Alfa 156 sportwagon - Broken already ALFISTI PLS HALP

Dave_Q

Of course it was going to pass

Top Alfa Bombing.

Oil leak most likely gearbox driveshaft seals - they all do that, sir.  Pop an undertray under it and the insulation material will soak it up.  Then drive the life out of it, it will go on and on, being a 10v

Thanks all, need to go and collect after work, and tax in the morning.

Might drive it to the supermarket tomorrow. Woo!

Now more Boost? 

Not immediately.

First, I think there is some sort of boost control issue as all the power happens at once at 2000rpm. 

Am probably gonna do a few more miles first and maybe Mr Muscle the turbo.

Secondly, the boostwrangling process isn't as simple as it is for VAGSHITE. 320T and I have put some time into mapfinding in the file from his car, but the main keys to the digital kingdom of GLF have remained hidden so far. 

Top work, 700/10 for saving this most excellent of motor vehicles. I was quite surprised that these rust like they do on the basis that the Italians were among the first to (superficially, at least) beat the rust bug.

Sorry to hear about the exhaust croding though, whatever that is.

Taxed this morning and done some running about.

Some issues outstanding:

Still a knock of some sort, sounds like the other droplink or perhaps ARB bush.

ABS light on

Remote locking doesn't work

N/S/R electric window no worky.

FTFY

Mine is deffo a Veloce then. :)

But the child who sits in the N/S/R is most disappoint that her window doesn't go down!

The sound is pretty good, I asked my wife if she thought it sounded different to hers (she has similar levels of style and taste so drives a facelift 147 with the "pour femme" 1.9 8v dizzler) and she said it's much more growly.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed about 3 days driving this before the aux belt started making shreddy noises.

To be fair the car was advertised as having a belt noise, when I got it the 6 rib belt was already down to 5 ribs. 

So I put a new belt on. The assorted tensioners and pulleys all seemed OK, which was GR12 news as the sprung tensioner thing is well pricey.

Test drove it about 50 yards up the street, shreddy noise, belt thrown.

I followed the procedure I found online which is:

Lock sprung tensioner with allen key or something

Tension on eccentric tensioner until key can be removed. 

So I thought I'd better check before putting another belt on. 

First: I just got a 6PK1750 normal belt - I've read something about a stretchy belt?

Second: Which way should I be turning the eccentric tensioner to tension it? Clockwise (towards the crank sprocket) or away from it?

Third: Following the above procedure seems to make the belt MEGA tight, is it possible to over tension by locking the sprung tensioner wrong? Any links to pics of how to do it?

I'm guessing that maybe the belt wasn't sat right and that's why it's been thrown, but if any of the JTD MASSIV can advise me on whether I'm doing it right, that'd be grand.

Put my new belt on tonight, tried turning it over by hand first and the belt is trying to work it's way off the alternator pulley.

Some investigation has shown that it's the sprung tensioner, something is broken in the pivot so the pulley is on a bit of an angle.

So have just shelled out £80 for a new one :(