Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Shitty Old Van

Vauxhall shite

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

This van is held together by lots of tiny tacks, and woodscrews. I made up a frame to keep the 'scuttle' in shape so that when I put it back together it will be something like it's original shape. All the wood is rotten so I've had something to put on the fire during this cold snap.
IMG_20170427_180904956.jpg

IMG_20170427_150634402.jpg

The sills, what's left of them, have been cut off just to the rear of where the scuttle joins the chassis and are bolloxed. They're also quite a difficult shape (for me at least) to replicate and curved along their length so that should be fun.
Meanwhile a search for another engine has failed to turn up anything. I'd quite like a later short stroke one, and a gearbox would be useful so any leads would be appreciated.
Only a couple of years ago my mate did a CA pickup and had two spare engines which nobody wanted so they went with a second pickup he'd got for parts. Curiously the later pickup had its rear panel made from glass fibre instead of steel.
  • anonymous user, Angrydicky, Banger Kenny and 16 others like this

#32 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

IMG_20170604_113619031_1.jpg
Welding has begun. The first side is done, but it's inner and outer mudguards need lots of work. It then remains to make a frame to hang them onto.
I've opted to leave the front portion of the bodywork in place rather than dismantle it all and lose the pieces. I think I'll get the rear part back together and that way the doors have a chance of fitting back in their holes. I use the word 'fit' loosely as did Bedford- the door panels actually overlapped the body panels on these things.
IMG_20170604_113717485.jpg jpg]
The chassis is in very good condition with no welding needed, which is nice. That's the other side panel lying on top waiting for the grinder.
  • Banger Kenny, eddyramrod, mercrocker and 11 others like this

#33 OFFLINE   bunglebus

bunglebus

Grumpy cnut

• Full Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationHazzard County

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Good progress. I think Wickes do wooden welding rods.

• Banger Kenny, somewhatfoolish and Asimo like this

Plain spotter

#34 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

^^ No need, using sellotape like they do at the factory.

In other news I have managed to find and boughted a 'short stroke' '15 '0 something' engine so I wont have to pollute the Bedford by fitting a non-standard lump. I also have purchased a 3 speed box to go on the end of it- the engine comes with a 4 on the floorer, but that would be horribly wasteful; three is plenty for my tree.

• eddyramrod, holbeck, tooSavvy and 6 others like this

#35 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

I fetched 2 Victor engines and 3 gearboxes from Runcorn this weekend, a nice Landrover full. I tried the standard 1500 first- it's been dragged out of the car carelessly and the bell housing has had a hole punched in the side. The carb has been walloped hard so the intake is egg shaped. I cleaned its motley collection of plugs (only 2 were the same heat range) and bent the points arm so that the contacts vaguely touched. After hooking it up to a battery on my test rig (the floor) it burst into life and ran very nicely without smoke.
IMG_20170625_172234755.jpg
The other engine is much smarter, bristling with horsepower (80+), carbs and an alloy head.
IMG_20170625_153839368_HDR.jpg
Last of all are the gearboxes, 2 X 4 speeds and one 3 speed. Here are the two types side by side, one is slightly shorter than the other so that's the one I'll use.
IMG_20170625_153856244_1.jpg
  • fiatdaft, Banger Kenny, alf892 and 16 others like this

#36 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

I've just spattered the last bit of tube in place on the frame for the rear bodywork.IMG_20170804_163854961.jpg

IMG_20170804_163950824.jpg
I've left a big hole in the roof as I fancy leaving the possibility of making an Autosleeper-style lift up roof. I'm also going to have a removable panel in the roof above the front seats as its nice to have a choice of draughts. The next step is to dismantle it, weld up properly and paint the frame and chassis.
  • fiatdaft, Fat_Pirate, binhoker668 and 17 others like this

#37 OFFLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 8,682 posts
  • 36 thanks

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

This is an absolute joy to follow. I am humbled by the indomitable spirit of some shiters, your good self included.
2003 Rover 75 CDT | 2002 Renault Sport Clio 172 | 2000 Corsa B | 2017 Dacia Duster

Car Reviews 1/1 and smaller: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#38 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

That's very kind of you. I have to say that I would be daunted at tackling a car in this state as I'm very poor at the finishing touches. Happily 50's commercials were distinctly lacking in chrome, shiny paint, and trim which are the trickiest bits, not least because of the cost.
For the future, I'm a bit torn between keeping it on the skinny OE 17" crossplies or trying to find some 16" rims and putting it onto vastly better and cheaper 16" taxi tyres. Despite it being a no-brainer there's something alluring about a 1/2 ton van riding on 4 1/4" wide tyres. I'm not overly fond of Mr Setright's musings but he once observed that the povvo-spec MK1 Cortina was ill-shod even when stationary at the curb; the PC is even more so.
  • cobblers, eddyramrod, Jim Bell and 2 others like this

#39 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,755 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Splendid work as always !

