NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

For the record, Top Gear was the one with cardigans, Lada Riva roadtests and investigations into the price of Halogen bulbs.

New Top Gear was the one with The Stig, three presenters, enjoyable films and supercars.

New New Top Gear was Chris Evans.

This therefore is New New New Top Gear.

I think the one thing we can guarantee is that everyone will have an opinion on it. Watching is optional.

New³ TopGear

I wonder if it was a conscious decision to underplay the publicity this time. Last time round it was turned up to 11 and almost inevitably it didn't quite live up to expectations. I recon letting it speak for itself, and a series worth of the trio getting to know each other will all work to the shows benefit.

For the record, Top Gear was the one with cardigans, Lada Riva roadtests and investigations into the price of Halogen bulbs.

New Top Gear was the one with The Stig, three presenters, enjoyable films and supercars.

New New Top Gear was Chris Evans.

This therefore is New New New Top Gear.

I think the one thing we can guarantee is that everyone will have an opinion on it. Watching is optional.

No. Woolard was the original TG.

Butler-Henderson was the new TG. That's when the format was relaxed somewhat, presenters personalities and preferences allowed to be evident and VT's of hoonage and generally alternative features started to appear. Without this transitional phase, the 'modern' TG with the three egotistical twats would never have been a thing.

I'm looking forward to it after the disastrous attempt that involved Evans. My main problem with him on the show was that he seemed to like cars but wasn't really into cars deeply enough to carry the show along. What felt like feigned enthusiasm didn't help either. Any rich idiot can be into cars like he is but I think people like Clarkson, Hammond, May, Reid and Harris can bring much more to the table having worked in the automotive journalism field for many years.

I think the new, new (new?) line up is what people were calling for half way through the last season and I think it could work really well; Harris and Reid have a very tangible enjoyment in what they do which it's great to watch but Leblanc remains unproven to me.

I gave Chris Evans a go, and only watched one episode. I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore. I wanted to throw things at the TV.

However I felt matt le blanc was decent, and Ive seen enough of Chris Harris to be a fan (and he owns a 2CV so must have some shite credentials)

So I'll give this a go with an open mind tonight, if I enjoy it I'll keep watching, if I don't I'll not lose any sleep over it.

Car SOS isn't a bad shout btw. But all the really decent content is online these days.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'll give it a watch, Chris Evans was a bit overpowering in the last series which if you liked him was probably a good thing.  Unfortunately forced enthusiasm really winds me up so watching the episodes was a bit of a battle.

These presenters seem good, hopefully they'll try and grow their relationship and the content gradually rather than trying to stand in for Clarkson, Hammond and May, a bit like that strange series of the Dukes of Hazzard where the 2 cousins were replaced by 2 others and hoped nobody would notice.

Also SS GB is on later and I'm slowly getting into that so now for a change there's some programs to watch on a Sunday evening.

But why in SS GB are they driving about in Jaguars in 1941 when the company didn't change their name till 1945 from standard swallow to Jaguar to avoid any association with the SS and surely if Germany had won the war then they wouldn't of changed the name of the car anyway.

It'll never be the same without Kryton and Lisa's Rogers. Worth a watch though.

It is fucking shit. As was last series.

These things should have to be destructive to be allowed to compete. Watch Battle Bots to see how it should be done.

As for TG and GT, I watch them both, along with pretty much every car prog.

Most is just light entertainment with cars. I treat it as so and welcome it.

Robot wars does not contain robots. They're just big remote control cars.

Given how far technology and computing power has gone (visual processing, sensors, etc) in both accessibility, power, performance and cost they should be all autonomous.

The loser should be sent home in a bin bag. Fuck this flipper shite.

Also SS GB is on later and I'm slowing getting into that so now for a change there's some programs to watch on a Sunday evening.

But why in SS GB are they driving about in Jaguars in 1941 when the company didn't change their name till 1945 from standard swallow to Jaguar to avoid any association with the SS and surely if Germany had won the war then they wouldn't of changed the name of the car anyway.

Perhaps the SS didn't want to be associated with SS cars and suggested <<Jaguar>> instead? Jaguar in German is Jaguar.

Well a Volvo 340, Datsun cherry and withnail and I have all had screen time.

The high mileage challenge has a 53 plate Volvo v70, merc w210 ( ex Berlin taxi) and an LTI TX1, the banter is way less cringeworthy on location, feels more spontaneous so far, agreed though the studio stuff was a bit creaky still.

Does seem very forced in bits.

Shows how good JC + co are at their job. The scripts are very similar styles but you can't tell they're scripted quite as much as these guys. But then they've had much more practice doing it.

Lap commentary by Harris is far better than Evans' attempts.

That bloke had no fucking idea about racing lines, braking etc. "Oh! Nice air! Didn't you do well on that corner?!"

The muppet sounded more like Bruce Forsyth.