1985 Ford Granada mk2 estate. Sold and collected.

danthecapriman

Guest Breadvan72

Cheers Dan.  Yep, I blasted away from tailgaters when the road ahead was clear to do so.  You don't even need the kick down - just open the throttle and hurtle off.  

The car is great.  Skizzer's turn again soon.  JM is busy doing Irish P6 craziness.

Guest Breadvan72

They do 120 OMGMPH.

It may or may not be the case that I know this.  I may or may not be basing what I may or may not know upon experience.

PS:  Don't worry Dan and Skiz, I am not thrashing the poor old thing all the time.  It's mostly waft.  I won't say don't worry to Junkherr, because he never worries about Jack.

Guest Breadvan72

The alarm thing was not a low fuel beep, AFAIK.  It was a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and the fuel was not in the reserve zone on the gauge yet (computer claimed 40 miles to empty).  I think the computer was telling me off for driving like a nuttah.   Well, that's me telt.

The alarm thing was not a low fuel beep, AFAIK.  It was a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and the fuel was not in the reserve zone on the gauge yet (computer claimed 40 miles to empty).  I think the computer was telling me off for driving like a nuttah.   Well, that's me telt.

Yes, there is a speed limit function on it. You can set it to whatever speed and it makes an annoying noise when you exceed that speed.

My mate set it to something like 20mph when I first got the car and of course I had no idea how to turn it off and I don't 'do' 20mph so it was going off constantly!

Guest Breadvan72

Well, if it's imaginary matching luggage, tramp-chips interfacing may ensue.

(Stole tramp line off a roffle thread - think it's a Vulg or Cavcraft gag)

I had a moment like that with my mk1 that I brought back from Cyprus.  You may remember that early in 2013 I picked up a Nordic Green Peugeot 406.  Now I always considered the 406 to be one size down, a Cortina-class car if you like.  But I got to park them together, and was amazed...

post-4559-0-31314900-1490986480_thumb.jpg

Hardly any difference in size!

Modern cars, and yes, I include a 20-year-old Pug in that, are obese.  Worse, more and more they are shaped (can't use "styled" any more as there's no such thing) to look intimidating and aggressive.  Just like people really...

TL;DR all modernz iz shit.

As you were...

post-17414-0-02199200-1490987044_thumb.jpeg

post-17414-0-10255400-1490990251_thumb.jpeg

I parked next to an F10 5 series today and noticed it's not actually much if any longer or even wider, just somehow loads fatter.

I looked at a couple just before Christmas and there's definitely not any more room inside. I suppose I'm much fatter than I was when my e34 was new too.

It's been a while since I drove an SD1 but I'm sure there's more room than in a modern Range Rover, a car I drive regularly and find no roomier than a Freelander 2. Patrols are feckin ginormous though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly* I haven't got around to doing the pick-up conversion yet, but I did fix the sunroof handle using the spare one kindly provided:

post-4091-0-07769100-1491760255_thumb.jpg

Some friends are spending the hols in a cottage near Abergavenny so we took Keith the Dog up to meet them in the Brecon Beacons. Granny was ideal transport for this and continues to delight. Sorry no pics this time.

The only downside was the driving mirror got very melty while it was parked in the glorious sunshine (pic below taken later when sunshine was slightly less glorious):

post-4091-0-46186500-1491760730_thumb.jpg

Happily, there's a replacement in Dan's spares stash in the boot and the glue from Halfords I used on the Audi works well as long as you clean the surfaces properly, so that's an easy job for next weekend.

Great to see you guys still enjoying this!

The rear view mirror fitted to this car was always a bit shit. The flexi bit is too loose so the mirror used to gradually drop down, plus that sticky pad thing was a bit pants too.

The spare one I put in the boot is much better as the flexi bit is stiffer and less worn.

attachicon.gifIMG_7995.JPG

I remember the central orange warning light being on all the time my dad owned his Granada. The e28 5 Series had a 'check control' panel in the same place which lit up with red LEDs. It looked rather low-tech and cheap in comparison to the Ford's roof console to my eyes, but motoring journalists seemed to love it and think it was really clever, along with everything else on the car. I guess this was when the 'German is best' thing started - they seemed to overlook the fact the Granada was also a German car though.