DeLorean: Any sensible sources to buy a car from?

stormee

Do you seriously think any of us scratters are going to have inside Intel on the Delorean market.

I know this forum well and many people here just know where to look for cars, so just asking. Maybe there's a owners' community in the UK or Ireland which I don't know about.

Go to Texas, I think they are making new ones there now. According to "Wheeler Dealers", that's where all the NOS spares are anyway.

Buy one of the many backtothefuture clones and de-twat it back to standard.

They are almost all lhd and are proper shite even though expensive. That stupid bastard film's fault they are so pricey. If you don't want to import your own from Trumpton, networking and the owners club is prob. the best route. Good luck.

I'd love to see a beige one. Hint hint.

Buy one of the many backtothefuture clones and de-twat it back to standard.

They are almost all lhd and are proper shite even though expensive. That stupid bastard film's fault they are so pricey.

I'd love to see a beige one. Hint hint.

^^

:) Yes!

It's strange dynamic. The car is actually pretty shit and has a very shady history, but became iconic due a phenomenally successful movie franchise.

I'm not surprised BTTF replicas are more expensive than stock-spec cars, as at least they have some value by association.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It's strange dynamic. The car is actually pretty shit and has a very shady history, but became iconic due a phenomenally successful movie franchise.

I'm not surprised BTTF replicas are more expensive than stock-spec cars, as at least they have some value by association.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I'd rather de-BTTF a car, sell the BTTF-crap and change the car bak to factory condition.

theres a delorean forum you could join, but, its a bit of a closed shop, but they do seem to swop around bits like tubs/ panels... I remember viewing that forum as a guest n one of the 'leading lights' was clobbling together a 4 door delorean out of stripped tubs - all the bits from a delorean are parts bin bits, so if you spend enough of your free time looking up part no's or origins of the bits John delorean cobbled them together in Belfast, you could in say 15 years have one cobbled together, depending on how handy you are with the spanners 'electrical cleaner'/soldering iron...

Id scan ebay/liquidation auctions, myself, if I wanted one- which I dont; events company's/wedding company 'transporation experts' trading outfits that have gone under... the sort that rent out 3 wheeled delboy reliant vans, n blues brothers mobiles which are the wrong model....a bankruptcy/liquidation auctions, might be worth looking at; many have been in use for the very original  'back to the future' - marty mcfly man'boy lookalike in red bomber jacket / aging doc  'jumping jiggowattz' in a white boiler suit at a wedding / high rolling knobs restaurant opening etc etc

Get in touch with Wolfgang Hank.

He is "Mr. Delorean" in Germany, if not in the world, very nice and trustworthy chap, met him at verious meetings.

He runs a garage that does mostly DeLoreans and he also trades cars and parts. Did a tour around the world and the blog about  is very good reading: http://www.deloreanworldtour.com/cms/index.php?lang=en

His very good Website is at: http://www.deloman.de.

Read "Preisfindung" and why you should not buy a cheap one (cheap means 30K €): http://deloman.de/servicemenu/preisfindung

Contact info is on his site: http://deloman.de/impressum

It's ironic that they are so well known and expensive now because of a film where they were only used because they were A, weird and virtually unknown and b, cheap.

I went in one once, I have also seen pics of them disassembling an esprit next to the production line. Sadly they chose to copy Lotus build quality not the handling or engines.

Guest Breadvan72

The car as originally designed was said to be almost undriveable, so Lotus were paid to make mods that made the car merely terrible.   In the process Colin Chapman, a London spiv to the last, pocketed a bung of public finds, and he would have gone to jail if he had not pulled the old dropping dead for tax reasons ruse.   In the event the crooked John DeLorean himself beat the rap on dubious grounds, and only the poor stiff accountant got potted.

A friend of mine adores them and has owned one in the past.  He knows a lot about them and says he would love another.

He also has no hesitation in admitting that they're badly made, unreliable and full of design compromises - mainly I think (and I'm no expert) it boils down to a compromised and largely untested design being poorly assembled by an inexperienced workforce with no budget.  Still, they do look cool and the design was nothing if not brave.  They do seem to have a fanatical following and prices are quite terrifying in the UK from what I've seen.

People always say these cars are shit but why?

Is it the cliche thing like all Marinas are shit or is it something tangible like they don't steer as you'd expect, they've crap brakes or you spend more time at the side of the road with both bonnets up?

Supercar looks and price tag, without the performance to match.

This R&T test from the 1980s makes interesting reading.

Supercar looks and price tag, without the performance to match.

This R&T test from the 1980s makes interesting reading.

that sums it up pretty well, to be fair the interiors of a lot of super cars are very ropey, the problem with the DeLorean was that it didn't have the performance to make you forget it had been ropily made. It wasn't helped by the stupid yank speedo regulations which made people think they were stupidly slow. They are a very interesting car for the history and a true piece of automotive history, whether they are worth the price tag is something that only an individual can decide.

In the words of Josh Baskin "I don't get it. So it's not fast and it was expensive, loads of cars could be labeled as that yet this one comes with a reputation of being crap.

Yeah we know it was made from a bunch of random parts and my a new and relatively unskilled workforce but again (as has been said) other cars this expensive have been the same. They break down too don't they?

It just sounds again like this is a rumor that is repeated again and again yet goes very few people have driven one but they've seen in a film and at a show and have been told it's not that good. What are the facts?