The Home Made Car

holbeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQ65uNWbvk

Anyone remember this? I just found it by accident on youtube.

I was a toddler at the dawn of the 70's and this film was shown a fair bit as a 'trade test tranmission' before BBC2 started programmes for the day.

Come to think of it, it's probably why I'm a shitter.

Worth a watch, for the chod and 1960's scrapyard scenes, if nothing else.

That's a brilliant one; I'd watch things like that on YouTube all day

These are great too; a whole series of them on there

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VhSXNr4_hUA

I work in an office on my own and usually have the TV on as a background buzz, sometimes whole programs pass without gaining my attention once. This type of film requires my full attention rendering me unable to work.

Stop this now!

I was a toddler at the dawn of the 70's and this film was shown a fair bit as a 'trade test tranmission' before BBC2 started programmes for the day.

That was a great watch, a lovely gently film.

I don't remember seeing The Home Made Car before, although I was only 4 when they apparently stopped showing it in 1972. A very enjoyable short film from a totally different time, thanks for post. No popping sneezy banging Subarus disrupting peace and quiet in 1963. Cue the Lotus Cortina in 64.

The 1960s Look At Life vids are brilliant, like Ladybird books brought to life. It's a pity they didn't continue the motoring ones through the late 60s and into the 70s.

Link to an interesting later period BL vid, guess filmed maybe around late 1975 in prep for the summer 1976 SD1 3500 launch, it's "British Leyland, Design With Style - The Rover SD1".

Check out the fabtastic computer technology (and the size of it) and turn the choonz up loud.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTdMYGzqu8

Utterly fantastic.... but he should have taken the little girl out in it first!  Always knew he was going to get the (bigger) girl and well deserved, that bloody cad in his Austin-Healey sportscar, tearing up the roads!

Thank you for sharing, made my day.

The Home Made Car was mostly filmed in Farnborough, about half an hour's drive from where I am now - I saw some 'then-and-now' shots of some of the locations done by a dedicated fan a few years back.

Star Ronald Chudley now lives in Canada, and writes thriller novels - the actual car's still knocking about too, I think,

The Home Made Car was mostly filmed in Farnborough, about half an hour's drive from where I am now - I saw some 'then-and-now' shots of some of the locations done by a dedicated fan a few years back.

Star Ronald Chudley now lives in Canada, and writes thriller novels - the actual car's still knocking about too, I think,

Hi, Yes the car is taxed until Sept '17, the Healey and the Rolls Royce are 'no details'.

The name on the garage, PO and store is Bucks Horn Oak, halfway between Bordon and Farnham.

Colin

I just did a little bit of general Wiki digging as regards The Home Made Car.

Fascinating Autoshite trivia, the Austin Healey driver in this short 1963 English film was an American actor called Anthony James who also later acted the part of "first male hitch-hiker, just married" in the 1971 version of Vanishing Point.

Yes, him.

^^ Was he one of the two queens Kowalski picked up in the desert after their car had died?

'Look at Life' DVD's are terrific, they sell them in genre terms which is a great idea, one for sport, one for general 'Life' etc., the one I have is the transport one (DVD No.1 in the series I think) and it's a joy to watch, everyone on here would enjoy most or all of it. 

The Healey sounds brilliant when floored and love the way the dog looks permanently bored/unimpressed. 

^^ Was he one of the two queens Kowalski picked up in the desert after their car had died?

'Look at Life' DVD's are terrific, they sell them in genre terms which is a great idea, one for sport, one for general 'Life' etc., the one I have is the transport one (DVD No.1 in the series I think) and it's a joy to watch, everyone on here would enjoy most or all of it.

1. Yes, probably not the fat one.

2. I agree, the Look At Life motoring 60s stuff is essential viewing for a bit of period perspective. As I posted above, if only they'd carried the motoring series into maybe the mid 70s and even stopped there.

That SD1 film was great - really interesting that they did the clay styling model, then used a clever robot sensor to feed the dimensions into the computer - presumably because the computing power to design the thing on screen didn't exist.  My early encounters with computers at University involved punch cards - I don't miss them (or University).  I notice the CNC machine was a Cincinnati - we were importing tech from the US then.  

Im calling BS on that - he has clearly made this film on an old Cine camera to show the police and the DVLC that he hasnt really nicked and now rung a Bullnose, no indeedy officer - I made this all myself spray painting it with an old Hoover....

Im calling BS on that - he has clearly made this film on an old Cine camera to show the police and the DVLC that he hasnt really nicked and now rung a Bullnose, no indeedy officer - I made this all myself spray painting it with an old Hoover....

That old ebay-chassis-tags and fake history retro-film dodge, pah, he's been found out now!!! Dick Barton and the Famous Five and Doctor Who and all that. Well spotted.

He's a Bullnose ringer.

I have started watching a channel called 'Talking Pictures' as it is all old movies, mostly from the 40's, 50's and 60's and they are really good. Also, astonishing as the levels of traffic is so light and some of the cars, just wonderful.

As an added bonus, they all have actual stories! Not dependant on special effects or flash soundtracks or camera work.

I love this. I remember someone linking it on the blue.

He got the car and the girl.