Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NNN Top Gear- 8pm last in series. Last with current line up? Discuss....

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Heritage motor centre

Heritage motor centre

Feckless Idiot

• Full Members
  • 2,864 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Noticably without hype, New New top gear starts tonight. Matt LeBlanc, Rory Reid and Chris Harris are billed. " A race across Kazakhstan in high mileage cars" is too. I suspect something like a taxied b5 Passat simply won't make interesting tv- ( barring the high drama of borked central locking and brake calipers made of cheese etc) So how old and how shite will they venture, and what do you recon this new new top gear will be like. Is it the last roll of the dice for the "new" presenters?
  • richardthestag, flat4alfa and Junkman like this
2005 Mercedes CLS 500
2007 vw polo TDI

#2 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 906 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

Cheers for the heads up, has to be better than any thing else that will be on at that time!

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1998 Volvo 940

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

#3 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 3,888 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

I didn't watch the last Top Gear with Chris Evans as his style irritates me. However I really do like Chris Harris previous YouTube videos (Drive, et. al) and Matt LeBlanc looks to be a car nut with good presenting skills. No idea who the other bloke is though!

I'll think I'll give this episode a shot tonight.
Current Fleet:
2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp - The fun one that is the last hurrah before kids
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#4 OFFLINE   tommotech

tommotech

• Full Members
  • 248 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

I hope they make a better go of the series this time, they just tried too hard in the last series.

If in doubt give it a clout, if you're unsure hit it some more................

#5 OFFLINE   Philyc

Philyc

• Full Members
  • 135 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Chris evans was my main gripe with the last attempt. The comeradery of the presenters will develope over time like clarkson et al.

Ill give it a chance, hopefully its alright because i need something of that type to fill sunday nights.

Id like to see a knackered old renault espace with the captains chairs "just like my grandma had"

#6 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,000 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'll certainly give it a go. Scripting also let down the previous series, but not as much as Evans. Sabine added bugger all to it as well sadly. I shall judge this series on its merits.

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1989 Nissan Bluebird
1990 Proton 1.5GLS, 1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#7 OFFLINE   Sloth in a bowl

Sloth in a bowl

The Furry One

• Full Members
  • 2,393 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Locationin a bowl, obviously

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

The issue with Chris Evans was so obvious that I'm surprised that they even glanced at him as a presenter.

Top Gear's comedy for 10 years was based on self deprecation and he cannot do that, fortunately all 3 surviving presenters can.

I suspect a ropy start but at least they have level foundations to build on this time.

• RayMK likes this

Future Shite - 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS

Past Shite - 1974 Datsun 260Z

Current Shite - 2003 Megane Coupe

Previously owned shite

84 Fiat Uno - Rusty

94 Renault Laguna Mk1 - Breaky

02 Volvo V40 - Steady

99 The Scotoshite Kia/Volvo Pride - Funny

00 Ford Puma - Giggly

#8 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

BBC2 too! SSGB is good on BBC1 9pm and has nice cars ( and uniforms!).
  • alf892 likes this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#9 ONLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 5,631 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think the Evans show did a good job, lots of hype and headlines - all publicity is good publicity, etc.
These 3 even with one of them been a Hollywood star wouldn't have attracted so much attention, now they're familiar , and most people seem to agree, the best 3 from last years 6 to carry the show forward.

I'll probably watch it , which is more than I've done so far with Grand Tour.

#10 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

• Full Members
  • 4,331 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

BBC2 too! SSGB is good on BBC1 9pm and has nice cars ( and uniforms!).

This ^^^ at best Top gear will get a chance on one of the thousand repeats they do.

#11 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 5,012 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

The fact that I scout YouTube looking for episodes of old old quentin Wilson top gear speaks volumes.
  • brickwall, robinmasters, Vince70 and 2 others like this

#12 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,018 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

A good quote from Chris Harris

"We're not going out to make a comedy show, and that's great, certainly from my point of view because obviously I'm totally obsessed with cars and I don't really like people."

• Barry Cade., DSdriver, mat_the_cat and 4 others like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#13 OFFLINE   Mr Lobster

Mr Lobster

• Full Members
  • 7,277 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSomewhere.

