More notshite antics.. 05 Astra Club 1.7 CDTI for sale :)

DaveDorson

I know, I know..

So anyway, we got this in near Christmas.Unfortunately

it had a duff alternator, dead battery and the turbo was getting noisy enough to worry us.

IMG_00231_zpsocpr33sb.jpg

IMG_0022_zpsbi3vgws3.jpg

IMG_0021_zpsd8jaxcqx.jpg

It'd been sat for a year with no MOT, taken in to investigate the noisy turbo fault and then left near a back street garage, while the owner decided for a year what to do.

Owner was traced, storage costs were paid and the car became part of the Dorson fleet.

Due to my Dad becoming ill over Christmas, we sourced a replacement turbo, alternator and put a used good battery on it, then sent it over to my mate Ross in Corby to button it all together and MOT it.

That was back in late Decemeber, it's outside my unit now while I decide what to do with it.

So.. anyone got any experience of these things?, after a service, it sounds really sweet, goes OK, seems a relatively nice place to be, but it ain't really me.

Are they easy enough to move on?, because we had a man do the work we're a bit invested in this and would like to see some return if we sell it, from what I can find in my area they tend to get advertised around the bag of sand mark, praps a bit more..

It's a 1.7 CDTI (red) so I think it's the peppier one of the 1.7 TD's :)

Best engine to have in one, they're boring but pretty dependable

Your old one still kicks around East Kilbride bud. The guy who has it has passed me a couple of times, I'm assuming it's still the same owner who bought it from Parks or at least it's not changed hands through a dealer since because it still sports a full set of Parks plates and rear window sticker.

Ps Red TI on the CDTI badge does indeed mean the 100bhp one, all silver CDTI badges mean 80bhp. The later ones did come with a 125bhp 1.7 CDTI and I think 6 speed, Kiltox will probably well remember the guy who had a leased on on Astra Owners Network who had an issue where he put the car in what he thought was 1st gear and it kept selecting reverse instead, ended up getting the car taken back by Vauxhall or the lease company and replaced.

SE05 makes it Glasgow registered, any idea who supplied it new and how it ended up down South?

No idea.

It's a club, and according my my insurance company when I run the plate, it's the 80bhp one.

Ah well.

The previous owner to us was a relatively well to do sort who had horses, I dare say it traveled down via one of them car supermarket type affairs, and them being a horsey type would have always got stuff done, but always looking to get the cheapest deal possible.. because they're like that, in my experience.

They do seem to vary wildly in value, mileage looks pretty good so I'd try it at about £1,350 and see what response/offers you get.

*Edit: my much loved old Vectra was SE04HZV

As he said it's the best engine. The 1.4 is shit slow and the 1.8 petrol just gives me a fucking headache.

What's up with the 1.8 petrol? I had one with that engine on an 05 in 2010 in Design spec and loved it, enough oomph, no diesel issues, not too dear to run and didn't suffer anywhere near as badly as 1.6 petrol for burning oil, fucked valve stem seals, worn piston rings etc.

The autos are wank. The transmission and water share the same radiator and a bung between them lets go and fucks shit up.

Thats worth knowing. I've been eyeing up 2009/10 model H's recently and there are a fair few autos around. Fair few broken ones too...

Dear god the 1.8 Autos are horrific, they rev much higher than the 1.8 manuals at the same speed which makes fuel economy horrific, the "Sport" button works different from on the manuals, like it just makes the car stay in a lower auto gear at the same speed so it revs its nuts off even more but doesn't respond any quicker. They are really laggy as well, put your foot down and it's like a turbo car where it takes a few seconds before it picks up, seems to continually change up and down gear at the wrong times and is almost always in the wrong gear as well.

Avoid the Easytronics as well as these are even worse, have absolutely no torque to pull out of junctions into gaps you'd easily manage in a manual, means you need to carefully plan everything and wait for long gaps in traffic etc. The 1.8 is probably the best engine for them, no turbos or Diesel engine stuff to fail, they don't suffer ANY of the 1.9 issues, they don't have the chocolate M32 gearbox like the 2.0 Turbo petrols and aren't underpowered like the 1.4/1.6 petrol and 1.3 diesel.

Club spec isn't bad, I think early Life models got electric mirrors and steering wheel controls which the later ones didn't. The Club gets you alloys, leather steering wheel, full colour coding, and the leccy mirrors and steering wheel buttons, possibly also side and curtain airbags. And a folding/flippy key fob. Mines was a Design and was very well equipped, even comparable with 2014 SE spec Astra Js, but if I had another it would be the Elite with some factory options like AFL Xenons, and then spec it up with retrofits like Bluetooth, Colour Screen, DAB and a stereo from a late Zafira B with the CD40USB stereo because otherwise it's fully loaded with heated leather, electric folding mirrors, cruise, digital climate control, auto lights, etc

The 1.8 VVTi Astra in my life belongs to MotherYoof, and it's a '58 plate in Elite spec with about 24k on the clock. Leather benches (hah!), heated seats, auto-wipers and auto-lights etc. It was bought 15 months old for about £8k. MotherYoof only drives it to the shops/hospital etc and back so it does barely anything between MOTs.

