Alfa 156 sportwagon - Broken already ALFISTI PLS HALP

Dave_Q

Did you win?

It's currently half time, I rang a few minutes ago and was told that it was currently being tested, however we were 0-1 down as it had already been identified that the middle belt in the back wasn't working. 

Hopefully the lads can dig in and get a result, but if I were a gambling gamblist I'd put a fiver on the Ministry coming out on top here. 

In my favour is the big sigh my MOT station give when I present one of my heaps, they will not want this match to go to extra time or a replay.

Well the lads played their hearts out, but it wasn't to be.

I'm not sure how some of this has got worse in the 2 miles it's done since the last test, but anyway.

Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
Central Rear Seat belt locking mechanism does not secure or release (5.2.5a)
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Offside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Nearside Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.1b)
Offside Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.1b)
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

At least it all looks achievable in the 2 week retest period this time.

Surely there should be a 'plastic headlights are cloudy and therefore fucked' box for them to tick.

Good luck with the two weeks time limit, just don't be a dick and get something else tested within the next two days which will also need work for a retest, only an idiot would do that! (After I managed to get both done within the time limit I told the tester that if I ever do it again he has to tell me 'not to be so silly' or something like that)

Entirely thanks to my ace project management skillz, and not at all coincidence, next test due is my wife's Alfa which isn't till the end of July.

That gives time for the 156 to limp victoriously to the road, and may even allow a couple of weeks for me to get a motorbike running and sold in between, or more likely do some of the pressing work on my Berlingo like finding and fixing some clonks, making the Speedo work, etc etc.

Progress already!

Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

✔ New ones ordered off of ebay.

Central Rear Seat belt locking mechanism does not secure or release (5.2.5a)

✔ Bit of an odd one this seeing as I hadn't touched it, the belt was pulled really tight into the seat and wouldn't pull out, I tilted the seat forward and unbolted it at the bottom to release it, and it was fine.

Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

✔Did work with a prod

Offside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

✘ Didn't work with a prod, probably bulb

Nearside Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.1b)

post-17573-0-22261200-1497644670_thumb.jpg

Had a quick scratch at this as it's clearly not so clear anymore, was using 1200 grit though and it wasn't making much progress. Will try again with 800 maybe, then some cutting compound.

Offside Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.1b)

post-17573-0-72219800-1497644693_thumb.jpg

As above.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there now.

post-17573-0-90612200-1498510090_thumb.jpg

Got this thing off and replaced, was a bit of a shit job featuring:

-fire required to break taper on balljoint

-grinder required to chop off reluctant balljoint bolt and 1 droplink bolt

-the arm is an arse to wrangle into place because the bushes are set at the right angle for weighted suspension

-once wrangled into place, you have to thread the bolts in through a hole that barely lines up

-partly rounding off the last bolthole and having to take it all out to run a tap down the threads and start again

Had a crack at the lights as well, featuring my new toy - a polisher purchased from RobT and ferried to me by the power of Strangeangel and shitefest.

post-17573-0-60971100-1498510184_thumb.jpg

Had a bash with cutting compound, followed by autosol as per Stanky's tip. 

No before picture but here are the afters.

post-17573-0-53671200-1498510273_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-99090400-1498510375_thumb.jpg

The beam looks fine on my scientifically calibrated oil stained cardboard?

post-17573-0-85426800-1498510457_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-22221000-1498510529_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do for retest is adjust the handbrake and fit a numberplate light bulb.

At this rate I may even have time to wob the sideskirt back on and fit a radio.

Last few things fixed now.

Adjusted up the handbrake and put some bulbs in the number plate lights, then had some time for fripperies like:

A radio

post-17573-0-49741200-1498771328_thumb.jpg

and wobbing the sideskirt on.

post-17573-0-76068400-1498771433_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look bad from 10 yards with the skirt to cover up the welding.

post-17573-0-13128700-1498771562_thumb.jpg

Although because IR stupid I managed to put these scrapes on the arch by jacking the car up too close to the garage wall.

post-17573-0-59915600-1498771595_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-96461600-1498771615_thumb.jpg

And I noticed that the arch on this side is pretty crispy as well.

post-17573-0-92707400-1498771692_thumb.jpg

Retest tomorrow.

While the desire to own any Alfa Romeo leaves me in a state of total bewilderment, I can only admire your dedication to this particular cause.

May the welding, the oil stained cardboard and the Tiger Seal all have done their job, and allow the beast to achieve the required standard at this third time of asking. All available appendages will remain crossed until news of the result is posted.

While the desire to own any Alfa Romeo leaves me in a state of total bewilderment, I can only admire your dedication to this particular cause.

May the welding, the oil stained cardboard and the Tiger Seal all have done their job, and allow the beast to achieve the required standard at this third time of asking. All available appendages will remain crossed until news of the result is posted.

Frankly, as many people tried to point out some months ago, if I had to have one of these there was absolutely zero sense in wasting any time or effort on welding up this one.

But anyway, here I am, I quite like the thing, maybe I can drive it somewhere soon.

That might be nice.

Good luck for tomorrow. It looks swish on those 166(?) wheels.

They're LUSSO wheels M9, they do look similar to some 166 ones but they are a 156 wheel.

I think they're actually fairly rare as you seem to get more pov-spec Veloce ones than LUSSO spec like what proper executives drive.

I must admit the old wheels were pretty hanging actually, they were really "giving it the full Alfa" in the corrosion stakes.

I know the paint on them was original because it was an absolute bastard to remove, resistant to both chemical and physical attack, yet underneath the paint large areas had bubbled up with alloy corrosion. How do they manage to do that?

The paint wouldn't even do the decent thing and just flake off, I ended up buying a powerfile to attack them with in the end.

But, yeah, I do like the wheels, just a shame about being £40 down on buying them after the old ones went missing.

Always worth asking at the NP Dave... I've got one of those I haven't used for years, loads of belts etc.

Ah well, at least I've got one now, I never think of buying more tools as a waste, particularly considering how much I hate sanding. 

Anyway...

post-17573-0-84291100-1498819650_thumb.png

I did actually change the drop link, my MOT place never bother to remove the advisories but whatever.