Stripped Fred's Sharan Family Wagon (TDI Tinkering)

KruJoe

After a bit of minor fettling, basically having a look around it, cleaned the map sensor and taping up a breather pipe that won't do anything, me and the dog went for a drive. I must say it is a nice car to drive. Nice high up driving position, great visibility, slightly germanic ride but not overly so. The engine feels more refined than in my A4. The gearbox is great. I think I may be a convert. It also handles OK but there's no denying it's a big, heavyish car so you have to allow for that.

We pootled around some local country roads and then came to the nearest stretch of dual carriageway. It's about 2 miles uphill so I mashed the accelerator to the floor until we were at 80. No limp mode. I can only assume that either it's fixed, or it comes on after a bit more driving. I'm going to use it for work this week and see how it goes. I doubt it's as simple as that but you never know. I might try some of that forte turbo cleaner stuff too as a simple fix which can do no harm.

One final thing I noticed is that there's a slight whiff which smells a bit of hot coolant. It's hardly noticeable but i think it's there. If it is coolant then does anyone know where it could be coming from? I can't see any obvious leaks, the level is at max and it stays bang on 90, on the dial at least. Something to put on the watch list.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/ is the near-guaranteed method of freeing up sticking vanes, but loads say they've had success with http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-detail/34/Diesel-Turbo-Cleaner.

It's worth a good check of all the vacuum pipes for splits and cracks, a small leak will throw all the electronics into confusion.

This stuff helpfully suggested by forddeliveryboy.

The gearbox is great.

I'm also a fairly new fan of auto boxes, my Pleasure Wagon and my daily in Thailand (Volvo 850) are both autos.

So now I am a fan of them in the correct applications and this Sharan is an example of a correct application. From the little I drove it, my opinions seem to chime with yours on this matter Fred!

Do you know the basics on checking and keeping your gearbox oil cherry red and healthy?

On my PW, I tend to drop what comes from the drain plug once a year, and top up with new oil. That changes about half the capacity each time.

then came to the nearest stretch of dual carriageway. It's about 2 miles uphill so I mashed the accelerator to the floor until we were at 80. No limp mode. .

That's great, and how - if it is sticking turbo vanes and actuator ring - you'll clean and free them up without having to dismantle and the rest. Repeat regularly, foot to the floor.

I'm also a fairly new fan of auto boxes, my Pleasure Wagon and my daily in Thailand (Volvo 850) are both autos.

So now I am a fan of them in the correct applications and this Sharan is an example of a correct application. From the little I drove it, my opinions seem to chime with yours on this matter Fred!

Do you know the basics on checking and keeping your gearbox oil cherry red and healthy?

On my PW, I tend to drop what comes from the drain plug once a year, and top up with new oil. That changes about half the capacity each time.

Thanks Joe, I think I'll leave it at the moment as working fine but good to know. It depends if it's a long termer or not but will admit it's growing on me. Let's see how it goes!

That's great, and how - if it is sticking turbo vanes and actuator ring - you'll clean and free them up without having to dismantle and the rest. Repeat regularly, foot to the floor.

I'm going to put a couple of cleaner treatments through it and give it a daily thrashing. None of this bumbling around in top at 1200 rpm nonsense.