Is there a reason you didn't use much triangulation in your frame design - i.e. wanting to replicate the design of the wooden frame ?

#40 OFFLINE   I_am_Diesel

I_am_Diesel

• Full Members
  • 743 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationThrowing plastic into the ocean.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

That's some fantastic work you are doing there, I look forward to seeing lots of pictures when it's finished.

1991 Mk2 VW Golf GTi
1999 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5
1966 Lambretta Li 150 Golden Shower

2003 Vespa PX200 Series Speciale

#41 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Splendid work as always !

Is there a reason you didn't use much triangulation in your frame design - i.e. wanting to replicate the design of the wooden frame ?

Thats a good question and one that I asked myself. A lot. The frame is the same as the previous wooden one which had about as much stiffness as a clown's custard pie. Previously the panels were attached to the wood by 1/2" tacks, and only at the edges. When I remove the frame I'll weld in 4 triangular plates with a captive nuts to attach the seat belts. I'll also bond the panels (which are decently thick) to the frame and that will make it rigid enough. Its all very well for me to say this, but I've no qualifications whatsoever. However I've built a few space framed vehicles before so I make it up as I go along. When I sold the previous vehicle I built like this the new owners had it assessed by a 'proper' qualified person who proclaimed the seat belt mountings to be more than adequate.

This is how that one started out, so rotten most of the upper part of the frame had crumbled away and the panels fell off....

broken amb.jpg

I'll put a picture of that frame on when i can find it- this had alloy panels but ended up extremely rigid.

• Angrydicky, alf892, Jim Bell and 1 other like this

#42 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,755 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

It sounds like it will be be strong enough for what it needs to do, and definitely stronger than the original !

#43 OFFLINE   overrun

overrun

SW20APLENTY

• Full Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationSunny Sunlun by the sea

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

MOAR
  • binhoker668 likes this

Safe now. Everything's lead lined.

#44 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

A little more progress in that the front of the van has been re-united with the back and fitted together. The panels have been bonded with black snot and countersunk stainless screws tapped into the box section.IMG_20171112_120657637.jpg IMG_20171112_120712247_1.jpg

I have some thin walled galvanised box section (lying on the floor) that will be expertly mangled to form the sills. That'll give the MOT man something to suck in 2037- the first bit of GM shit that's gone straight through in years.

Attached Images

• IMG_20171112_120738570.jpg

• binhoker668, anonymous user, Angrydicky and 22 others like this

#45 OFFLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 2,514 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Fantastic.

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

Save the Pangolins.

Current shite:

1952 Morris Oxford Series MO - Sidevalve Shite

1959 Humber Super Snipe - Gas guzzler

1962 Morris 1000 Traveller - English Tudorbethan

1975 Austin Allegro 1100 DL - m'Lod

Please look out for hedgehogs!

#46 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 13,177 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

A proper project, properly done.  Proper Job!

• alf892 likes this

GLWTS everyone!

Fashion Victim: 2018 Suzuki SX (new wheelchair bus)

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville - FOR SALE

Tripod: 2014 three-wheeled walker.  Temporary I hope!

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#47 OFFLINE   DSdriver

DSdriver

• Full Members
  • 3,807 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationLiving with a schizophrenic parrot

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Somehow I have not seen this thread before and my life was incomplete. I can now die a happy man

(not in the near future I hope)

• tooSavvy likes this
JohnF said:
"I have to say, I don't really like the styling of Citroens.

But I just love the fact that they exist."

