"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

I know this is a shocking admision but I have never had a really high mileage car... that I know about at any rate. About 150k is it as far as cars go. But, clocking was always so prevalant and easy, I should tink rather a lot of cars have had more than they are telling. I once knocked back a really nice 635 BMW 'cos the mileage was on 280 odd thousand and I freaked beause I am a serious poof.

• Vehicle makeBMW
  • Vehicle model730
  • Date first used31 December 1989
  • Fuel typePetrol
  • ColourBlue

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date30 August 2016
  • Expiry date29 August 2017
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading313,751 miles
  • MOT test number8315 8610 1100

Long way to go to beat Irv and his 1800s:

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/hmc/index.php

I have seen him on the telly a couple of times, he did crazy mileage from the day he bought the car new, he did nearly 1000 miles in the first day! Possible due to cheap 'gas' I suppose.

Never says how many engine rebuilds it's had !

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

I think cars should have an engine time logger as well as an odometer, there are times at work I sit stopped with the car idling for almost as long as I spend actually driving.

Apparently ex-police cars are bad for that, they have ok mileage for a given age but have spent their entire working life idling to keep electronics alive and occupants warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think cars should have an engine time logger as well as an odometer, there are times at work I sit stopped with the car idling for almost as long as I spend actually driving.

Apparently ex-police cars are bad for that, they have ok mileage for a given age but have spent their entire working life idling to keep electronics alive and occupants warm.

As I am sure you know, this is common in the marine and aviation world. I wonder if such info is stored in the ecu of modern cars?

Not autoshite. And I have only done a few thousand of them miles and it's a company motor. Bit of a cop out really.

e2849b4664ed6b0bb60104ace602e658.jpg

358k at 27mpg, hope the company's also paying for the fuel!  Any sign of the infamous snapped crankshaft yet?

As I am sure you know, this is common in the marine and aviation world. I wonder if such info is stored in the ecu of modern cars?

I realised how common it was when most of the diesel tachs I could find included an engine time logger too. I also quickly realised I don't really need one in the 205 if it'll be that much effort to fit one.

I'd like to see something like what is usually called a Hobbs meter in aircraft (which usually works off the engine oil pressure) in cars, it'd be a useful for assessing condition in relation to actual milage covered. Would have thought it'd be a pretty easy thing to do as part of the ECU firmware as oil pressure readings will be fed to it so can be logged. 

No pics so can't prove it but my old Pug 205 1.8 diesel (N/A) had 316000 on it when I sold it on. 

Apparently ex-police cars are bad for that, they have ok mileage for a given age but have spent their entire working life idling to keep electronics alive and doughnuts warm.

The 944S has covered in excess of 300,000 miles, the odometer doesn't confirm that, because the original was replaced with one showing about 80,000 less. The fair wife is out in it at the mo. We've had it since just under 50,000 miles and apart from breaking a ring and requiring a very expensive engine rebuild last year, it's been astonishing for a high revving 16 valve, two & a half litre petrol engine.

I'm feeling somewhat pathetic here - mine are on just 150k and 130k.

I am even worse, ours are 105,000 and 720! Even my oldies are 68,000 on the Dolomite, 70,000 on the Capri, no idea on one project but it's been off the road for thirty years so doubt it's much, and 50,000 on the other. I would need to add them all together to get a decent score.