Peugeot 106 1.5D *!!Collected!!*

Jim Bell

The ex-Cabbage 1.5D was well capable of 90+ on a private* test track.

Genuine Pug filter £7.20:

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281874474254

When I first got my 1360cc 106D, it was even more sluggish than I expected, but the clear fuel pump inlet lines betrayed a failing rubber pipe near the grenade. (It was letting air bubbles in.) Fresh bit of pipe in - sorted. All of the speedy*.

A clear plastic inline filter near the battery helps keep an eye on things.

The ex-Cabbage 1.5D was well capable of 90+ on a private* test track.

Genuine Pug filter £7.20:

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281874474254

When I first got my 1360cc 106D, it was even more sluggish than I expected, but the clear fuel pump inlet lines betrayed a failing rubber pipe near the grenade. (It was letting air bubbles in.) Fresh bit of pipe in - sorted. All of the speedy*.

A clear plastic inline filter near the battery helps keep an eye on things.

Cheers Joe. Ill get one ordered. Whats access like and wheres it located? Im at work at the mo.

It's easy enough if you pull the batt out to do it. Plenty of space then.

C1ZQRQl.jpg

Between your red battery terminal and your MAX POWER filter is a little yellow/white clip - see it?

The filter is just below that.

NB: There's a bleed nipple on top of the ally housing to help you get the air out after. :)

It's easy enough if you pull the batt out to do it. Plenty of space then.

C1ZQRQl.jpg

Between your red battery terminal and your MAX POWER filter is a little yellow/white clip - see it?

The filter is just below that.

NB: There's a bleed nipple on top of the ally housing to help you get the air out after. :)

Does your SHITE POWER filter add a limping pony of extra ooommmph??  Every extra pony liberated on 1.5D is helpful on the commute to Portugal.

Actually, I thought about this.

Cars are a byproduct of making money. As some point in the 1980s-1990s, the engineering of cars got so good, the arguments for why your profitable product was better than somebody else's profitable product got harder to create. Similarly, buyer affluence in most of the west, homogenisation of the markets and buying power across Europe, meant that we got the best cars at the best prices.

Finance and interest rates may have influenced the sales figures and affordability of luxury cars, but ultimately the engineering just got to be too good.

Therefore, cars became a technology product. Yes, there is still engineering, at a very high level - just as there is inside software or silicon - but the sales points aren't "Our suspension is cleverer", it's "Our bluetooth kit and CarPlay is better". Showroom appeal is about tactile surfaces, about perceived lifestyle and safety.

Now, the easiest way to justify a profitable price on a car is to make it bigger. There's only a small difference in cost between, say, an Audi 80 and an Audi 100 of the third generations - similar engines etc. - but the retail price different was enormous. IIRC the cost between even Audi 100 and 200 was 150DM at cost, translating into a 1500DM markup in profit (plus whatever extra margins the dealer got).

In the '60s we had things as diverse as the Herald, Rover P6, Corvair, 2CV and Ro80 all on sale, all showcasing very different types of engineering, but with very basic levels of technology inside.

In the '80s we ended the decade with the 2CV still on sale, but the Lexus LS400 and Citroën XM also...

Engineering lost out in the long run. Being different and clever was eclipsed by being big, high on perceived value and obvious tech.

And there are three distinct attempts to make unusual small family cars that spring to mind that were engineering based.

The original Audi A2, the W168 Mercedes A-class, and to a lesser extent, the Twingo - though Renault have actually stepped up with the new Twingo. Japan had more unusual designs, but they were about the body, not the engineering - I'd argue the Previa falls into this category of experimental ideas except they really don't offer any advantage over a conventionally engineered MPV.

Weird thought. The Smart ForFour and Twingo are related by rear engine/four seat/shared platforms. Smart originally wanted to partner with Renault before joining with Mercedes. Smart also partnered with Mitsubishi, but based the ForFour on the Colt and not the more Smart-like i. The i was launched in 2006 - it MUST have been in development during the Smart/Mitsubishi partnership. And Mitsubishi ended up licencing the car to other marques, as if there were suddenly a hole in their European market plans...

Can't help but think there's a longer chain here that lead to Renault making a rear engined Twingo...

Oh, yeah, I had a point. Those three attempts didn't exactly fail, but they also didn't have a lasting impact. The A-class is now based on a bloody Megane, the A2 is just another steel hatchback, and the Twingo, weirdly, has gone less conventional.

Boring boring update:

post-5435-0-15509500-1491207258_thumb.jpeg

The puglet has been faultless since Cobblers repaired the clock set. Its been in dailly service and is returning MEGA mpg. Id post actual science numbers but I havnt got through a tank yet! Current sit.rep. is half a tank on the gauge and 227 miles under its belt.

Personal circumstances are shifting somewhat and I may be soon purchading a modernish boringish blandbox.

The 106 will most likely be offered here for roffle if theres enough interest.

Can be provided with Station aporoved size appropriate disclok device via negotiation if required. Garunteed to ruin any thiefs day. Will also come with new JENUWIN PUGJEOW posh fuel filter and Krujoe reccomended in line clear filter too.

post-5435-0-15279700-1491210439_thumb.jpg

Starts grand, Runs grand,Stops grand.

Motd and taxed to drive away.

Equiped with remote central locking and pretty much no other options unless you count a (non leaking) sunroof and rear wiper.