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

I'm looking forward to it. The main issue with the last series was Chris Evans so with him gone I'm hoping it'll be pretty good.

#14 ONLINE   Vince70

Vince70

• Full Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBexhill

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

I didn't watch the last series because I really can't stand self obsessed Evans if there was just one reason to join the TV licence resistance group I think that would be it.
I would really like to know how he gets any media work he really must have something on someone.

But I will watch the new one though now he's gone.

#15 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,133 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

My wife will probably watch this. I will not. Poor man's poor man's Top Gear doesn't appeal.

#16 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,000 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

My wife will probably watch this. I will not. Poor man's poor man's Top Gear doesn't appeal.

Ah yes. Nowt like judging a show before it has aired! I can slate GT, because I saw some of it and it was awful. I can slag the previous series, because I saw that and a good chunk of it was dreadful. I can slag quite a few series before the trio departed, because it was shit. I can't judge whether this new series is any good, because I haven't seen it. The glory years of 'new' Top Gear were about eight years ago. Then it disappeared up its own arse.

• Mr Lobster, blakey79 and mat_the_cat like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1989 Nissan Bluebird
1990 Proton 1.5GLS, 1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#17 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,301 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationEel Pie Duckpond

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

I switched off from the original TG as I couldn't stand the former public schoolboys with their 'comedy'.
I switched off from the newer TG as it was lacklustre. I didn't see the huge issue with Evans personally. He's ok.
I will tentatively switch on to the new new TG tonight to see if it's become a decent car programme after all these years.
I imagine that the longer-term outcome will be that I will only watch Fuzz and Tim instead, as their programme pisses over all the others.
"The "i" on the back of my Cavalier tells everyone I've made it.
It stands for "i" am "i"ncredible, "i"mportant, and it means everyone
has to get out of my way. I don't pull over for anything.
Unless it has headlamp washers because that means it's an SRi
and he's more important than my GLi.
Then I pull over and nod to let him know he's more important than me."

#18 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,133 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Ah yes. Nowt like judging a show before it has aired! I can slate GT, because I saw some of it and it was awful. I can slag the previous series, because I saw that and a good chunk of it was dreadful. I can slag quite a few series before the trio departed, because it was shit. I can't judge whether this new series is any good, because I haven't seen it. The glory years of 'new' Top Gear were about eight years ago. Then it disappeared up its own arse.

It's an attempt to continue the format that I didn't like from the start and everybody else got fed up with about ten years ago. I've seen enough of it from the many trailers to know it's not for me.

• Banger Kenny and drum like this

#19 OFFLINE   garbaldy

garbaldy

• Full Members
  • 3,795 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBerwickshire

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Just how could everyone have gotten fed up with the format years ago when the viewing figures state otherwise,
Enough with the slaggin off it's a car show if anyone thinks they can do better then grab a camera and fire away, I think you will find it's not that easy,
Us car sorts are a minority group so disingage your brain and watch a bit of TV which has cars in it.
  • Mr Lobster, NorfolkNWeigh, RayMK and 1 other like this

#20 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,018 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Evans ruined the last one by being weird.  Grand Tour was even more last of the summer wine with cars than they managed in TG.

The 3 people they have now are as good a chance as they have to make a decent mass market car show.

There isn't really any great car related tv.

Wheeler Dealers has disappeared up it's own arse a bit.

Gas Monkey garage is truly awful now. The smaller bearded one who builds the cars has realised it's shit and chucked it.

The best stuff on cars just now is Motortrend on youtube. Hot rod garage, dirt every day road kill and the head 2 head stuff is all really good.

