Serious (no, really!) group purchase suggestion: Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, or summat else

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

What you want is one of these. Unloved even by AS standards, technologically interesting, quick, comfortable and good looking and, to those in the know, generally considered to be head and shoulders above a Jag or similar in handling and performance. This was probably the best one in the world and it strugged to £7k. You might be waiting a while, but it'll be worth it...

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=729

Forgot to say at the time that that car is super spaffworthy.  LOVE.

Guest Breadvan72

Nearly bought one of those six or seven years ago - it was £7000 then! That sold to bill McGrath I think.

A friend who claims to know of these cars (the 90s Maserati GT)  tells me that they are mega dire money pits, but he may just be saying that because pub.

PS:  aren't all cars mega dire money pits?  Isn't that what they are for? 

Guest Breadvan72

An Armstrong-Siddeley Star Sapphire.  Wow.  That's just about the Holy Grail of classic cars.

I don't think it's even theoetically possible to top that.

Haggle the BIN price down, and use the money chiselled off the price to put towards a paint job, if people really hate the current scheme.  Certainly could be made to look less wedding.

Sapphires should be sapphire coloured, perhaps.

When atoning for various sins last year, I found at a country auction a lovely sapphire with star diamonds ring for my wife, and it's from the 50s.  Good omen, I think

Used to be one of those 234/236 A-S's in Teddy Heslop's scrapyard in Northumberland when I was in my teens. I used to just go and look at it!!!! I think I rang up the A-S club once to tell them about it, and the lad knew about it already, and was well unhappy that it had lost its wire wheels to a flippin 'common as muck' mk2 Jag.

A friend who claims to know of these cars tells me that they are mega dire money pits, but he may just be saying that because pub.

PS:  aren't all cars mega dire money pits?  Isn't that what they are for? 

My uncle has one. As far as I'm aware, it's not that expensive. I guess finding certain spares would be my main concern.

Although having expressed an interest in this plan a few pages earlier, a fucking huge bodyshop bill on 'the bay of lasting joy'

forces me to retract even that for the next few months. Sadly, although I think it's a brill idea, it's no longer the right time for me.

Guest Breadvan72

Well, if this gig ever happens, there may come a time when shares become available for sale because someone wants oot, or the group expands, contracts, whatevs, so keep in touch. Hope you get whatever it it that needs sorting sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that blue one still for sale? I've lost track of which is which.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/armstrong-siddeley/limousine/171724

Pros; hard to tell as advert has no photos and no information other than slushmaticness and £13,000 of spendyness.

Cons; it's in cloggyland(although that would make for leg-endery kolekshun).

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/armstrong-siddeley/sapphire/160731

Pros; it looks pretty spiffy in the pictures and it has a tool kit! Less spendy.

Cons; In Northhampton so kolekshuning not very leg-endery.

Guest Breadvan72

The blue one sold ages ago.  No one here (except me and LBC) wants to buy any car that is in wedding colours, because apparently paintshops do not exist on Planet AS.

Owing to a sudden and uncharacteristic outbreak of common sense, I'm going to declare myself out of the 1950s buying club. I have way too many cars already. Sorry.

On the positive side, that's one vote fewer against a car in wedding livery.