Page 2 says I bought a Puma, how did that happen? Was I pissed or something?

Tamworthbay

I will be helping a friend out (read doing the car for her) after a seriousish MOT epic fail. Most stuff is fairly simple such as strut tops and brake lines but there are also two corrosion fails, one for area close to rear suspension mounting and the other a seatbelt mounting. The seatbelt mounting will presumably be the sill/ floor area. Does anyone know these things well and have any idea where the rear suspension one is likely to be? I know these things rust well but is it likely to be the chassis rails or the shock mounts?

The other issue is the rear arches, they both need replacing but I can't find repair panels in the usual suppliers. Anyone know where they are available?

I have a feeling the car is really heading to the bridge but she is quite attached to it so I will try and save it if I can.

Rear arches rot. No puma panels are available but pug 206 front wings were always the acceptable repair method, close enough apparently.

Mine was rotting in the floorpan too, bit tricky to look at without the carpet up

Do even Ford themselves not sell replacement panels for the Puma? I realise they would be uber expensive but even so.

I remember reading a topic on a Ford forum about a Puma a guy bought to sort out and it had some corrosion fails on the MOT, I got them impression from what I read and the pictures I saw that by the time the car fails it's MOT on corrosion that there will be galloping rot absolutely everywhere on it.

Do even Ford themselves not sell replacement panels for the Puma? I realise they would be uber expensive but even so.

I remember reading a topic on a Ford forum about a Puma a guy bought to sort out and it had some corrosion fails on the MOT, I got them impression from what I read and the pictures I saw that by the time the car fails it's MOT on corrosion that there will be galloping rot absolutely everywhere on it.

That is my fear with it, she doesn't have a lot of money and tends to have cars firmly in the 'banger' class so it won't have been looked after as she can't afford to. Catch 22 situation. If I can get another year out of it without too much expense then brilliant but I would like to know what I am likely to encounter before we embark on it.

I had a 1.7 Puma. Got rid of it about 2 years ago. I did the 206 front wing rear arch repair. I did a ton of other work on it too. It was a cracking car to drive but I did get fed up of it basically being a Fiesta but less practical.

DSC_0267Large.jpg

DSC_0272Large.jpg

DSC_0276Large.jpg

DSC_0281Large.jpg

DSC_0286Large.jpg

DSC_0288Large.jpg

DSC_0294Large.jpg

DSC_0589Large.jpg

I spent 6 months with this car touring Spain and it was amazing!

DSC_0649_zpsb49cc512.jpg

DSC_0576_zpsae0d8673.jpg

I had a quick look today and it's well crusty on top, the red is also badly faded showing a life of loving care, sorry a lack of loving care. I will get it on the ramp tomorrow or Wednesday but she is realistic that the chances are it's too far gone.

To strike a lighter note, the one I roffled on here earlier this year turned out to be less rotten than the Mondeo I replaced it with - it did need a small patch on the end of one inner sill for MOT and the arches were crusty as they all are, but it wasn't bad.

Seems some can be a lot worse than others. My inner sill patch was listed as a seat belt mount (within 30cm of one) - nothing's very far from anything else on tbese :)

I think I will end up with this one at work, so will either go for the lads to mess about with or may return to the road if it turns out to be ok underneath. Either way it's going to need a bit of work to do anything with and they just aren't worth anything when sorted.

Because masochism I removed the paint and sealant from the floor to sill joint both sides on mine as it was bubbling up ever so slightly if you looked very closely from under the car. There were loads of places where the flanges were starting to spread as the rot progressed. Yet this was a cosmetically good car. They really know how to rot!

these are GR8 wee things at the current prices.

tremendous fun in 1.7 form and very chuckable. I agree they will be worth serious coin in the future.

At the moment though theyre rock bottom and so heavy welding isnt likely to be worthwhile unless she absolutely loves the car.

you could pick up another in better shape for less than the welding bill

It can live where I work for a while and we can what happens. It's outside but under cover so not too bad. It also helps me as I need to fill some space with cars that aren't mine for a while for reasons that would take too long to explain so it's not in the way. She only wants scrap value on it, so I may take a punt at £50 if it's not too horrendous when I get a look underneath.

I worked for BTCellnet/O2 many years ago, and one of my tasks was to liaise with BT employees who had mobile phone car kits fitted in their motors, and make appointments if there were any fitment issues.

Had a couple of these come up as leaking like a sieve after the car kit was fitted, and upon speaking to the fitters, turns out that these Puma's were notorious even then as having "about a hundred different places for water to get in" - grommets and all sorts apparently were regular problem areas, much worse than the usual company car fodder, and the dealers were equally baffled and perplexed by moisture ingress complaints.

Nice little car at the time I thought, but wouldn't want to risk one now frankly :shock:

wouldn't want to risk one now frankly :shock:

Where as I'm keen as french mustard, and am currently bidding on one that's the same colour of said condiment.

I think that's what AS is about (for me at least).  Trying out cars when they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve, then boring your children/Grandchildren to tears with "I had one of those" anecdotes whenever one comes up in 30 years for £bodyorgans.

When I bought my Puma, I planned to keep it for a few months. I'm now trying to workout how best to hide the rot to keep it for a 3rd year.

Great car, not sure that I can replace it for anything half as fun but as above. It is not worth sorting out rot when it is still possible to get a bargain priced replacement.

I think that will change in the next couple of years though. Already, the days of the sub £500 Puma, that is fit for more than driving to the bridge, are coming to a close.

If you find one with the leather with 11 months mot on then buy it, I got £225 for my seats and door cards! It's all interchangeable by model, some bloke drove his standard one down with just the drivers seat fitted and I helped him fit my interior to it

Mine broke easily for £540ish a few years ago, and I didn't sell that much as I didn't have the means to remove the engine, axle, wheels etc

Where as I'm keen as french mustard, and am currently bidding on one that's the same colour of said condiment.

I think that's what AS is about (for me at least).  Trying out cars when they're at the bottom of the depreciation curve, then boring your children/Grandchildren to tears with "I had one of those" anecdotes whenever one comes up in 30 years for £bodyorgans.

Is is a Millennium yellow one?