"WTF did I buy that for" Vol. 875 - Mazda 323 1.5

Mr_Bo11ox

More than reasonably rare I'd say. Only photo I appear to have taken of one was in Germany.

Looks like a good buy - I'd rather have one of these than an Almera or Corolla of the same age.

Engine doesn't look dissimilar to the 140bhp 1.8 that was in our previous-gen 323F GT. That would make for an amusing transplant.

Nice, would love to polish that. Wheels off and arches cleaned are we on detailing world  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Ha!!!! I know. Hopefully I'm not turning into detailing world. The Maz must have lived down a farm track or something though as the mud was proper caked on so I just thought I'd better wash it out so I could have a proper look for rot. I am gonna go to town on the paintwork with the polishing mop though!!!

The interior is pretty grubby too, Will have to see about that as our hoover is bloody shite, and if you can't even hoover it out you're not gonna get very far with an interior valet are you.

Top purchase! Mechanically identical to the 5 door 323f of the same vintage. Engine is closely related to the Mx5 and is also non interference so you can safely play cambelt roulette.

Originally for the 3 door Mazda imported this version...post-20412-0-71385300-1487686471_thumb.jpg

After about 3 years and selling about 10 examples....they bottled out and quietly started bringing the slightly more sobre suited looking 3 door type like you've just bought. These old school 90s Mazdas are pretty much unburstable and yours is going to clean up a treat!

Ha!!!! I know. Hopefully I'm not turning into detailing world. The Maz must have lived down a farm track or something though as the mud was proper caked on so I just thought I'd better wash it out so I could have a proper look for rot. I am gonna go to town on the paintwork with the polishing mop though!!!

The interior is pretty grubby too, Will have to see about that as our hoover is bloody shite, and if you can't even hoover it out you're not gonna get very far with an interior valet are you.

Beko will have a decent hoover i would think. I have seen 51 plate 323 with rear arches hanging off so yours has done will. Looking forward to the polishing photos.

Off topic how is your 75?

Guest Breadvan72

How come that when I go shopping for a cheapo, lightweight, 2/3 door small engined hoonbox, I can only find gopping shitehounds that are at least 1K, but Sir Danglyparts gets this HELLZYEAHmobile for 10p?

I have seen 51 plate 323 with rear arches hanging off so yours has done well.

These were the last real Mazdas before Ford took a further controlling stake in the company in the late 90s...but there was still was a noticeable dive in the quality of the late F series 323s after the Ford takeover..but nothing in comparison to the drop in quality of the following 323s which rotted out at the drop of a hat. Mazda worldwide were struggling at the tail end of the 90s and Ford demanded cost cutting and a cul of various body styles. It's also one of the reasons the more avant-garde 3 door was dropped from the UK as it wasn't appealing to Mazdas traditional slightly older customer base, hence the 323 that followed these was a 5 door only and noticeably less durable and rot prone.

It does make though these little nuggets of Japanese obscurity far more appealing!

These were the last real Mazdas before Ford took a further controlling stake in the company in the late 90s...but there was still was a noticeable dive in the quality of the late F series 323s after the Ford takeover..but nothing in comparison to the drop in quality of the following 323s which rotted out at the drop of a hat. Mazda worldwide were struggling at the tail end of the 90s and Ford demanded cost cutting and a cul of various body styles. It's also one of the reasons the more avant-garde 3 door was dropped from the UK as it wasn't appealing to Mazdas traditional slightly older customer base, hence the 323 that followed these was a 5 door only and noticeably less durable and rot prone.

It does make though these little nuggets of Japanese obscurity far more appealing!

Cheers for the info. I like them, my late grandfather had a F plate 323, it was the run out Javelin model of that shape. In champagne. Lovely old thing it was.

If that was 10 years younger it'd be lucky to be in that condition!

Chop the coils, space the wheels and some yoof will love that. Either that or sell it to Supernaut who appears rather stricken with it, collection!!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

I'm still amazed at the difference between the before and after shots. Also, a 1.5 16v in a little tin can like that must be quite fun!

When my friends and family say I should sort myself out and get a nice new car, that would probably do the trick.  What kind of cock-eyed society do we live where something like that isn't even worth the cost of a second hand phone?  Rare too, which is nice.

Our Suzuki Baleno GSR is doing the daily commute without a problem, that's got a 1.8 litre 16 valve engine from the 323GT.  Drive it like a normal car and it behaves like a slightly dull Micra but if you change up at 6500rpm it goes like hell.

Nice buy. The motor is related to the 1.6 unit in the MX5 (mounted transversely) but the inlet manifold is different - yours is well wierd, I agree, almost looks home-made! V.strong motor because they used this or similar in the turbo version I believe. Cambelt will prob be non-interference as per the 1.6 on the 5 so can fail safely. 

Amazed as to how the paint came back, I thought it'd be like a 90's Vauxhall or Ford  - the infamous colour 'Radiant Pink'. 

parts for these mazda 323'a can be a bit spendy; compared to other cars... a mate of mine bought a sloon one the same colour off an Eastern European lad In Galway, one very wet weeknight, at a shopping centre on the outskirts of the city... itd failed its test on rear springs n shocks, n was already very cheap 'PRICE FIRM' in the ad, but my mate managed to convince him to knock another €50, n the eastern European lad relented, on condition we drop him home, as it was lashing down....

Longstory short, my mate, being a bit of a partime knob drove off on him, without telling me... I was driving the car we travelled up in - 3 or 4 cars back n the foreign lad ran in front of me waving his hands, mega irate - swerved around him, exited the car park n left for home, as I didn't know WTF the craic was, and I had made, nor broken no agreement with him...

...anyhow, Karma's a bitch as it needed a few other bits like bushings, links etc to eventually achieve its test... my mate later punted it on, as it said it was a tad thirsty...

anyhow, best of luck with the wee hatch...

Nicely bought as usual, I was wondering what had become of this one.  Should look tidy when the paint's been depogged.

If it's the same as the 323f underneath it should be a decent steer, I was most impressed with the ex-Cavcraft one, that was a 1.5 too and drove very well - nice handling and a decent turn of speed.