't sleep much tonight due to anticipation of what's ahead, but also because I'm really looking forward to finally driving a GM n/a diesel, in none other than a Mk3 Astra GLS with orange indicators and two-spoke steering wheel.

Only on here can I admit to that and seem normal!

I don't see any problem with that plan Rob. Sounds perfectly sensible to me! I'm sure Al will sort you out if he can.

You're in a safe place here where you can talk about your 'problem' with other sufferers. These collections are what life is all about! Looking forward to chatting old cars on the trip over to Ashby.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the car. Another time when I wasn't so busy I would be getting it sorted myself. Will be interested to see what you think of the old girl.

This is now all welded up ready for another test. I can confirm that both stripped thread and Al Bundy are thoroughly decent blokes, and I've had a great day out. Collecting chod and meeting nice 'shiters, it's what life should be like ALL THE TIME!

I'm staying overnight near Leicester as I've decided to get the test done back home. Pre-booked for tomorrow and will leave here mega early. Time for one more pint before bed I think...

Oh, and the car is great too. Easy to drive, GM dizzler is quiet and more refined than XUDs of similar vintage, and apart from the rear arches it's actually a tidy car. I'm looking forward to driving it home tomorrow morning as it's comfy too. Vauxhalls of this vintage are definitely not shit.

It was a pleasure meeting you Rob. Good luck for the mot today.

In other related news the precious giffer owner, who owned the car for 13 years before me, rang me yesterday evening to ask about the car and to check that I'd not scrapped it! He and his wife still miss 'Dennis' and their replacement modern doesn't quite cut it. I advised him that I'd just sold it to an enthusiast and that he need not worry as it was in good hands. I've agreed to send him a few photos.

One of the reasons I decided to sell was to reduce to 2 cars. That didn't go too well as within a few hours of leaving I'd bought another! Off to see Krujoe at the weekend to collect the Sharan which will be put to use taking us on a trip to France in the summer.

post-19517-0-28688100-1489825622_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-63744700-1489825666_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-28703700-1489825756_thumb.jpg