I also seen drive tribe has poached most of the EVO staff members and is generating really high quality stuff and putting it on

youtube

The time is now for autoshite TV (3 hour epic film of me trying to undo 1 bolt on a Fiat Panda alternator)

• flat4alfa, Lacquer Peel, Danterzza and 2 others like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#21 OFFLINE   flat4alfa

flat4alfa

• Full Members
  • 5,620 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationFar too close to Gunsmoke Luton to feel safe

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

I'm looking forward to it

But I bet I will be riled by yet another programme packed with out-of-reach supercars on opposite-lock, ad nauseum

• Sheefag likes this

Vauxhall FB VX4/90, Alfa 33 Mk1 Gold Cloverleaf, Rover 420 SLi, Rover 418 GSD, Alfa 156 derv Wagon, funny face Multipla derv, Honda Aerodeck
Daimler XJ40AvantimeX1/9Alfa 146 boxer, Acclaim, XM veg, Maxi, Alfa 6, Alfa 33 QV, Alfa 155, TreviBeta SaloonsLandcrab, P6BRover R8 dervs, FuegoAlfasuds128, 131 and everything else

#22 ONLINE   Fat_Pirate

Fat_Pirate

• Full Members
  • 529 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'd just like to point out that a new series of Robot Wars is on tonight at 7pm.  This is ace and nobody can argue with that.

• Pillock, AngusToledo, Vince70 and 2 others like this

1996 Jaguar XJ6

1991 MX5

2003 Berlingo Multispace 

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible

2002 CLK230 convertible

#23 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 5,517 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Is Top Gear still a thing? It stopped being any good in the 1990s.

• Richard and Shep Shepherd like this

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#24 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,133 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Just how could everyone have gotten fed up with the format years ago when the viewing figures state otherwise,
Enough with the slaggin off it's a car show if anyone thinks they can do better then grab a camera and fire away, I think you will find it's not that easy,
Us car sorts are a minority group so disingage your brain and watch a bit of TV which has cars in it.

Lots of programmes that nobody really likes get high viewing figures.

I'll decide what I do or don't want to watch on TV, if it's all the same to you. If it makes you feel better I'll grant you permission to watch it.

• AngusToledo, mat_the_cat and Lacquer Peel like this

#25 ONLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 13,184 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

For the record, Top Gear was the one with cardigans, Lada Riva roadtests and investigations into the price of Halogen bulbs.

New Top Gear was the one with The Stig, three presenters, enjoyable films and supercars.

New New Top Gear was Chris Evans.

This therefore is New New New Top Gear.

I think the one thing we can guarantee is that everyone will have an opinion on it. Watching is optional.

• Banger Kenny, Bobthebeard, Alusilber and 3 others like this

#26 ONLINE   sofarsogood

sofarsogood

• Full Members
  • 118 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEmerald Hill Zone

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

"The glory years of 'new' Top Gear were about eight years ago. Then it disappeared up its own arse."

This x 100 billionty

Does it run it on gas? Its a V8 not a patio heater.

#27 ONLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,270 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I like cars.

Top Gear has cars in it.

I therefore generally like Top Gear, and will like it until cars are no longer featured.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • Barry Cade., Pillock, Mr Lobster and 3 others like this

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4 that now thinks its a Goona.

Now becoming the new 'Autoshite Bike'...320Touring is the latest lucky dawg to sample V8 smoothness.

#28 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,133 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

For the record, Top Gear was the one with cardigans, Lada Riva roadtests and investigations into the price of Halogen bulbs.

New Top Gear was the one with The Stig, three presenters, enjoyable films and supercars.

New New Top Gear was Chris Evans.

This therefore is New New New Top Gear.

I think the one thing we can guarantee is that everyone will have an opinion on it. Watching is optional.

If you're counting a change of one presenter it's New New New New Top Gear.

#29 OFFLINE   Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Drive in with Shaw Taylor and Tony Bastable was the only car show anyone ever needed

• Fat_Pirate, dave j, cms206 and 5 others like this

#30 ONLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 5,631 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

When I was a kid cars on telly was restricted to after 9 pm. Dramas and Yank stuff. Soaps, only Coronation St and Crossroads, just didn't have any outside filming same with sitcoms. Any glimpse of a car, such as public information films or adverts- did anyone else get excited by the Wrigleys ad with a Chrysler 180 in it ?, was a high spot of my late 60's early 70's viewing.
Just enjoy what we've got, because as has already been mentioned, car enthusiasts* are a small and pretty unimportant demographic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users