mk1 focus FTP boiled up HELP

steveo3002

mk1 focus petty 1600 , was on the motorway this morning , dash lights up and it felt like it was slowing , managed to dive down a exit almost straight away 

got out and the header tank was full to the cap and spilling over , fan not on , no obvious coolant in oil or vice versa

ive let it cool down and its lost about an inch of coolant , starts and sounds fine no misfires or rattles from the pump

any ideas im thinking maybe water pump or stat ??  can the stat close up after driving for 2 hrs 

temp gauge was straight up normal 

yes haynes suggests what you mention...i guess thats the slowing down was

lights ....yellow wheel shaped one manual says overheat and then the check engine one came on , now once cooled its just the check engine

**what movement should i see in the header tank??   at the side of the road when still warm there was none and i just started it from cold and again no movement over a few mins 

If it's a Ford Stat they usually fail safe I.e open, I'd doubt it's that. Unlikely to be a seized water pump as that would whip the drivebelt clean off, could well be a failed impeller on the pump. As you say I'd doubt it's the head gasket, they very rarely go on these.

Simple answer might be a failed cap on the header tank, in a way these are meant to be a service item, if you look on the service book it says you ought to replace it at Xxx miles. Doubt f it makes a difference. Could be that the pressure relied on yours has failed. Cheap to replace I'd give it a go, then check the water pump if the impeller has failed on it, then go down the route of compression testing etc.

Hot to cold should be about an inch on the header tank, maybe a bit less.

No, I'd spend £3-4 on a new cap, I think the cooling system could be overpressuring. I'd see how you get on with that first. The pump is a bit involved, taking timing belt off to get behind it. If it was the bearings on it you'd hear it, plus it'd leak from the weep hole underneath. Could be the impeller has come off internally.

As a temp measure if the cap is overpressurising you could drill an 1/8 hole in the top. Wouldn't run it with no cap, there'll be coolant everywhere otherwise.

The temp gauge is fed from the cyl head temp sensor as opposed to an actual coolant feed for the gauge on some modern Fords.

If the stat was jammed open the gauge though wouldn't get past about 1/3 even after a while. If it's an aftermarket stat it's possible it could jam closed.

Mrs P's Bini did a similar thing and that was traced to some sort of relay in the radiator fan assembly failing and the fan not working.

The fact you mentioned the car boiling up and the fan not kicking in might mean something similar? If it was hot enough to boil over I would expect the fan to be running constantly

Bypass the fan switch and see if the fans seized. I'd doubt the fans would be running at 70mph.

no shouldnt expect the fans to be needed at 70

so far ive pulled the stat and it checks out in the saucepan of hot water , then started on water pump removal but got stuck so will carry on tommorow  

will look at a cap on monday cheers

ran it up again....seemed fairly normal heater started to work after 5-8 mins , gauge crept up to the middle but the rad hoses stayed cold

took it for a 2mile run to circulate things and this is where it gets wierd , the rad hose on the passenger side was hot , other side near the stat stone cold 

header tank and hoses cold ..at that point that rad fan came on and ran until i decided to turn off 

*****so engine hot /pipework not *****

• 2 weeks later...

right if anyone is still looking in 

rad all flushed out , new coolant , new cap

from the engine bay all appears normal , warms up as it should , isnt stupidly hot after hours driving around town- never appears too hot

the most random thing is now happening , if you get to 70mph for a few mins then back off to 50 or below the gauge will shoot from normal to red and back again in about 10 secs , only seems to do it under those circumstances and never around town or prelonged idling   

Water pump not pumping very effectively and so on overrun it struggles to cool things?

A mates Focarse mk1 had a coolant temperature (or was it the wiring?) fail when driving in the rain. That caused the temp gauge to go to the max and wouldn't let the engine accelerate.

It's normal for the gauge to rise slightly after being on the motorway but it should rise only a small amount any then return to normal.

Obvs yours rises much more than that which suggests that something is either not pumping or restricting the flow. What makes you think the waterpump and stat are ok? My Corsa stat stuck shut from cold which was a bit scary temp wise.

What makes you think the waterpump and stat are ok? My Corsa stat stuck shut from cold which was a bit scary temp wise.

took the pump off , impeller like new and not spinning on shaft , stat checked in a pan okay and then replaced with new one out of desperation 

rad..yeah feels normal- thing is i can do 40 mins at 75 and no issues as long as i never back off or brake , as soon as i brake its flicked over to red for a few seconds ,drive off again at 70 and its fine for ever until i slow again , i feel if the rad was blocked /fucked it woulnt stick motorway speeds for long at all

You know what, it had completely slipped my mind but there was a chap on a now defunct Focus forum that had a 53 plate 1.6 Zetec which had exactly this issue. The full two cylinders/engine lights thing. My memory is hazy but I'm fairly sure it came down to the water pump on his car, even though it looked ok at the time.