NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

I enjoyed that one, F1 shite aside.

Jay Kay is a good guest, and it was nice to hear about the Diablo windscreen. When I was at school and Cosmic Girl was new, there was rumour going around that it had no screen.

The Ssangyacht was tremendous, too. Given we have seen amphibious cars a couple of times before, I thought this was very original and not too bodged.

It looked genuinely terrifying when flat out. :D

So £30K + for a single use prop. Value!

But surely when you sell the footage of that prop for £8m it becomes good value. They didn't have to film it in Monaco either, or pay Eddie Jordan to do the review and so on but that's what they need to do to make it sell.

If they even make half of the £40 million net profit they made from it with the last 3 idiots on it, they are still doing okay aren't they.

If they used a pedal car on a rowing boat and filmed it in a municipal swimming pool in Stafford, it might not be as popular with the viewers.

For the first time in many years I've watched every episode in the series and have to say I've enjoyed them all. Yeh theres been a few lame bits but overall I've preferred it to old TG.

The Bernie vs Eddie thing was odd and painful. Presumably they got offered an exclusive interview, felt they couldn't turn it down, then felt like they had to show it despite it being a car crash.

Bring on the next series!

• 10 months later...

Holy thread resurrection!

Tonight sees "second hand sports cars" purchased and driven round a Japanese island. Rory explores "Tokyo's weirdest car based subculture" Roverising 1990s Honda niche models? This new series again has made a low key start compared to the fanfare that the Beeb used to muster up for Clarkson et al. Did anyone catch the first episode?

Yes, I've watched both so far. I want to like it, I do like Harris, but the whole fakery thing is annoying me. You see Harris drifting, but you never see MLB drifting...

Also, the humour is just not there. (not that I found the previous incarnation funny after about 2010). Tonight, they'll be racing Japanese cars and, get this, they'll put sumo wrestlers in them! Ha ha haaa! How HILARIOUS.

The off-road segment last week was just dull, I found, possibly because of the Big Foot back-story they felt like giving it.

My highlight so far is the seemingly improvised on-board shot of the McLaren drift pulled off by Harris during the car chase with Ken 'I-Can-Drive-Very-Fast-If-I-Can-Practice-For-Three-Weeks-Beforehand' Block.

One of the most satisfying bits of driving I've ever seen on any Top Gear, and that includes watching Clarkson break his thumb crashing a Volvo into a brick wall and generally hurt himself by crashing a truck through a brick wall.

I wish they'd give Rory more air time - it's always MLB and Harris dicking around and, apart from the first one (which was pretty good), he seems to be restricted to stupid 5 min slots about the reverse speed of city cars.

I find the celebrity bit cringeworthy in the extreme - rather they just cut to the celebrity lap and slot something in the rest of the 10 minute segment, such as Rory playing Roulette with some old Rovers or something. Y'know, like this

James May covered Japanese car culture in his "Cars of the people" series. That was interesting because he went into the history of the Kei car without feeling the need to criticise ones poor lap time when compared with the latest Koeniggsegg or whatever.

His stunt? Racing a Honda Cub and a Daihatsu Copen (driven by Toshio Suzuki) to deliver some noodles to Hondas head office through Tokyo traffic. As May himself said, "you can't stop noodles!"

Mmmmm, noodles......

Anyway, I don't expect to see a Daihatsu Tanto or Suzuki Lapin Chocolat on TG tonight so might skip it. A man can only take so many slo-mo's of sideways Skylines which I suspect will be the main gist of this evenings show.