I think it makes a great noise and I've often wondered about how peppy it would be with a manual 'box. They were putting five speed autos in the Signum 3.0CDTi so I'm surprised they didn't have a more versatile auto for the newer Astras. I've managed to squeeze 40mpg out of it on a long run but it's generally as bad as my S60...which is turbo-charged.

I really like it, autobox and all. It's marvellous at getting out of junctions and onto roundabouts. I must persuade them to have the cambelt changed next time its serviced though.

Also, how do you avoid the Cavcraft-mentioned autobox demise?

The 5 door ones of these don't float my boat, but the 3 door versions are as fit as you like.

Panoramic roof for extra shite points? And deleting the sight and light pack (auto lights, rain sense wipers, auto dim rear view mirror) off the Design spec and resembling a bald mans head.

SRi XPs do still look good even now, better than the GTC Astra J 3 door effort.

Dear god the 1.8 Autos are horrific, they rev much higher than the 1.8 manuals at the same speed which makes fuel economy horrific, the "Sport" button works different from on the manuals, like it just makes the car stay in a lower auto gear at the same speed so it revs its nuts off even more but doesn't respond any quicker. They are really laggy as well, put your foot down and it's like a turbo car where it takes a few seconds before it picks up, seems to continually change up and down gear at the wrong times and is almost always in the wrong gear as well.

Avoid the Easytronics as well as these are even worse, have absolutely no torque to pull out of junctions into gaps you'd easily manage in a manual, means you need to carefully plan everything and wait for long gaps in traffic etc. The 1.8 is probably the best engine for them, no turbos or Diesel engine stuff to fail, they don't suffer ANY of the 1.9 issues, they don't have the chocolate M32 gearbox like the 2.0 Turbo petrols and aren't underpowered like the 1.4/1.6 petrol and 1.3 diesel.

Club spec isn't bad, I think early Life models got electric mirrors and steering wheel controls which the later ones didn't. The Club gets you alloys, leather steering wheel, full colour coding, and the leccy mirrors and steering wheel buttons, possibly also side and curtain airbags. And a folding/flippy key fob. Mines was a Design and was very well equipped, even comparable with 2014 SE spec Astra Js, but if I had another it would be the Elite with some factory options like AFL Xenons, and then spec it up with retrofits like Bluetooth, Colour Screen, DAB and a stereo from a late Zafira B with the CD40USB stereo because otherwise it's fully loaded with heated leather, electric folding mirrors, cruise, digital climate control, auto lights, etc

The manual for our Zafira goes on about the sport mode changing the easytronic settings, as it does the steering and engine. It all sounded awful, especially coupled to a heavy arse of a Zafira. It sounds expensive to fix too, although sic or scary could probably fix it in an hour or so...

The 5 door ones of these don't float my boat, but the 3 door versions are as fit as you like.

This looks a clean car, 1.6 Turbo, pricey though, £1500 less buys a newer 5 door Elite from a main Vauxhall dealer or a bag of sand less gets a 1.6 n/a Design that's 2.5 years newer on a 10plate:

http://www.scottbailliecarsglasgow.co.uk/used-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-Glasgow-Scotland-1086572

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/vauxhall/astra/1-8i-vvt-elite-5dr/2008/ref/arnag-u-24158

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/vauxhall/astra/1-6i-16v-design-115-3dr/2010/ref/arnbz-u-21531

The same money also buys you a year older monstrosity of a barried VXR:

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/vauxhall/astra/2-0t-16v-vxr-3dr/2006/ref/arnay-u-98058

All this looking up Astra Hs is making me want another tbh.

How long before you have a post up about acquiring a sport hatch with the contents of a field inside it, a space saver on one corner and an oil leak for £47 and a half eaten snickers?

The manual for our Zafira goes on about the sport mode changing the easytronic settings, as it does the steering and engine. It all sounded awful, especially coupled to a heavy arse of a Zafira. It sounds expensive to fix too, although sic or scary could probably fix it in an hour or so...

I doubt it has that much of an effect, you can actually very easily retrofit the Sport button and get it working on most Astras, I was halfway through doing it on mine, you simply change the button panel for 1 with a sport button on it rather than a blank, fit clocks from a car which supports them (my Design clocks didn't but SRi, VXR etc do) and I don't even think it needs to be tech 2d, it just works. All it supposedly does is makes the steering heavier and means you don't have to put the accelerator pedal to the floor to get it to pick up speed, you just press the accelerator down not quite as much, supposed to increase throttle response, i believe the BIG change is on cars fitted with IDS+ (Interactive driving system) and CDC (continuous damping control) suspension which very few have as it was a very expensive optional extra, where it does something with the dampers to make it handle better.