#48 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Progress has been slow recently, but I'm on to interior furnishing now, so Im looking for a pair of extremely uncomfortable front seats to replace the originals. The bar is not set high, here's what came with the van.
IMG_20180306_101850.jpg
The frames are broken and make even a 2cv's 'deck chairs' look lavish. Just this bit of bent tube bolted to a tin box and some fabric hanging from it for the mice to nest in. To adjust you had to unbolt and move the frame forwards. This is poverty spec Luton style.
I'm after something like these:
austin-a30-van_32834.jpg
I've even made myself a bit of floor to bolt them to.
IMG_20180306_101944.jpg
Almost forgot sills are done, they're now holding the floor up. I used some galvanised box section as I don't want to be doing them again when I'm 120. Also patched up are the rear doors and front wings- what fun that was.

IMG_20180110_203330464.jpg
  • Angrydicky, Banger Kenny, alf892 and 22 others like this

#49 OFFLINE   lesapandre

lesapandre

• Full Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationParis Tokyo Deptford

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

A30-35 or Minor seats might work?

• DSdriver and Squire_Dawson like this

#50 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

A30-35 or Minor seats might work?

Certainly would, do you have any?

#51 OFFLINE   lesapandre

lesapandre

• Full Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationParis Tokyo Deptford

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

No but I will keep a eye out.

• cros likes this

#52 ONLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 994 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Incredible.......... works of art fella. I shudder at trying to create anything like that to put old tin back together.

Anything further on the running gear?

#53 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

Re-running gear, the Victor engine and 3 speed box will be going in. The engine needs nothing doing except I did intend to put hardened valve seats in. However I'm now having second thoughts on touching the head if the guides are OK which I think they are. I had 40000 miles out of a Mini van on unleaded but without hardened seats, and I wonder what others folks here think?
  • Jim Bell likes this

#54 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,422 posts
  • 96 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

If they're ok don't be tempted to recut and grind them in, it looses the lead and work hardening, I killed a pinto head in 6000 miles after doing that. You can fit a flashlube valve saver designed for lpg for about £20 - given the miles you will be doing a litre of fluid will last for ages.
  • cros likes this

#55 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

^^Excellent idea, you've just made up my mind. I might also do a decent number of miles in the van if it turns out any good. I've only driven one ancient Vauxhall before- it was a 10 or a 12 from the late 30's. I'm vague about it because I didn't have any interest in the things at the time and I was just shifting it for someone else. Though I still don't much like the look of them I was struck by how much lighter it was to drive than Austins and Morrises from that era and how much better the ride was. Flashlube it is, but not the electronic one!
  • Banger Kenny likes this

#56 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:29 PM

I learned from the excellent Vauxpedia site that there was a one off competition special based on a pre-war Bedford van Just thought I'd mention it, it's under Crosby Special.
http://vauxpedianet....by-special-1947
  • Lacquer Peel, Sigmund Fraud, Asimo and 1 other like this

#57 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

IMG_20180614_130046.jpg
It's bin a while, but things are creeping along with the van. It didn't help that when I drove to Surrey to fetch some parts I came home with a 205 instead because the parts didn't fit.
IMG_20180614_130102.jpg
The front wings have been patched, bare metalled and etch primed. Underneath are a couple of coats of RustBusters two pack paint. This is a local firm whose product comes in a couple of cans and has the consistency of putty. You mix equal parts, thin, and daub the snotty mix on and hope it never comes off. If difficulty of use is commensurate with longevity this is stuff is hot shit.
IMG_20180614_130134.jpg The wheels have been sprayed in green synthetic, a stock colour from TA paints so only 27quid for 5 litres. Quickest drying paint I've ever used which is handy if you spray outside like I try to.
I remember being pleased that the rear door skins were only rusty at the bottom, but they proved to be so battered everywhere else that they needed a bit of filler. They also needed a metal frame as I burned the wooden one.
I'll be glad when all this bodywork is done and I can get nice and oily again.

Attached Images

• IMG_20180614_130214.jpg
  • IMG_20180614_130247.jpg

• binhoker668, Banger Kenny, alf892 and 11 others like this

#58 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,775 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

I hadn't seen this thread before, it's vantastic.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#59 ONLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 11,559 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Those green wheels make me want some green wheels. Nice to see this thread updated!
  • binhoker668 and loserone like this

858735.png

#60 OFFLINE   cros

cros

Austin J3

• Full Members
  • 3,189 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

I would have preferred a darker green, but buying an off the shelf colour was loads cheaper and you can't actually see them when you're driving.
The wings will be black, so two tone like you get on Vauxhall Adams cos I don't want folks to think I'm out of touch.
  • alf892, mercrocker, Sigmund Fraud and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users