Breakdown/recovery service recommendations

timolloyd

I've been avoiding an annual subscription to any of these for a few years now. Most of my cars have been of the set-fire-to-it-and-walk-away variety, should they FTP.

However, a baby is on the way, a tidy but unknown quantity XC90 is on the drive...and of course more chod will be incoming.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for annual breakdown and recovery membership. Needs to cover the driver not the car (as in, whatever the driver is using at the time) and obviously cover any age of vehicle. Last time I did this there were all sorts of silly stipulations about the vehicle being less than 10 years old.

Which is stupid because all moderns etc....

All advice gratefully received.

The RAC have looked after me and mine pretty well for the last 30 odd years. The latest was yesterday, with, as usual , the newest car I own. They were there in 25 minutes , friendly bloke admitted he probably wouldn't be able to do much more than get me recovered. But was happy to talk to the Merc place I use and read them the codes and they pointed him to the collapsed pipe on the intercooler. Got me mobile within in 15 mins.

The guys seem happy to get to work on something older, one of my daughters had a balljoint collapse on an MX5 a couple of years ago at uni and the bloke didn't just recover it , he got another patrol to pick a pair up and changed both sides.

The only issues I've ever had are when the RAC sub out recoveries, 4 hours waiting in Knightsbridge last year ( again with a modern) for a contractor to find a vehicle big enough to take me home. Comes to mind.

Needless to say I get much more than my monies worth for the top family cover each year, it helps that we pay for it with Tesco Points.

Personally I swap between RAC and AA playing one off against the other, this year it was £71 for both of us for everything except the home start as I live on a hill and can roll it to the outside of the half a mile limit :ph34r:

Now I'm going to sound dumb but...I didn't realise you could haggle based on who's offered what price. Good to know.

Have used the AA a few times and always been impressed with the service. Once had to buy a battery on the spot and the price was surprisingly reasonable.

We pay them as part of a package current account with the TSB bank. With the extra mobile phone cover and IIRC travel insurance it's excellent value for money.

Another vote for the AA here, had one bad experience which is documented in the dusty archives of this parish, but on the whole they've always been superb

Rescued me a couple of weeks ago with a traffic-side flat tyre on the motorway, from calling them to being on my way was less than an hour

9/10 would break down with again

I've been impressed with Green Flag. Used them when Mason FTPed, came out in twenty minutes in horrific weather.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've looked in to Green Flag, but they're pretty vague on their website about cover for any car. I'm directed toward Personal Cover, but they want the reg numbers of the cars we currently have (which doesn't inspire confidence that they'd come out for any other vehicle) and there's a sneaky line about covering vehicles less than 16 years old.

You have to give the AA a reg plate even tho it's personal cover, think the policy has to be registered against a car or something. They've never queried coming out to other cars though, including a 23 year old Granada that broke down with a caravan

Naturally I gave them the reg plate of the newest car for the quote in the hope of a more favourable premium, think it was £100 for the year with everything bar home start, you can add other people to it for about a tenner too if they live at the same address.

I've looked in to Green Flag, but they're pretty vague on their website about cover for any car. I'm directed toward Personal Cover, but they want the reg numbers of the cars we currently have (which doesn't inspire confidence that they'd come out for any other vehicle) and there's a sneaky line about covering vehicles less than 16 years old.

Yes, well, Mason was retrieved under personal cover but I later found out they didn't have any obligation to help as he was over their age limit for personally covered vehicles. So they went above and beyond to help a muppet who hadn't declared that he'd changed vehicle from a Saab 9-3 to an LS400, and then weren't even obliged to help me once I'd sorted it out when calling them for help.

So while I can see how this might be viewed as sneaky, I am pleased that they decided to overlook this and help me anyway.

Mainly because I'd never heard of autoaid before today. But I might give them a look when the AA cover is up

I broke down a week after taking out cover and had to be recovered about 100 miles. I had to pay and then claimed it back which didn't take long. I'm not sure if they've changed this requirement now though as can't see it mentioned on their wedsite. They also cover your wife for free and include home breakdowns.

I am with the RAC using tesco points.

Personal cover for me and Marianne and they have never let me down when needed.

Best one was when I was having trouble with the Minor and it failed to start when trying to get home, the guy came out and went through everything it could be and fitted the parts I had in the car. He said it was a nice change to come to something he could sort without a computer.

I broke down a week after taking out cover and had to be recovered about 100 miles. I had to pay and then claimed it back which didn't take long. I'm not sure if they've changed this requirement now though as can't see it mentioned on their wedsite. They also cover your wife for free and include home breakdowns.

Yes, that changed early last year. No need to pay and reclaim now.

Both my girlfriend and I are with Autoaid. Very reasonable for what seems to be a decent coverage. Mr Fred, you're quite correct, they've changed their policy and you don't have to pay up front any more.

Autoaid here too.

Don't know if it applies to you but they cover me and my wife on any car for the £43 per year. Don't know if you have to be married or live together or what.

I've never used them but I like the fact its national recovery with no mileage limit, if one of my heaps expires I want it dragging home not to the nearest kwikfit.

Thanks very much for all the recommendations.

I've gone with Autoaid. £42.50 for my wife and I, any car (apart from LHD or campervan over 2500cc), with a 13% discount via Quidco. No Europe or home start, but that doesn't bother me too much.

The whole 'you and your wife' thing seems a bit UKIP-y, but guess that's like insurance policies.

I've been with RAC and AA and RAC is 99% bettererer for recoverys

AA relay you between different patches, so broke down in Devon, got dumped at Bristol,waited 75 minutes in Bristol,got dumped at Reading and then waited for another driver for an hour and then his hours were up 45 mins from home so we had to stop for his driver break

Aa cocked me about so went with rac. They then ripped front bumper off audi, no apologies, left me stranded with my lad at night with the kia , no apologies. I told them to cancel policy, they said yes but carried on taking money. I played merry hell and still no apology for anything. I do need breakdown though and overall the rac were better than the yellow fellas