Advice on next autoshite purchase.

skip_rat

I have read this forum for years, but just registered today to try to tap into the collective Autoshite wisdom...

At the moment I have a SAAB 9000 Anniversary Turbo and a Volvo 940 Turbo (both auto). They are both great but I would like a smaller more economic car for everyday running about.

It needs to be an automatic, ideally a 5 door hatchback and have comfortable seats and soft suspension as I have a bad back. Other than that old and weird will be great. The budget is up to £1500. I was thinking something like an old renault 5  or a clio unless anyone has a better idea.

I* had a Mk1 Clio and the supension was great. The seats were shit but it was a pov-spec RL; posher models appear to have much better ones. It was a diesel which was obviously noisy and agricultural, but it went well and of course sipped fuel. Not sure if they did an auto diesel though.

*actually my mum's but I drove it more than she did

There's only one car and that's the autoshite car of the month The Rover 75 and you don't have to follow the autoshite rules as the more toys in it the better and you've got to find the oldest one knocking about but I doubt you will find an early one as most have been snapped up by autoshite members.

And you can go smaller as you could get a kettle powered 1.8 over a 6pot for real added shite points..

Or if you want unreliability how about an early model A class Merc as these are like a tardis but the semi auto is known to be fragile but the manual ones and I think the full auto and the later 05 onward ones seem OK

My father has the later model one and its so practical and it was bought for my elderly mother as she has a dodgy hip and it's real easy to get in and out of because of the height but I think these seem to start at around £1500 for an 05 but the earlier ones will give you about £1300 change out of your money.