1993 Vauxhall Astra 1.7D estate - mot fail

stripped fred

Took this in for an mot today and it failed on welding and some flexi hoses. Reg is K228 FNH if you want to check. It's a spare car for me but i don't really need it anymore, not enough to spend a lot on it. It's a shame in some ways as it drives really well and has been looked after. I have quite a bit of service history with it and I've done a few jobs myself including new glow plugs (made no difference), thermostat, oil and filter changes. Has done me well for moving stuff and tip runs.

Previously giffer owned, called Dennis (the car not the giffer)

4 good tyres + GM wheel trims

Towbar

Glow plugs need a few goes but starts and drives well

Good GM (not isuzu) na diesel engine 177k

Suspension and steering fine

Good clutch

2 keys

Handbook

Sunroof - seized

Front elec windows

Central locking

Headlining secured with drawing pins

Boot floor rusty and secured by pop studs

3/4 tank diesel (bad planning there!)

If anyone wants it for scrap value, as a spares car or if you're handy with a welder and fancy a project then let me know. Located in Ashby, Leics (at my parents). Don't all come running at once!

post-19517-0-25782400-1489512073_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-02143800-1489512118_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-48239300-1489512194_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-42521300-1489512258_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-23322700-1489512346_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-67085800-1489512484_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-59709200-1489512573_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-19261900-1489512641_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-12243800-1489512702_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-93867000-1489513117_thumb.jpg

Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill and inner wheel arch corroded (5.2.6)
Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded outter sill, wheel arch and inner wheel arch corroded (5.2.6)
Nearside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)
Offside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    under body, steering and suspension components rusting throughout
    ns front tyre worn on inner edge

I don't think those arches would be a fail. It's the holes on the rear arch tub that's failed on. There'd be absolutely nothing wrong with grinding back to sound metal and plating over the hole if the MOT man was happy with it. The brake hoses say £10 each and half hour or so to fit and bleed.

No, the brake hoses are easy enough and the welding might be ok if you can find a decent welder. If you wanted the welding to be a proper repair, yes it would cost but given the age and value of it, I'd just get them to plate it over. Buys you another 2-3 year before it wants doing again or becomes unviable. I'd ask about for the welding, a lot of garages now don't want to get involved with welding up old bangers. If you find someone and explain you want it plating up to an acceptable MOT standard you'd get it cheaper.

Assuming it's not a complex shape you might be able to save a bit by preparing the area, grinding back to metal and making up a patch. That's where the work is, not the actual welding, the fucking about beforehand is what doubles the cost. Get hold of some metal and make up the repair sections, cut out the grot and make it so there's something to weld on to.

Have given this some thought. As much as I'd like to save it I don't really have the time to get it sorted and I'd rather spend my money on something newer and less rusty. If it's not back at the garage within 10 days I have to pay for another mot. The best outcome is if someone wants to take it off me for a nominal sum and fix it up. If not then I think it will need to be a call to the local vehicle recycling centre. I can hang onto it for a bit as it's not in the way. At the end of the day I suppose it's quite undesirable to most people as it's a 24 year old Vauxhall. No love. If it was a golf I'd be fighting them off.

If you remove the rear seats, and belts, are the corroded areas still a fail? Might make a cheap van...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

If you pulled that one on me, I'd write you out another fail for suspension prescribed area instead.

What are the legalities of driving this now it's an MoT fail? Can it be driven to a garage for repairs, even if that garage happens to be over 100 miles away? Just trying to figure out if I can save it without too much faff!

You are legally allowed to drive a car without an MoT to a test, when failed you are legally allowed to drive it to a place of repair, it would be easy to justify that you are driving it to a specific place of repair as you trust them to do a proper repair.

I drove the MX5 from Falkirk to Forfar on this principal when I got it from GM. If you are slightly unsure book another MoT on the far side of you and don't get there and phone and cancel after you have arrived home.

Thanks for the info. I've just been on the .gov site and it also states a vehicle must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness, which I assume this does as tyres are all decent, lights work etc. Sorry if I sound like I'm being a fanny, just don't want to get nicked!

I need to see how much my friendly mechanic is likely to charge for the welding, so will drop you a pm fred. I've got a feeling he might be £150-200.

Thanks for the info. I've just been on the .gov site and it also states a vehicle must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness, which I assume this does as tyres are all decent, lights work etc. Sorry if I sound like I'm being a fanny, just don't want to get nicked!

I need to see how much my friendly mechanic is likely to charge for the welding, so will drop you a pm fred. I've got a feeling he might be £150-200.

That's fine. Have a think about it. I'm not looking for a lot for it.