EXPRESS delivery: 2 seater MG (van) returns to maker

HMC

These MG Rover curiosities have long been on my radar. I'd love to have been at a board meeting where the case to build these was put. I suppose development costs were nill as the base vehicle ( Rover commerce) and all the running gear ( mg ZR) already existed. Maybe the boys on the night shift had been on the old speckled hen as the build data for this and the few other examples Ive got build data on all show as rolling off the assembly line in the wee small hours. At any rate, only just over 300 were made, this being the 167th out of longbridge.....
post-4673-0-73227700-1487353509_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-61359700-1487353540_thumb.jpg

These MG Rover curiosities have long been on my radar. I'd love to have been at a board meeting where the case to build these was put. I suppose development costs were nill as the base vehicle ( Rover commerce) and all the running gear ( mg ZR) already existed. Maybe the boys on the night shift had been on the old speckled hen as the build data for this and a couple of other examples all show as rolling off the assembly line in the wee small hours. At any rate, only just over 300 were made, this being the 157th out of longbridge.....

I buy a ZR, you buy one with the side windows and rear seats missing and yet you have won!

• 1 month later...

Took my less common 2 seater MG to the pride of Longbridge.

I arrived late last night and made a refective visit to the factory gates by moonlight. Car assembly ceased at the site late last year.

post-4673-0-58414500-1492278526_thumb.jpg

(spoiler- mentallist alert) I also had hatched a plan to try and buy the former pre production/development hack/saic factory fire patrol Rover 75 that was last MOTd in 2010 and had been left abandoned on the perimeter of the site. The gates were open and I fell into conversation with site security. They, I suspect are well used to nut job enthusiasts like myself. It had latterly been their own car and had got into quite bad shape. Sadly, although untill recently it had sat derelict, it and a number of other vehicles from the MG rover era, the final remains, had been crushed. This fits in with other similar reports from february this year.

post-4673-0-80733700-1492278688_thumb.jpg

I made may way back to my accommodation. Part of the redevelopment of the old factory site.

post-4673-0-11220200-1492278726_thumb.jpg

My Premier inn and the adjacent poundland had previously been the site of the machine shop for the O series engine. I mused on this whlist nursing a beer. Theres a common ancestry with the L series diesel in the MG van and the T series turbo in my vitesse; The O series was the starting point for the perkins prima which became, in a triggers broom style fashion the L series. Similarly the T series turbo has lineage through the M series that debuted in the mk1 800 back to the O series. Anywhoo. Had a nice day wandering around the field of broken dreams and all in all had a great day out. This MG van flies as it basically is a stripped out mg zr hatch with said L series diesel providing loads of lazy torque. Very addictive!post-4673-0-72685100-1492281451_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-73085300-1492281488_thumb.jpg

My Premier inn and the adjacent poundland had previously been the site of the machine shop for the O series engine. I mused on this whlist nursing a beer. Theres a common ancestry with the L series diesel in the MG van and the T series turbo in my vitesse; The O series was the starting point for the perkins prima which became, in a triggers broom style fashion the L series. Similarly the T series turbo has lineage through the M series that debuted in the mk1 800 back to the O series. Anywhoo. Had a nice day wandering around the field of broken dreams and all in all had a great day out. This MG van flies as it basically is a stripped out mg zr hatch with said L series diesel providing loads of lazy torque. Very addictive!

Putting my anorak firmly on.....

The O series starting point was the crankshaft from the B series engine. New machinery to make the 1800 B crank was expensively installed at Longbridge in the early 70's and it was decreed that the money could not be wasted. So, the O used this item (although machined up slightly differently).

Lindsay Porter wrote a great article called "The story of "O" about the development of the engine in one of the '80's car mags.

I love all that sort of stuff.

Lovely looking Express,even if it does have the wrong engine  ;-) .Now the weather's getting better,I'm trying to get on with getting my Express 160 back on the road after I crashed it last year.I've already taken the front bumper off & pulled out the radiator mounting panel,today I pulled the rear beam out of the donor car.

This event gets bigger every year, and there's always some interesting oddities turn up. One of my favourites today was an Austin Apache which made me do a massive double-take. Only two 600s turned up, which made them appear rare against a sea of 75s.

The Metro did the 300 miles today without complaint, even if it did take 4 hours each way. Been a long day, but a good one.

Saw a couple of cruises towards Longbridge, plenty of chod... I mean "fine British vehicles". I was headed the other direction towards Worcester way.

Bonus points to the guy in the TF who was properly hooning it down the A46, looked like he'd been left behind and was trying to catch up as he was 5 minutes behind a long line of MGs. He'd mistakenly* put the PoL plaque things over both his front and rear numberplates.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk