Any Xantia experts on here? Cheep french tat surrendered. DONE FIXERED IT

sutty2006

Buy a Xantia they said.......... It'll be fun(ny) they said........

Ive given up selling the Xantia. After battling through the MOT work and getting it road worthy, I feel its fighting against me at every post. I fixed the coolant leaks, then the exhaust fell off while parked at work. How that happens I dont know, it was fine when I parked it up. But anyway, I have a new issue that needs to be resolved.

On my way home from work one day last week the ESP light came on. And stayed on. Until the following morning when it went out. Weird. So I decided to go to the shops in it for some garlic and cheese last saturday morning. I got the end of the road and lost brakes pretty much completely. Thats right. NO BRAKES. It felt like the ABS pump was firing constantly.

This was fairly scary so I turned back and parked it up. I decided to check the LHM fluid, which I had checked a week previous (and it was fine). Suspension in top height, engine running the fluid was low. I topped it up with about 1/4 a litre. Brakes are still the same. If I pump the pedal at a standstill, its rock hard and fine but the moment I move the car the lack of braking force is severly reduced.

Ive tried googling the fault but common issues on these Xantias is rare as the following is small (or undisclosed, which I dont blame them really)

Any thoughts on the issue? I cant see it being air in the system as the brakes would be spongy at standstill.

Its a 2.0 hdi by the way

Failing that, I will hold a ceremonial burning sacrifice offering to the car gods.

post-17429-0-16437300-1487318218_thumb.jpg

Xantia brakes don't work like other brakes. On normal brakes the braking effort comes from your foot, helped by the servo. On a Xantia pressing the pedal basically opens a valve and the braking effort comes from the pressure in the system, which comes from the pump. Air in the system doesn't make the pedal spongy, instead it causes a delay between pressing the pedal and the brakes coming on- the time it takes for the pressure in the system to compress the bubbles.

I'm not sure if that's relevant to your issue but hopefully it'll help you to understand a bit of what's going on in the brakes.

Pull the fuses to disable the ABS then try it? My one I always give the brakes a quick pump before pulling away as occasionally they decide to scare you the first time you need to stop. When the ABS started playing up on mine I did get the one time where if felt like the ABS had gone into overdrive and I nearly rear ended the car in front due to lack of brakes.

When my HDi Xantia cracked a reluctor ring it used to put the ABS light on above a certain speed and when it finally shed the ring the light was on all the time. It didn't affect the braking at all apart from the ABS being disabled. French though, so the same fault on an identical car might give completely different symptoms.

I've known various forms of initial braking failure in all different cars (they soon came on with a second pedal push), never in a hydraulic Cit of my own but did sort out a 600,000 mile DS which had a small air leak in a tired HP pump which was firing a line of bubbles into the system.

Faulty ABS systems can cause that heart-stopping moment, so check the rings as suggested above and pull the fuse on the system to see if disabling it solves the problem. Otherwise, it's a matter of checking the brake lines and other bits for leaks and bubbles of air - the Citroen system is the same as any other in this respect, it's just that the power is supplied from a reservoir of pressure rather than your leg shoving a piston down a bore, with amplification by the engine vacuum or an engine-driven vacuum pump.

Obviously this reservoir of pressure needs to be there for the brakes to work, if you don't understand how this works with an accumulator, valve and pump then take it to someone who does quick sharp. It's very simple, but as with anything brake-wise, getting it wrong means lives are at risk.

I was under the impression the accumulator was more of a 'reserve' sort of thing, so when the pump is running, you're not using the accumulator. It does, however, provide you with enough reserve to stop if the drive belt on the pump snaps.

When my accumulator was gubbed, the car also took a while to rise once lowered. Now, however, it seems to help it up a bit quicker.

Pull the fuses to disable the ABS then try it? My one I always give the brakes a quick pump before pulling away as occasionally they decide to scare you the first time you need to stop. When the ABS started playing up on mine I did get the one time where if felt like the ABS had gone into overdrive and I nearly rear ended the car in front due to lack of brakes.

Thats what im getting.....

If it's the same as a 1.8 pez one talk to Tabact and see if you can have the one off his scrap car, or Ruffgeezer has about 40 xantias parked in a field somewhere...

Mucho sympathy here, since it could quite easily happen to any of us!

Occasionally mine doesnt brake first time, normally after 14 miles of M40, I now tap the brakes a bit then lift off then brake properly. I put mine down to shit old fluid/spheres/french

If it's the same as a 1.8 pez one talk to Tabact and see if you can have the one off his scrap car, or Ruffgeezer has about 40 xantias parked in a field somewhere...

That's one of the parts I'll being hanging onto.

Having a browse of the French Car Forum repair parts for the valve could still available or could possibly be a perished pipe.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45249