NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

What I hate more than anything is this being patronised bit.

"Aston Martin has a long history of making beautiful cars..."

I demand to be allowed to bloody well decide for myself which cars I find beautiful and which not

and not some witless septic tank telling me what I have to think.

I shit on telly.

I watched it again tonight, like some sort of masochist - I thought it was/is just piss poor from start to finish; its a 'very long hour' of telly; sort of reminiscent of a crap job with an annoying mouthy egotist boss; time seems to draggg...

they've clearly thrown a huge amount of coin at it, the BBC, with ridiculous over the top effects, extra drivers etc and whatever huge amount of coin they pay the three 'presenters' - end result is cringe worthy laboured idiot fodder TV...

...I think as someone on here already mentioned, its not actually aimed at anyone 'into cars'/car enthuastiasts' - the 'bullseye of the dartboard' their aiming for is, the stereotypical audi a4 driver twats / auto express reader, someone who knows sweet FA about cars, but likes to think they do...

Nope. A stinker tonight. From the crushing inevitability of a Bond themed Aston review to Rory Reid saying "How do you know that?" When Tamsin Greig quipped that the HD in "Lowlander Widebody 380 HD" meant High Definition (it's actually far more likely to mean Heavy Duty) - only to for the audience to chorus "YES" when he asked them "Did anybody in here know that?"

And the Golf Nurburgring segment proved nothing, aside from that a GTI being driven hard is faster than a Porsche 911 being driven gently.

I remember when Top Gear was good. Last week.

I just can not get on with this programme, I still see le plank as the stooge from an overrated American sitcom that wasn't funny 20 years ago, as for the other two, I honestly don't know what they are doing there, it's just terrible, sorry I hate Chris Evans as much as any sane person but I'm starting to think that he was not the major problem with the last series, it's just not very good television.

I'm liking it more every week. 'arris knows his stuff- this milleniums LJK Setright... Le Blanc obviously is a petrolhead and he's losing his Hollywoodness and I think Rory's slowly getting into his groove. This week was the first time I didn't compare it to GT and the old,new new new top gear and enjoyed it in it's own right. If you don't like it,You Tube is full of stuff you may like, but leave Top Gear alone for folks that just want to see nice cars,in nice places without having to think too much. Anywhere I can see a 124, a proper 124, on TV then I'm in.

I did groffle at 'arris in that jacket.

Indeed. It isn't all good, but I did laugh at the opening feature, several times.

Rory is becoming a problem though. He's just a bucket of cliches and phacts.

I had a couple of sniggers, but reserved actual laughter until a repeat of Yes Minister shortly afterwards.

I thought tonight's episode was a bit poor, is it possible to do a feature on Aston Martin without referencing James Bond?  It was well filmed and Matt LeBlanc was pretty good but the basic idea was lazy.

The Golf GTi feature proved nothing as said above, other than just because you can afford a Lamborghini it doesn't mean you're a good driver, especially when its your own car and you've read the costs associated with stuffing it into the barrier.  And that someone who drives a certain track all the time and is very good at it, will be very good.  Sorry, but I knew all of those things.

Perhaps it would have been more telling to put her in a diesel Astra and seen that she would still have been overtaking a million quid's worth of cars.

If they're hoping to show the programme in other countries where there are adverts, maybe trim it to 50 minutes and it might not seem so forced.

I gauge how I'm going to feel about an episode by the social-media reactions to it.

The more vitriol and hatred levelled at each episode, the more I tended to enjoy it. This isn't an out-of-spite thing (honest guv), it's just a thing.

Not sure whether it's because I have a simpler mind that doesn't demand a lot from the show to be entertained. I do get the impression there's an element of 'I'M BLOODY DETERMINED TO HATE THIS' going on, not necessarily on here (although I'm not convinced), but in general with regards to new-cubed Top Gear.

It was just an hour or so of enjoyable, watchable car-related TV. Fantastic photography. Maybe not highly original, but still interesting. I'm offering a possibly-generous two-season benefit-of-the-doubt buffer to the presenters in terms of sorting out format/banter-related issues (of which there are some), but I'm very confident by the progress made since the first episode that within two seasons they'll have refined it nicely.

Very generous, I reckon.

I think the show needs a completely different format.

For example:

Each week, a team of automotive experts* is given a fucked Laguna 2 and an hour to repair it.

If they fail, their testicles are removed with a cold chisel & fed to feral cats.

If they succeed, they are entitled to sell the car on ebay & split the proceeds... (how they share the tube of Smarties they can afford to buy with said proceeds is up to them).

Why did they praise the Fiat 124, which always was no more than a rusting piece of spaghetti rubbish only suitable for Russians,

but slag the Dolly Sprint, which certainly isn't worse? Unqualified drivel that can't be topped in journalistic incompetence,

only uttered for the reason that it is presumed to be what 'the masses' want to hear.

Note the hypocritical absurdity - buy an original 124 because it's wonderful and the newfangled Chinese one is tosh (quel surprise),

but the Seventies were awful because Dolly Sprint and were only rescued by the Golf GTI.

Intellectual arse gravy of the highest order.

An insult for every intelligent form of life.

I'd be a bit upset this morning if I had a tidy Dolomite up for sale right now.  Its value evaporated overnight when the phone went silent.  Gits.

Sadly the 'Rory Reid generation' (actually he is late-thirties, but you wouldn't have thought it!) have an entrenched knock British things attitude since cars became status symbols and not transport.  Your car must be prestige German or you're already failing at life.

Or am I just old and come from an era when the nation wasn't so credit-rich?  I'm only in my forties but feel a world away from many born in the nineties, glued to their smartphones that give them ready answers to any question without any effort to qualify the research. 

Not a rant.

Am I the only one who doesn't get MLB?  I thought he was almost as bad as Evans in the few editions of the last series I watched.  Not tuned into any of the current series.  Didn't like Fifth Gear either.

I think it's about time they turned the life support off.

PS  I bet the new Bake Off will be rubbish too. And Benidorm has fallen off the bottom of the scale.

Am I the only one who doesn't get MLB?  I thought he was almost as bad as Evans in the few editions of the last series I watched.  Not tuned into any of the current series.  Didn't like Fifth Gear either.

I think it's about time they turned the life support off.

PS  I bet the new Bake Off will be rubbish too. And Benidorm has fallen off the bottom of the scale.

How can you comment on the most recent series without viewing it?