Serious (no, really!) group purchase suggestion: Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, or summat else

Guest Breadvan72

If we end up with a manual one, we would have to budget for Jeeves to operate the gears.

The manual gerboxes are actually quite good, believe it, or not. Synchromesh and all that sort of newfangled rot,

so single declutching, etc, etc. They also come with the only acceptable gear selector configuration.

Betterer still is auto, of course, thanks to heaps of OMGUSABLTORK unleashed onto a BW.

Avoid the preselectors. Although the most bonkers and hence desirable of the bunch, they are a pita to fix.

Guest Breadvan72

If the car has sold and we cannot trace it or another much like it, my apologies for starting a hare running, but we could maintain the concept and find a suitable car to build a group around.

Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: OLA469

• Vehicle make ARMSTRONG SIDDELEY
  • Date first used 28 November 1953
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Blue

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 21 October 2011
  • Expiry date 20 October 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 68,030 miles
  • MOT test number 7299 4429 1238

The ad says last MOTed 2010, so it may well have moved on.

Ben

MoT? It doesn't need a stinking MoT!

It's a great idea, a great idea that I'd happily participate in watching others take part.

That's fair enough, it's got to the point where pretty much everything in my life seems ultimately either to be for the faint amusement of people on here, or to keep the dog happy.

Guest Breadvan72

MoT? It doesn't need a stinking MoT!

True, but people sometimes get them anyway just to check some basic stuff.   Also, I can't recall when the MoT exemption came in - it wasn't all that long ago, I think, but may be mistaken.  

Guest Breadvan72

The Whitely is not such a looker.  The grille and the lights aren't so pretty.  I could live with the colours of the 9K Sapphire,although blue is moar bettererer.  The blue one might need, or have needed when sold for 5k (it it has indeed sold) a good few K spending on it, so 9K ONO is maybe not out of the question if the car is ready to go, albeit a bit top endy for my idea of the project.

Guest Breadvan72

Just for comparison, to show what bargs the AS cars (see what I did there?) might be (relatively speaking), here is an OK looking but internally slightly worn 50s Bentley, bids starting at over 15K.  Much better than that white one above, but still a lot more than a Sapphire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950-BENTLEY-MKVI-Sports-Saloon-/391707810134?hash=item5b339ad956:g:uBkAAOSw4CFYp4dO

Guest Breadvan72

I think the advert is an old one, having done a bit of Google it is showing on Newsnow as a listing dating from September last year.

Arses, a ship that may have sailed.    Maybe someone got a barg/ World of unrelenting terribleness.  We could try to track it down and offer a few notes.

True, but people sometimes get them anyway

People do all kinds of deranged shit. I don't.

BTT, I guess all you have to do is remain patient. The right car will come along. Cars should find you, not you them.

And if my seriously non authoritative opinion doesn't merely pass by your arses at a considerable distance,

you also may want to look into VDP 4 Litre Rs and Woltzy 6/110s. They give at least me a horn, so why not you.

Guest Breadvan72

That's a wobfest.

Ben

World of Win.

While we are waiting for something gracious, fifties, non knackered and affordable to turn up, there's always that JRG Ambassador on the other thread. [honourably goes outside with revolver and single bullet]

Guest Breadvan72

The bloke who bought my Rover 75 from me turned up to collect it in one of these.

Apparently he had a number of them. Clearly a man of exquisite taste. He was buying a BRG 75 connoisseur, after all.

Ask him if he wants to sell one.  An AS, not a 75.