"WTF did I buy that for" Vol. 875 - Mazda 323 1.5

Mr_Bo11ox

Well I had a fiddle with this tonight and found a drop link that wasnt tightened up properly. Nipped it up and silence was restored. Drives lovely now apart from slightly noisy brakes which I'm sure will pipe down with a bit of use. Anyone fancy this? Full ticket, new cambelt, its good to go. 78k, cheap tax, only faults are parcel shelf missing and stereo faceplate missing (so no choonz). I'm going to try hawking it round the internet for 600 quid but would take a chunk off for a shiter.

I must point out this has been MOT advised'for 'widespread corrosion underneath' several years on the trot prior to me getting it, but after washing 250kg of mud out the wheelarches it doesnt look particularly chronic to me, just like any old jap car of this sort of age really. Only ever had 2 little bits of welding on the outer sills (one of which has just been done by me) so its hardly a disaster area.

JlwWX4f.jpg

OWxT8QO.jpg

X2o3Cwi.jpg

Q39Qi7S.jpg

MVtbxUT.jpg

mi5YEaq.jpg

zSkkfSg.jpg

G6iW2k3.jpg

k7TsKQC.jpg

y7CwBiN.jpg

This is the only real rust to speak of on the bodywork, theres some bits of surface rust underneath but nowt particularly alarming.

Hs4tXOR.jpg

0uGUuvl.jpg

Thats some 'Daily Express' style sensationalist language the tester has used to describe the underpan of the Mazda, almost like the oldest car he has ever inspected is 3 years old. I suppose it will filter out the types of timewaster who are expecting a 20 year old car to look brand new, mind.

Just took it to the MOT shop that's 1/2 a mile from my house, he charged £40 and passed it, can't ask for any more than that!!! He's getting all my MOT's from now on!

That's fair enough. I tend to take mine to the guy in clay cross. I know him from my motorbike days. I find it tricky to trust places though and rather go where I know. I've a trustworthy mobile mechanic and Dave aspley off here also gets my cambelt jobs!

There's one of those proper weird 3-dr ones (that looks a bit like a Citroen C4 from the back) for sale on FB at the moment, it's an auto but still looks well good for 495 shekels

No use just telling us about it Boll, GIB!

Well I have got this on FB, gumtree, the blue forum, car and classic and Autotrader for £500 or so for the last week and would you believe I have not had a single enquiry of any sort, not even a '£100 2nite' armchair dealer-type. I guess its perhaps too old to appeal to someone who just wants cheap wheels but not old enough to get anyones 'retro jap' juices flowing. I will keep nudging the price down and see how we get on but it doesnt look like this is going anywhere fast!!!

Well I have got this on FB, gumtree, the blue forum, car and classic and Autotrader for £500 or so for the last week and would you believe I have not had a single enquiry of any sort, not even a '£100 2nite' armchair dealer-type. I guess its perhaps too old to appeal to someone who just wants cheap wheels but not old enough to get anyones 'retro jap' juices flowing. I will keep nudging the price down and see how we get on but it doesnt look like this is going anywhere fast!!!

I've started to wonder what people want for £500. I've sold cars in the past at that money and its been a pain to be honest (not through here mind) with people quibbling over whether the air con works or does it have history etc. It is what it is.

I know it may sound weird, but have you tried asking for more - say £1000? People can be very suspicious of cheap cars. I've seen car dealers often shift prices up and down until it sells.

No can do chaps, I am on a MEGA STRICT car buying hiatus, I need to get rid of a load of stuff so that I can justify buying an old horse box!!!

Do you still have the "barn of dreams"? What criteria do you use for stashing cars away? I'd have thought a nice example like this might be worth a little bit in years to come - small, hatchback, red, looks a bit sporty?