Generator for power tools - can you sell me one? - what advice

Six-cylinder

I had a very nice 2.2KW Honda petrol engine generator. Unfortunately I lent it to somebody and can’t remember who and have now given up any hope of getting it back.

I need a generator to run power tools in my field, but not very often so I want to keep the capital cost low. What do I need and where should I get it?

I've had one of the cheap Chinese 800 watt two stroke ones which has worked for the last 13 years. They're by no means wonderful but with a NGK plug and draining the carb if not used for a while it's been better than I expected for £55 new off Grantham market.

£55 quid? for a generator? and it lasted 13 years. Amazing.

£55 quid? for a generator? and it lasted 13 years. Amazing.

Its not been running all that time non stop! It gets used about 8 times a year; we get quite a few power cuts so its then its running several hours. I've used it on an angle grinder (1000watt 9") and it hasnt killed it. 2 strokes are a bit of a pain because of needing pre-mix. I've seen these very cheap at boot sales-   be wary that they've run without oil. I think they were a Yamaha design originally.

Just went out to try it and it started OK, smokes a bit at first then clears. Halogen is 500w.

post-7547-0-08488700-1487939089_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-95039300-1487939099_thumb.jpg

2016-03-23%2015.13.18_zpsqqzjvgyj.jpg

I found this next to the recycling bins around the back of the local Spar back in the summer and wasn't sure if it was dumped or been stolen and now abandoned so i slid it in to the side door of the van and bought it home (as you do).

It was still fueled up and under the dirt looked nearly new or had had little use.

It has a chinesse copy of a OHV Honda engine and it produced a meaty spark at the plug but alas it had no compression so i guess i was just dumped after all.

2016-03-23%2014.28.50_zpsq4jriicf.jpg

The valves were opening and shutting ok and had a couple of thou free play at the rocker arms so i pulled the head off and filled the barrel and up turned head with a splash of petrol to see if there was and leaks.

I couldn't find any leaks so was a bit confused (not difficault these days) i checked a bit closer (put glasses on) and saw a small mark on the piston top made by the exhaust valve.

On removing the valve it became obvious that the valve stem and valve guide were a bit too close in tolerance and so sticking slightly causing the valve to over power its spring and letting the compression leak away.

2016-03-23%2015.29.15_zpsorek0m3k.jpg

I mounted the tight valve in to a drill and gave it a good buff up with some emery cloth and put it all back together (head gasket was good to go again) and off it went after a couple of pulls.

Its rated at 700w but it struggles with a small drill or grinder on it.

What i have thought about is getting something like an old Petter stationary engine / generator mounted on a trolley for any off grid / end of the world activities.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petter-ab1-generator-/262842450066?hash=item3d32a18092:g:h1UAAOSwA3dYcqNL

You can have my  KIPOR IG2000 for £50 + random delivery cost.         HOWEVER    I have to find it first as someone may have taken it and last time I tried it didn't start (it's a true sine generator which we ran computers etc from) so in a panic we just bought a new one and never tried to find why it didn't start.     It has compression etc. 

If you don't have to lump it about on a regular basis the old Briggs and Stratton powered gennys in a tubular metal frame are good value, are your tools 110v or 240v as quite a few of the old ones had a 110 outlet as well. I think they used to do 3.3 and 5 kW versions. They aren't particularly quiet or good on fuel though

Don't believe a word of those figures, they're typical Chinese superlatives!

My Chinese special (same as above) is rated 2500w cont and 4000w max. It struggles to start my "2200w" compressor but goes after a few lubricating turns.

Otherwise, all my other tools and space heater run fine off it.

For £170 you can't really complain but just remember the guarantee will be less than worthless via eBay.

Aldi and Lidl do a similar one often, at least it comes with a guarantee!

Again it pushes the budget that started at £100 for a second-hand one.

Also I fell out with Amazon about the way they tricked me into taking "Prime" and now I prefer not to deal with them.